fightmatrix's greatest fighters of all time

I like how well Machida's faired, he'll be 7-3 in another month

GSP with the best record, sounds about right for the GOAT :)

Are they in an order of some sorts?
well fightmatrix's current top 25 is
1. Anderson Silva
2. Georges St. Pierre
3. Fedor Emelianenko
4. Matt Hughes
5. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
6. B.J. Penn
7. Dan Henderson
8. Randy Couture
9. Urijah Faber
10. Wanderlei Silva
11. Jose Aldo
12. Quinton Jackson
13. Chuck Liddell
14. Nate Marquardt
15. Takanori Gomi
16. Gilbert Melendez
17. Josh Barnett
18. Lyoto Machida
19. Mauricio Rua
20. Frankie Edgar
21. Jon Jones
22. Rashad Evans
23. Jon Fitch
24. Shinya Aoki
25. Rich Franklin

the other six (Tito, Cro Cop, Jake Shields, Miguel Torres, Paulo Filho and Sean Sherk) used to be on the list, but aren't any more (they aren't put in order of departure from the list BTW)

Penn's strength of schedule puts him sixth. Nice.

No Frank Mir - but Big Nog at 5 - flawed analysis.

No Frank Mir - but Big Nog at 5 - flawed analysis.
right, but as fightmatrix puts it "head to head clashes have a minor, but direct affect"
in other words, Frank Mir may have won his two matches with Nog (and I am by no means diminishing Mir's legacy-to recover from an accident like the one he suffered from and to come back as a relevant fighter is inspiring); but he never faced the competition that nog faced, nor were his skills truly at par with Nog

Penn's strength of schedule puts him sixth. Nice.
very true, BJ Penn may not have always won, but he always faced top guys (look a FM's all time divisional top 25 rankings, 21 of BJ's 27 fights have been against guys ranked in at least one division). His wins over guys like Hughes, Sherk and Gomi have solidified him as one of the top fighters of all time

It's easy to hate on Penn, but he took no easy fights and early on beat some of the all time greats. Penn is a legend, plain and simple.

Marquardt, Melendez or Aoki on such list is pure fucking madness. And I like them, generally.

Marquardt, Melendez or Aoki on such list is pure fucking madness. And I like them, generally.

i'd rank both melendez and aoki top 5 of all time at LW.

marquardt top 5 of all time at MW.

melendez has some impressive achievements at FW too, while aoki and marquardt have impressive some achievements at WW.

Back