fightmetric introduces the next frontier of MMA stats

I'm usually really interested in sports stats, including in MMA. This, however, looks like a stupid thing to track.

Absolutely useless and meaningless. Where someone is relative to another in the cage is inconsequential (or should be). Another rubbish metric to try and equate to 'octagon control' which it in itself is a garbage criteria

Exactly right.

This would seem to add so little to any legitimate analysis of a fight...so who the f**k cares?

lame.

This seems cool to have stats about a fighter but this shouldn't be considered for judging

This is only useful if it is stratified by position. E.g. Heat Map 1 - standing; Heat Map 2 - Fighter X in guard; Heat Map 3, Fighter X in half-guard, etc.

You could split it up into three categories: standing / guard / dominant position heatmaps.

Otherwise, it obviously doesn't help to show you that one guy had his back to the fence for half of the round without telling you he was in top mount the entire time.

Where someone is relative to another in the cage is inconsequential (or should be).

That's actually not true. If you could create a heatmap only for standing positions, a lot of time spent in the center of the octagon would correlate highly with one of the scoring criterion: octagon control.

It's a scoring consideration for a reason: fighting in nature is usually about territory--whether guarding a thing or place or taking it--so controlling the real estate is a legitimate way to score. Just ask anyone who has scored a Lyoto Machida decision loss. Of course, it's a tertiary component behind effective striking and effective grappling, but it's not "inconsequential."

Can't we just use our eyes for where the fighters are in the cage!?!?!?!?!?!?

That's actually not true. If you could create a heatmap only for standing positions, a lot of time spent in the center of the octagon would correlate highly with one of the scoring criterion: octagon control.

It's a scoring consideration for a reason: fighting in nature is usually about territory--whether guarding a thing or place or taking it--so controlling the real estate is a legitimate way to score. Just ask anyone who has scored a Lyoto Machida decision loss. Of course, it's a tertiary component behind effective striking and effective grappling, but it's not "inconsequential."

You're right that its in the criteria, but that wasn't what I was suggesting. I suggested that it SHOULDN'T be scored and is essentially a meaningless metric.

And I say this because MMA isn't sumo wrestling or the game 'go'. Fighting (actual combat between two combatants trying to hurt each other) is NOT about cage/ring territory or position (and should not be). The objective of fighting is about (well again, it should be about) damage and finishing (or proximity to finishing) the opponent.

For example, a fighter could be backing away all night and constantly landing and damaging and threatening the finish, without being damaged in the slightest, thus the position in that scenario is irrelevant. But there's 'octagon control' which my argument is that its just a stupid criteria.

Someone make an argument to me where a fighter is doing no damage or threatening their opponent, but is receiving damage and being threatened. How is 'controlling the real estate' any value to them? Why should they be rewarded for it?

But I agree that it is not 'inconsequential' to current scoring, and that further illustrates my point that it SHOULD NOT BE considered in current scoring and is a worthless and stupid thing to consider when judging combat.

Last edited:
Speaking of stats, I'd be much more impressed if they simply place a digital scale on front of the cage entrance so we can see each fighter's actual weight on fight night while the ref examine their gloves and mouthpiece.

Speaking of stats, I'd be much more impressed if they simply place a digital scale on front of the cage entrance so we can see each fighter's actual weight on fight night while the ref examine their gloves and mouthpiece.

Yes that would be a great idea to see their actual weight

For example, a fighter could be backing away all night and constantly landing and damaging and threatening the finish, without being damaged in the slightest, thus the position in that scenario is irrelevant. But there's 'octagon control' which my argument is that its just a stupid criteria.

Yeah, but in that case that guy would still win based on the current scoring criteria that weighs damage higher than control.

Control is important in a lot of situations, like where the striking and grappling are even (or the fight is very uneventful) and one fighter is at least trying to engage and pushing the pace.

I also disagree when you say that fighting isn't about controlling territory. Controlling territory--whether to protect a spot or a thing or a person from another--or taking that territory from another is the purpose for fighting, naturally and instinctively. That should be reflected in the scoring system.

This seems cool to have stats about a fighter but this shouldn't be considered for judging

That's all it's for, tracking movement and fighter tenancies. I can't fathom how it would be used as a judge's tool.

I also disagree when you say that fighting isn't about controlling territory. Controlling territory--whether to protect a spot or a thing or a person from another--or taking that territory from another is the purpose for fighting, naturally and instinctively. That should be reflected in the scoring system.
This isn't capture the flag dawg.

That's pretty cool perspective of a fight TBH.

Hopefully no one will judge the fights that way indeed.

Yes that would be a great idea to see their actual weight

Unfortunately, it will never happen. The UFC had gone as far as changing fighters' height to make it looks like both fighters are on par, they would never allow the audience to know that one fighter is actually one weight class above the other on fight night.

Back