Fighting w/your hands down

HelioBoy

White Belt
Reaction score
Watching a lot of MMA and MT, I've noticed a lot of fighters do not fight with their hands up. Blame it on fatigue or whatever, why do they do this? Is it because they are lazy? A lot of my instructors are always telling me to "bring my hands up" and etc. Here is a fight where they drop their hands and it's the first round:

http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3CN9HZOHG2GIV0ES66T6JT687O

Also when watching people like Wand Silva and other strikers, they throw a lot of haymakers and punches that seem out of control. They also throw another punch before they even bring their last punch back to their face. Can anyone explain?

Even good fighters are occasionally careless. You should keep your hands up and bring your hands back to protect your face after punching so you don't get lit up.

Notice both fighters in that video got knocked down inside of 33 seconds.

I'll try to explain some stuff. First things first, most people, until you get to an advanced level, drop their hands by accident or lack of training. I'll get to that later. As for Silva, he throws in an agressive straight foward way, people are afraid of his strikes so nobody counters, and you'll notice everyone that tries to counter knocks him down (Ortiz, Sakuraba, SHUNGO OYAMA). That's for Silva, as for dropping your hands, I'll spread it around 3 parts.

Boxing: There is a difference between dropping your hands in boxing and lowering your lead and bracing with your shoulder. One of the biggest things is that people dont usually see a jab coming from the hip area, and it is hard to react to, meaning the followup is easier. You can parry a right hand with your left shoulder and counter with a right hand of your own. You can see better, so you can react quicker, and as long as your lead shoulder is against your chin it will be difficult to be knocked out. It helps your muscles stay relaxed, I find it very useful at times. And, it's unorthadox, it throws peoples games off. One thing you need when you drop your lead hand is head movement, make sure you have head movement. When people throw a bunch of punches at an opponent that is dazed in a corner to try and knock him down/out, there is very little chance of the other person firing back, so the attacker just unloads for power. If the guy does try and counter, the boxer has head movement and can avoid that one shot, and continue his barrage. If the person recovers, and the other person is still unloading, he is asking to be knocked out with his hand the way they are.

Kickboxing: Laziness, to just relax their arms, and they think they are boxers. (I kickbox, so no biased opinion)

MMA: Stop the shot, and since most guys arent A level strikers, it throws them off much more. And they think they are boxers.

Hope this helps.

I agree with Dominics post, i hink alot of people in MMA have to keep their hands slightly lower to stop a shot or prepare for a clinch or grab a kick. Pls the can get away with it lik ehe said since most people in MMA arent grade-A strikers.

Great post guys thanks. Yeah I was tending to think it was from laziness - I mean everywhere you go, everywhere they always tell you "hands up". I just did not understand why even at advance levels such as Pride and UFC they would still drop their hands.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason they drop their hands are:
1. Inexperienced.
2. Careless
3. To throw the other guy off his game.

Mainly though, keep your hands up, if not you will get knocked out.

Thanks a lot guys for clearing this up.

when u drop ur hands to ur side u need good timing, an upperbody mobility and it does not help if ur lanky..

doing this allows u to bait people, they tend to load up for the ko thinking a)ur tired or b) ur not tech aware..... When a person can't get to u..it frustrates them and then they get into a issue of trying to showboat or do what ur doing or sitting their thinking how to time u.. or they are afraid to let their hands go because they are not able to land.

the carrying of the lead hand low is the same....

u can sling the jab from diff angles which most people aren't prepared to defend, secondly u can use ur shoulder to protect ur chin and u can brush of straight shots to the body. One other tech is u can roll w/ punches; using ur shoulder to turn in w/the punch, which eff cocks ur body and sets u to turn back out and follow w/the hook to the head or body. An by slinging ur jab..u keep the guy off of u and open up the potshot, i.e. the lead right or leaping left hook/right hook

most people don't have the attributes or tech acumen to do it and are either tired or showboating; but some people do and they use it to set u up for counters, shut u down of, or to create unorthodox openings

Agree with the main points in dominic's post. Just to add even if MMA'ers carrry their hands lower to defend the shot or against midsection kicks or to be in position to clinch or take down their opponent, THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR NOT TUCKING THEIR CHIN!

