fightmetric introduces the next frontier of MMA stats

Can't we just use our eyes for where the fighters are in the cage!?!?!?!?!?!?

If you've watched the first Shogun/Machida fight... you know that apparently doesn't work with MMA in general. Movement really doesn't matter.

If you've watched the first Shogun/Machida fight... you know that apparently doesn't work with MMA in general. Movement really doesn't matter.

Hypothetically IF judging were changed for the better this would then become an interesting metric for judging. But in reality MMAth is messed up and I don't believe the sport found the correct scoring system yet. Not loosely based on an initial boxing system combined with both martial and athletic arts that has not been changed or adapted at all in almost 2 decades.

IF it were? This would then become a useful metric for measuring control. But only if judging was repaired. Until someone at least creates or attempts to create a more accurate representation of what goes on in the cage. At least it shows someone is out there trying.

Hypothetically IF judging were changed for the better this would then become an interesting metric for judging. But in reality MMAth is messed up and I don't believe the sport found the correct scoring system yet. Not loosely based on an initial boxing system combined with both martial and athletic arts that has not been changed or adapted at all in almost 2 decades.

IF it were? This would then become a useful metric for measuring control. But only if judging was repaired. Until someone at least creates or attempts to create a more accurate representation of what goes on in the cage. At least it shows someone is out there trying.

The problem is that even in this your paradigm is skewed. You assume it can tell us anything about WHY they stepped here or there. Aggression does not indicate control. A counter-striker, a judoka, a ChinNa practitioner, all must retreat to succeed. Russia in WW2 and all that. In the end all the fancy new system tells us is where they stepped.

This is pretty cool.

No one said it would be a judging criteria,so I'm not sure where this 2 pages of bitching comes from

I think it's pretty cool to see. But I don't know what it really does improvement wise.

Unless they're wanting to score octagon control more effectively...

The problem is that even in this your paradigm is skewed. You assume it can tell us anything about WHY they stepped here or there. Aggression does not indicate control. A counter-striker, a judoka, a ChinNa practitioner, all must retreat to succeed. Russia in WW2 and all that. In the end all the fancy new system tells us is where they stepped.

There is no paradigm. It's a suggestion of what could happen. Which does not make it wrong, simply attempting to understand. I assume the people behind the metric did the same thing and tried creating something. I am sure they may even go back and adapt it later. Please don't mistake cynicism for truth or imaginative scenarios.

I hope they start taking into account Twitter followers.

This is some Spec Ops type of shit right here. Except all we see is a giant blob of a heat signature.

Back