Fighting Cans

Discussion in 'The Lightweights' started by Cubo de Sangre, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre President of the War Room

While widely looked down upon, I'm in favor of a can-crushing match-up every few fights or so for some of the fan favorites. I want to see top fighters active. A few cans gives them an opportunity to showcase their skills, which is good entertainment. In team sports, who doesn't love seeing their preferred franchise thrash the shit out of somebody? Sure, this sport is fighting and people can get hurt but that's the nature of physical competition.

The flip side of the coin is that it gives lesser-known fighters the chance to rise quickly. Upsets make for great stories, as do those of redemption. I'm not suggesting any top-tier fights be forgone in favor of an easy payday. Rather think of it like an extra payday for the fighters we fans want to see. And we all know Sherdoggers love that fighter compensation. :D

tl;dr: Cans for Fans!

Ps. No, this isn't about any particular fight that's current or in the works. If anything I Have the last Hendo fight in mind.

2. Cdizzle

Cdizzle Green Belt

Yep. If a fighter lost a high profile, top ranked fight, the UFC used to give them a lower tier opponent. It would create new prospects if an upset happens, but most of the time would set the already top ranked fighter back in the winning direction. Now what the UFC does is give them an immediate rematch, or someone still very high ranked. Formerly top guys are routinely losing 2-3 fights in a row and I dont like it. Give the cans a chance.

We need to start a petition Sherdog. #Cans4Fans

3. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre President of the War Room

To whoever wastelanded this, I must have missed the quality discussion on the topic recently. Please post a link, playa.