Another reason for carrying the hands very low and throwing from the hip is power. A jab from the waist is more powerful. Another reason is cause it adds upper body mobility. Its a lot easier to slip punches with your hands lower. This isn't the reason MMA'ers do it though!

Maybe those who fear the takedown are also the ones who drop their hands.

Subconscious thought.

also, the mma gloves might play a factor because, they're not as big as boxing gloves so punches can still slip through, i notice they try to stay out of range and get a good angle (more so than boxers and kickboxers). that's just an opinion though, i could be wrong.

For me, hands down means getting tagged. I have a good TKD background... I can see any kicks with my hands down, but punch was different story even when I started boxing.

But some people seems to be thinking that they are sugar ray leonard of Muhammad Ali for some reason. Only few people will be better off with their hands down.... like Ali.

Crimson Tiger said:
For me, hands down means getting tagged. I have a good TKD background... I can see any kicks with my hands down, but punch was different story even when I started boxing.

But some people seems to be thinking that they are sugar ray leonard of Muhammad Ali for some reason. Only few people will be better off with their hands down.... like Ali.

Hell, every person that was good had their own unique style. Ali, RJJ, Rocky (if you want). IMO, learn the basics, then develop your own game.

in a local MMA show that i went to, Alex Shoenouer from TUF was fighting a muay thai guy who kept dropping his hands after exchanges. Alex taught him a lesson:)

phenomfan1529 said:
in a local MMA show that i went to, Alex Shoenouer from TUF was fighting a muay thai guy who kept dropping his hands after exchanges. Alex taught him a lesson:)

Some people are good at it, some people arent. Its something you really have to work on. If you say dropping your hands is a bad idea because one guy did it, talk to Roy Jones Jr. He does it pretty well. To each his own, I try not to judge just because one person either did it right or did it wrong.

Depends a little on what kind of fighter you are too. Sakuraba, although changed now, used to be all for grappling. He did use his hands of course. But he had a low stance. He kept his hands down probably for several reasons. Feels comfortable. He has a low stance and hands down because of the shoot. He was unpredictable and unorthodox. Even the greatest boxer who ever lived, Muhammad Ali, kept his hands down. Both Ali and Sakuraba had incredibly fast reactions and could bob/weave the punches easily.

It depends really, on so many different things.

in mma you can't block like you can with boxing gloves

and when you throw hooks you don't get maximum power from throwing it from the cheek. YAY MY DUBS ARE GONE!!! FUC YES!

i notice floyd mayweather a lot with his left hand down and his right hand up. seems kinda like the opposite as usual hand positioning while staying in orthodox footwork. just another effective stance. his left shoulder is protecting his chin and is ready for a quick left hook

If your hand drops without you noticing it, you're as good as tagged. If you drop it as part of an elaborate plan, the chances of getting hit are slimmer. Plus ut creates a lot of other opportunities.

One thing you should notice about some of these boxers people are using as examples of hands down fighters, they were all exceptionally skilled and fast. Ali, RJJ, PBF e.t.c.
These guys didn't start off with their hands low when they learned how to box thats for sure, like everyone else they learnt the basics of keep your hands up at all times. As they became masters of their art they found their own style, speed, reflexes and other physical attributes allowed them to get away with keeping their hands low. If you're having to ask is hands low good for me then it probably isn't.

Keep your hands a little lower if fighting a strong grappler, helps with takedown prevention, i.e. SPRAWL. Fatigue too causes it. Tommy Hearns was famous for it and it cost him. ALot of it too, is these guys don't have strong boxing backgrounds. Go watch Winky Wright fight if you want to see how to keep your hands up.

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
Some people are good at it, some people arent. Its something you really have to work on. If you say dropping your hands is a bad idea because one guy did it, talk to Roy Jones Jr. He does it pretty well. To each his own, I try not to judge just because one person either did it right or did it wrong.

Yeah, and because you think you're oscar delahoya. And if you're delahoya, i'm hopkins :D

Back