FightMetric Report: Cruz landed more strikes everyround, Cody landed at 34%

Yeah, it was impressive that he let him off the hook so many times. He pretty much outclassed him, and still left (intentionally) a lot on the table. There was more than one moment when I swear if he would have rushed Cruz against the fence it would have been a stoppage, to say nothing of that first KD
Yea I definitely felt like Garbrandt could have finished the fight on a few occasions. But honestly winning a convincing and dominating 5 round decision the way he did will leave little doubt to who was the better fighter. If he would have finished Cruz in the first or second, some people would still claim it was a lucky punch or whatnot.

Last edited:
Yeah I think he was pretty gassed and didn't wanna let Cruz land a fluke power punch

That knee that Cruz almost landed made me shit my pants
I was hoping so...I was rooting for Cruz hard, haha...

But Cody impressed the hell out of me. Clearly won, and really made me a fan. Great showing for him.

Cruz could of conceivably won if someone scored 1, 2 and 5 for him and I don't think that's as impossible as people are making it out to be. He tagged Cody quite a bit, and went even for takedowns.

I scored the fight a draw, btw.

http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/25e6b11e1cf45b83

And it didn't matter.
Hopefully this fight serves as an example that Stats don't mean everything in MMA.

I think a BIG factor here is that the first match stats really became a big issue for was Shogun vs Machida 1 and that was a classic example of when they DO matter since both men were throwing nothing but full power shots and besides that one punch from Rua in the 3rd nobody was hurt.

This fight as an obviously example of the opposite with one guy landing by far the better shots in the middle three rounds of the fight plus hurting his opponent multiple times.

Those little chicken wing punches don't mean shit when lil platinum puts you on your ass

ezgif.com-898b04b9fb.gif

That fight at times looked like two of the whitest dudes having a break dance battle.

Cruz could of conceivably won if someone scored 1, 2 and 5 for him and I don't think that's as impossible as people are making it out to be. He tagged Cody quite a bit, and went even for takedowns.

first round super close ,round 2 was cruz's , the third round cruz was winning until he got cut from there he started getting tagged badly however round 5 was for cruz . 4 round 10-8 cody.
some adjustments for cruz and i see him winning the rematch .

watch the fight again without joe's horrible commentary .

Yeah, when people make the argument of counting strikes - it's implying that every strike is created equal. We both know that's not true
If we just count strikes and look at numbers, Cruz deserved rounds 1,2,5 - and only lost 3,4 because of the KDs. It's a facile argument that comes around whenever there's a close decision.
Agree, people can't wrap their head around the fact that more strikes landed does not always mean you out struck your opponent.

I think a BIG factor here is that the first match stats really became a big issue for was Shogun vs Machida 1 and that was a classic example of when they DO matter since both men were throwing nothing but full power shots and besides that one punch from Rua in the 3rd nobody was hurt.

This fight as an obviously example of the opposite with one guy landing by far the better shots in the middle three rounds of the fight plus hurting his opponent multiple times.

They only matter to support arguments in very very close fights, but even in those fights they don't tell the whole story - but people use them as such. Round 1 of Cruz/Cody was close (very close to some) and I thought Dom landed some good heat back. Imagine, for a moment, that we're just arguing about who won that round, there are some (and it happens every fight that someone thinks is a robbery) that would argue that Dom won that "close" round because he outlanded his opponent. Some people have used the stats to argue that because one guy landed more effeciently, that's enough to support an argument that they won a fight or round. And if you give Dom round 1, that turns this fight into a draw.

I know this is an extreme example (and intentionally silly), and nobody would ever think that this fight was not Cody's victory.

I can't imagine anyone who

Yea I definitely felt like Garbrandt could have finished the fight on a few occasions. But honestly winning a convincing and dominating 5 round decision the way he did will leave little doubt to who was the better fighter. If he would have finished Cruz in the first or second, some people would still claim it was a lucky punch or whatnot.
I thought he showed a lot of control. Impressive, since the big speculation was about how Dom's Ttalk was going to affect his mental state.

To me Cruz getting the second would be a bad call, perhaps not an aweful call but Cody clearly seemed to be landing the better shots to me. The 1st and the 5th could go his way but really as with GSP/Hendricks theres a difference between "could go his way" and "should go his way", if your having to give one guy every close round for him to win(or draw) then for me its normally a sign he didn't deserve it.

They only matter to support arguments in very very close fights, but even in those fights they don't tell the whole story - but people use them as such. Round 1 of Cruz/Cody was close (very close to some) and I thought Dom landed some good heat back. Imagine, for a moment, that we're just arguing about who won that round, there are some (and it happens every fight that someone thinks is a robbery) that would argue that Dom won that "close" round because he outlanded his opponent. Some people have used the stats to argue that because one guy landed more effeciently, that's enough to support an argument that they won a fight or round. And if you give Dom round 1, that turns this fight into a draw.

I know this is an extreme example (and intentionally silly), and nobody would ever think that this fight was not Cody's victory.

I think they matter in fights were the strikes counted tend to be close to even, with something like SHogun/Machida there was really nothing but full power punchs, kicks and knees being landed from two guys with similar power anyway. That's very different to say Lawler/Condit where one guy is landing weak point scoring lowkicks and jabs and the other is landing much more powerful punches.

I think Garbrandt clearly won and was the better fighter throughout, but there were 3 rounds where he didn't run away with things. I had Cruz scraping two rounds, and the first round was relatively close (clearly Garbrandt's round in my eyes, but it wasn't by a considerable margin).
I also thought rd 1 was close when I first watched the fight but when I re watched it, I didn't think it was close at all. Clearly Cody won rd 1. It often helps to rewatch the fights my man.

first round super close ,round 2 was cruz's , the third round cruz was winning until he got cut from there he started getting tagged badly however round 5 was for cruz . 4 round 10-8 cody.
some adjustments for cruz and i see him winning the rematch

I was 100% in the Cruz corner, but this is how I see it too. If one scores round 1 for Cruz, then it's a tie and I wouldn't be grochy about it at all, but I think Cody won fair and square.

And at the end it was a darn good fight, so that's what really matters.

Back