Fighting for sidemount

VTJas81

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here is the situation, you pass his guard and working for sidemount. He extends both his arms out to prevent you from sidemounting him. What technique works best for you? Im having some problems with it and the best I can think of is too transition to knee on belly. But i never pulled it off yet. Advice?

Pass tighter, keep your hips down.

Pass tight and pull his arms up if you have to. Go into the Judo scarf if he's pushing or walk around and go straight into north-south. If he's still pushing then walk all the way around and take his other side. Pushing is a desperation move so at that point all you need to do is prevent him from going to his knees.

dont try and push down , just relax and flop ur weight into him (that actually makes u heavier than pushin would). while ur doin that try and flow between his arms . i can get in on guys who have like 60 pounds on me like that . you could also just move around to north south

[QUOTE="Dangerous" Dan]Umm, armbar him?[/QUOTE]

yeh i was just thinking the same thing just grab an arm and armbar

Easiest way to obtain sidemount when a guy is pushing you is to simply turn your hips one direction or another. Do not "honor his frame" by pushing into his arms, this gives him the time and leverage to hip out and recover guard. Simply pivot your hips in one direction. This simple little move prevents him from keeping his arms strong as you change the angle and direction he needs to push at to keep you from passing. Additionally, I've seen a guy get his wrist broken as a result of stubbornly pushing a guy away while the guy pivoted his hips.

sherdog mutt hits the nail on the head.

I would like to put in a vote for going straight to knee-on-belly and if his arms are still extended then armbar him.

Use speeed and "run" with your legs close to the ground and keep your hips low and eventually you'll get the side position.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
Easiest way to obtain sidemount when a guy is pushing you is to simply turn your hips one direction or another. Do not "honor his frame" by pushing into his arms, this gives him the time and leverage to hip out and recover guard. Simply pivot your hips in one direction. This simple little move prevents him from keeping his arms strong as you change the angle and direction he needs to push at to keep you from passing.

Agreed. Add to that throwing your your "trailing" leg behind you. Really clear it out of your opponents attempts to entangle it. It's a very hard and aggresive hip pivot. Ending up in Kesa Gatame is good, as b00m3r recommended, but going for the Ushiro Kesa Gatame is even better. After ending up in Ushiro, quickly transition into side mount.

Ushiro-Kesa-Gatame.jpg

If he's extending his arms, trap the lower one. Personally, I go for hip control first, and if the dude's got his arm extended, I put my knee and shin right down on it. It kills the lower, and he won't be able to head out the back door, or get to his knees easily.

If someone's past my guard, I more or less recieve him, work for the reversal from there immediately. Gonna agree that extending the arms is desperation, inexperienced grappler....

Way too much space, when you pass you want as little space between you and your opponent as possible (like most things in grappling, less space the better the more space you allow the easier it is to escape).

Say you open his closed guard and your right leg is going to travel over his pinned right leg to establish side control. As you slide your knee over your right hand grabs and walks out his left wrist to keep him from blocking the hips and shrimping back to guard as you are going over you want the top of your head driving into his left shoulder and little to no space between you and him.

If you do this you should get to side control fine. However if for some reason he still has you up in the air posting his arms you can post the fist of your hand against the mat/ground next to his hip on his right side, this will keep him from reclaiming guard. Or you could simply switch to level two side control (Basically your leg that would be next to his hip shoots under his right arm. However don't hold this position carelessly because it is easy to be pushed off and countered. Or you could simply armbar him

(The level of sidecontrol bubble boy posted is about the same principle that will also work. The way I described however is basically the same thing except you are facing the other way and the other leg is deep under his shoulder) I like to call a basic side control level one, the side control I described level two, and the picture shown is basically level three.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice guys. Thanks especially to sherdog_mutt. I tried your suggestion in class today and it worked like a charm

Sherdog_Mutt said:
Easiest way to obtain sidemount when a guy is pushing you is to simply turn your hips one direction or another. Do not "honor his frame" by pushing into his arms, this gives him the time and leverage to hip out and recover guard. Simply pivot your hips in one direction. This simple little move prevents him from keeping his arms strong as you change the angle and direction he needs to push at to keep you from passing. Additionally, I've seen a guy get his wrist broken as a result of stubbornly pushing a guy away while the guy pivoted his hips.
this is what i do too...do this...

VTJas81 said:
Thanks for the advice guys. Thanks especially to sherdog_mutt. I tried your suggestion in class today and it worked like a charm

No problem. Amazing isn't it, how easy it works?

I also like the A frame arm bar if he's got his arms up. No one sees that coming and it's easy to hold and transition from.

Sherdog_mutt seems to have it down.

I like to go for the ol armbar.

Back