Fighting a grappler 101: The Sherdogger's guide to keeping it on your feet

Shooto, it's part of the Instructional Sticky with the instructional threads I've written plus some others that other posters have written. The idea was to consolidate the instructional threads that get the best feedback because every time one is written there's requests for it to be stickied, so they're all in there.

King Kabuki said:
Shooto, it's part of the Instructional Sticky with the instructional threads I've written plus some others that other posters have written. The idea was to consolidate the instructional threads that get the best feedback because every time one is written there's requests for it to be stickied, so they're all in there.

<----- goes back to MMA after the mess.

Excellent post, dammit (he says as a grappler...). I think a grappler's tactic would be to charge, grip & takedown to his own comfort zone - the ground. So good footwork & movement is important AFAIC

I'll post up the next set of stuff tonight when I get home from wrestling. I have a good article in a Grappling Magazine issue with Paul Buentello talking about using his stand up game in MMA.

From what I remember off the top of my head, Paul says the #1 most important thing that helps him strike so well in MMA is total confidence. He's not afraid to take shots, and he's not afraid of the takedown, so he's able to throw those bombs. He says the grappler is waiting for you to throw a kick he can catch, or to overextend on a punch. Just be constantly aware of the shot and be ready at all times to unload a knee, uppercut, or if need be, a takedown defense.

This is from Grappling magazine August 2001:

1 - Keep striking as the grappler comes in
2 - Neutralize the takedown by not moving back and staying low
3 - keep your body and legs from being clinched by maintaining inside control
4 - push the grappler's shoulders away to create distance
5 - attack the grappler with strikes and kicks as he moves away
6 - keep on your feet and don't be tempted to follow the grappler to the ground

An important thing to remember when sprawling is to not try to stand up and break away from your opponent too early. Push his head down as hard as you can, secure his upperbody, then EXPLODE up and away. You can also just stuff a takedown without sprawling by grabbing his shoulders and simply pushing him away as he shoots in on you. CC is really good at this.

A crazy yet effective reversal if you find yourself mounted on the ground is to turn over 360 degrees and use the torquing of your body to reverse your opponent. Heath Herring uses this a lot and its pretty fucking effective if the other guy doesn't have a lot of experience with submissions and free grappling.

Shit, just use them hips, boy.

when keith hackney fought royce gracie at ufc 4 he avoided most of royce"s takedown attempts by useing foot work and backing up

Very thorough...learned a few technical principles for sure and other concepts were very well covered which helped reinforce them again. Good work, hope you put all of that time to history class!!

Throwing kicks is beautiful if you have a sweet guard, as you pointed out. That is why even a striker needs to get his BJJ down, before he can dominate in striking. Kicks are crucial nowadays.

Iceman5592 said:
I'll post up the next set of stuff tonight when I get home from wrestling. I have a good article in a Grappling Magazine issue with Paul Buentello talking about using his stand up game in MMA.

From what I remember off the top of my head, Paul says the #1 most important thing that helps him strike so well in MMA is total confidence. He's not afraid to take shots, and he's not afraid of the takedown, so he's able to throw those bombs. He says the grappler is waiting for you to throw a kick he can catch, or to overextend on a punch. Just be constantly aware of the shot and be ready at all times to unload a knee, uppercut, or if need be, a takedown defense.

so basically learn how to grapple.

blanko said:
so basically learn how to grapple.

Heh heh...

Yeah I don't think any of the people we'd truly consider dangerous strikers in MMA are limited to 'sprawl and brawl'. Most of them are pretty good on the ground as well (at least able to keep the guy from passing guard).

Iceman5592 said:
PRINCIPLES TO DEFENDING A TAKEDOWN

Control the head. If you've ever wrestled, you know that you need to keep your head up. When your head and chin point down, you're susceptible to being flattened out by a sprawl, getting quarter nelsoned, etc. If you stuff a wrestler's head down when he shoots in, it increases your chances of staying on your feet a lot..

Actually one comment on this, when I started taking submission wrestling, I was taught to keep my head (sorta) down with my chin tucked to prevent a swickatine (sorry had to say it) choke ( believe me, I didn't got felt the wrath). So not all will keep their heads up, some may keep them tucked.

Or did I just read that wrong?

I agree with you on many of these things but having 7 years of wrestling experience I'd have to say that when you sprawl you should land on the bottom part of the foot and stay on your toes. This allows you to spin around your opponent or adjust accordingly if he switches from takedown to takedown. If you sprawl onto the tops of your feet then he can abuse you since no resistence is being met and can through you off balance easier. Everything else looks pretty good, congrats hope its a sticky.

I think footwork and being "unpredictable" would be a nightmare for me to take someone down. Especially if they dont "freeze" when I shoot or go for a clinch, but keep moving.

I'd rather fight someone who stands still and lets me clinch than someone who moves unpredictably and keeps taking snapshots at me.

If they DO clinch I want them to just clinch back because I will win a clinch - it suits me. I DONT want them to keep moving around - dragging me and weakening my grip while throwing short shots.

very nice thread

when u wrote about punch combinations

What I've learned from Renzo Gracie's book, Mastering Jujitsu is that you cannot throw long, complicated combinations in MMA.

i was wondering how shogun and wanderlei can get away with those Left/Right/Left/Right/Left/Right combos they do before clinching the other person as they cover up

Because the first punch dazes their opponents, so their guard is down. It's a risk if someone counters them hard, but they are so good that if anyone tries to counter they wind up getting knocked out. That's how.

great post one of the most informative threads i have read since being a member of this forum; keep up the great work.

footwork is a good thing, a guy who lacks power; but and has to rely on the fundamentals of providing angles..controlling the dist will take away an opp ability to set his feet for the shoot, eff gauge the dist for a shoot or close the distance for the shoot. The easiest strikers to take down are the power punchers and the straight ahead brawlers, cus they often are stationary or come straight in; making them easy to time and easier to do the aforementioned things.

also someone who has good footwork and has a good idea of fighting moving backwards, can avoid the clinch by stepping back and ripping uppercuts/hooks or moving back and spinning out to land hooks.

Back