Fighting a counter fighter with longer reach

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by kboxer, Aug 27, 2010.

1. kboxer

kboxer White Belt

Ok guys. Here's my dilemma. To sum it up when I fight stand up I am an aggressive fighter. I constantly come forward. Lots of hooks and big rights and leg kicks. I am 6-2 with a decent reach but one of my sparring partners is the same height with super long reach and continues to give me a problem. And he is also a counter fighter. I just can't get on the inside on him. When I try he flicks the jab over and over to disorient and just eats me up.

I have had success on few occasions when I persistently come forward and follow every combo with kicks bit within a week he adapted and would punish me when I'm backing out.

Any tips or advice.

2. Taskforce3Tango

Taskforce3Tango Loose cannon

Turn to the outside of his punches then move in
    Learn parry counterstrike combos
    Throw and elbow into his strikes
    Move in fast and use short, well place strikes

There are several things you can do. Just don't give up.

3. casper1kebab

casper1kebab Yellow Belt

when fighting counter fighters, iv found when i throw single shots, i am playing into their hands,
    when i throw combos, i will only be succesful till he figures me out, counter fighters are clever bastards
    when i throw flurrys (punches) pushing forward, iv found this moves them backwards and throws them of their game making it unable to answer back,
    hope it works for u

4. kboxer

kboxer White Belt

Casper1 that worked for a bit and he is very clever. But next session he had an answer for it I'm glad to have him there because he gives me the biggest problem. He also likes to wait til my combo is done and then attack. Very frustrating.

5. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

you gotta act then react. feinting is the key, come in with your jab, throw in volume and combinations, throw your hard punches at the end of your combinations instead of the beginning.

and go to the body... slow that reaction time down

6. Jeff822

Jeff822 Orange Belt

Use fakes, but don't use them so often that he can figure them out. When he trys to counter your fake, try to cover and counter his while getting on the inside.

7. kboxer

kboxer White Belt

Great input guys. It's going to be a battle getting in there. Most people I can start a combo with kicks. He eats me up tho. My nemesis. But a good nemesis. Lol.

I'm going to try to punch my way in.

8. kboxer

kboxer White Belt

I think what I need to watch are some mike Tyson fights.

9. The Victor

The Victor White Belt

throw your combo and then move out the way because you know he's going to counter and answer right back with another combo. It sounds like you know what he's going to do so play off his actions and not off his reactions to your actions. Set him up like a came of chess, bait him in with a 1 to 2 move and prepare for his counter with your own counter, IE 1 to 2 move, and immediately just fire the right cross without waiting.

10. kboxer

kboxer White Belt

You know what's funny the victor is he said dude I can tell your anticipating my counter. He can see me preparing for it. Fortunately we are really good friends.

11. casper1kebab

casper1kebab Yellow Belt

learn to be a counter-counter fighter lol

12. Rickoo7

Rickoo7 White Belt

When i fight a counter striker...i always work the lower body ( leg,liver ribs )...when is guard drop...he's less effective and will slower down...

13. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

I've found that changing your guard may work better for you. I used to have a boxing guard but kept getting disorientated because the gloves would cover my eyes and I used to step in pretty big to throw but now I stand almost like a Thai stance and it's so much better.
    I get low and come up at different angles which affects peoples ability to judge you and works great if they are a counter striker.