Fights in the Last 10 Years Better Than Sanchez/Melendez

Gilbert melendez was a great fight but second best this year imo.

I still have gus Jones as the best, considering what was at stake, the technical aspect which was just amazing to see and the underdog status of gustaffson.

Put simply like this, if there was a rematch between gil and diego and between gus and jones, what would you rather see? I got gus jones every time. Not taking anything away from sanchez and melendez it was a sick fight that lived up to the hype

You say Gus/Jones was better than Grice/Bermudez?

Melendez vs Sanchez was good but hell no Rogan was probably high when he said it was the best fight of all time. Hendo-Shogun was better, Shogun vs Nogueira was arguably better, Wand vs Stann, arguably Jones vs Gustaffson, Manhoef vs Cyborg and many more.

The fight was too one sided to be the best ever Melendez was dominating almost the entire fight it was a good fight and that's it Rogan says something retarded on every UFC event and that was it last night

Great entertaining fight but you could make a strong case its #5 for just this year.

I would put Gus Jones, Wand-Stann, Grice Bermudez, and probably Hendricks-Condit above it.

For as disappointing as 2012 was, 2013 has straight delivered.

hominick and jabouin was pretty entertaining as well.

shogun versus rogerio nogueira is still the best fight i've ever seen.

i loved sanchez/melendez though because of the heart and determination shown by both, but especially by sanchez. sanchez is right there with wanderlei and big nog when it comes to heart. that dude is a straight-up warrior.

after shogun/nogueira, i'll go with sanchez/melendez, followed by hendo and shogun.

Thought Sanchez and Melendez were one man actually. Then I realized he is Melendez when he plays it safe and never going for finish. So actually every fight when one guy is not circling around waiting for a decision is better than this one. I don't care about his amazing conditioning and all of that shit.

So because Diego gets hit in the head a lot, this fight is one of the best of all times?

Melendez-Sanchez was a good fight, but I didn't think it was that good. Melendez was beating up Diego pretty much the whole fight until near the very end where Diego got him with the uppercut. Good drama, but not edge of seat level when comparing to others.

Just LW's alone I think these are better:

Gomi vs Diaz
Gomi vs Azeredo II
Hansen vs Sakurai
Hansen vs Azeredo
Hansen vs Alvarez
Hansen vs Edwards
Edgar vs Maynard II and III
Chandler vs Alvarez
Kawajiri vs Alvarez
Melendez vs Kawajiri I
Tyson Griffin vs Edgar

Last edited:
So because Diego gets hit in the head a lot, this fight is one of the best of all times?

it was one of the best of all-times because of the drama within the fight itself. every fight doesn't have to be a technical masterpiece for it to be considered one of the best. this fight went back and forth, and displayed an almost amazing comeback from sanchez. this fight had amazing heart. the crowd was screaming diego's name for christ's sake.

the fight showed a bit of everything that is needed to produce a fight for the ages. this fight did that.

Maynard Edgar 2 and 3
Guida vs Sanchez
Hendo vs Shogun
Chuck vs Wand
Faber vs Cruz 2
Guida vs Huerta
Maybe not all better but all just as entertaining

Shogun vs Hendo = 2 all time greats fighting like bums.

Grice vs Bermudez (that these guys are getting mentioned should tell you something)
Huerta vs Garcia
Chandler vs Alvarez
Shogun vs Henderson
Rampage vs Wanderlei 2
Kz vs Garcia
Lil Nog vs Shogun
Ninja vs Sperry
Gomi vs Azeredo 2
Forrest vs Bonnar
Herring vs Nog
melendez vs Ishida
Griffin vs. Edgar
Edgar vs Maynard I

Not as good as fights in the last few years like Chandler/Alvarez and Jones/Gus. I'd say Varner/Lauzon was better too. I'm missing a few. It was better than Shogun/Hendo though because of the gassing in that fight. It was the gasless version. Some people have different criteria, but I vastly prefer fights where the participants aren't dead tired (like Shogun/Hendo) or don't lack technical ability (like Shogun/Hendo and Melendez/Sanchez. Those fights both had a disregard for defense, wild striking, and poor bjj. I enjoyed them thoroughly for what they were, action-packed brawls, but the best ever, or even best of the year? I'm asking for a little more to meet that standard, because some fights provide it.

gils fights with Josh Thompson were all better imo.

Boom, 3rd post nails it. Alvarez/Chandler is far and away one of the greatest fights I've ever seen. People rant and rave about Hendo/Shogun being better but they were gassed beyond belief. Eddie and Michael warred it out for almost 20 minutes, each guy got rocked, Eddie got dropped 3 times, Michael got his ass beat in the 3rd round just to come back and get the tap in the 4th. Was absolutely bonkers.

This. Cerrone-Henderson 1 and in recent memory Grice and Bermudez.

Back