Fighters you remember one way but are the complete opposite in reality

My perception of first-gen MMA as the ultimate, fight to the death or almost duel changed when I started re-watching it.

A lot of quitting between rounds, tapping to strikes, staying at distance for full rounds without engaging, early stoppages ,etc.

People who think these guys were tougher than today's fighters have an inaccurate recollection of these old events.

When did Tito turn into MMA's resident dumbass? In the old days of the UFC he came off as one of the more clever trash talkers.
When he started losing fights all the time starting with VS chuck 2. (Also getting spanked by Couture probably started it and chuck sealed the deal)

Definitely Honda Housey.

She seemed so sweet and lovable in strikeforce. I really rooted for her. But then in the UFC and TUF. She became the most bitter bitch, couldn't wait for her to get humbled.

Even her own mother said she was with the wrong team. I think that played a factor in her shitty attitude.

IT s interesting that 95% of the posts are about fighter s personality. Do you guys even watch the fights or do you skip to the interviews?

I happened to miss many Mike Perry fights due to various circumstances, and I ended up having the false perception that he was a kill or be killed berserker that could potentially get a lucky title shot one day due to his entertainment value.
But checking his 'dawg page now I see that he's had 4 finishes in 15 UFC fights.

Which isn't to say that he can't crack or finish fights, I just thought that his finishes/decisions ratio would be way way higher, win or lose.

When I first saw Shogun in pride, he was kicking dudes heads off and stomping on peoples faces. I thought what a psychopath. Then I actually met him in person, and he was the exact opposite, the nicest, most humble guy you can imagine.

For me, it's Jeremy Horn. In my head, I have this image of a scrappy, small, scrawny middleweight who taught himself BJJ and made a name for himself by sheer determination.

In reality, he's most of those things, but he's also a 6'1" dude who fought all the way up at heavyweight. Several months ago, I rewatched his fight against Shamrock and was amazed at how he towered over Frank.

I was watching UFC 22 during my workout this morning and the commentators described Horn as a powerhouse who wouldn't be able to push Godsey around, like Horn had done to his previous opponent.

So remembering someone a bit smaller than they actually were = the complete opposite?

So remembering someone a bit smaller than they actually were = the complete opposite?
Big and strong is the opposite of small and weak. Is this new information to you?

c2af2504fbc54c9e808199b6e0e73ffc_md.jpg

I would wish her to do OF too

Remember missed weight Dern

DSC9198.jpg

I thought Dan Henderson was a grimy tough ass wrestler. Well he is but he seemed to spend most host career brawling and chasing KOs

Jorge Gurgel seemed to me to be some BJJ mastermind and the grappling teacher of Franklin, turned out to be a wild scrapper who never went to the ground

Dan used to wrestle more earlier in his career - I remember folks on this board used to call him "Decision Dan." But IIRC he started relying on his H-bomb more as he slowed down with age and injuries.

I remember being disappointed with Jorge Gurgel as well. TBF I think dudes were afraid to go to the ground with him, and Gurgel's TDs weren't good enough to force it. I remember at least one fight where he's chasing other guy around the cage and as the round ends they're both laughing because they both know what Gurgel wants and the other dude won't let him have it.

There were a lot of guys that I thought were fat and out of shape when I was growing up...

Now I wish I look like them...

Lol same. Even after watching UFC 1, it took me until Tim Sylvia to realize the dude with better abs wasn't always the better fighter.

Last edited:
When did Tito turn into MMA's resident dumbass? In the old days of the UFC he came off as one of the more clever trash talkers.

The trash talk game evolved and passed him by. It's easy to sound clever when you only need to prepare enough to not get beaten into the living death.

But in all seriousness, Tito came off as a great and articulate coach on TUF. Dude is likely dyslexic and probably just gets nervous when he has to speak in public.

Last edited:
When Jon Jones first burst on to the scene, he seemed like a mild mannered, humble kid who had the potential to be Michael Jordan of MMA. He was the first fighter with Nike & Gatorade sponsorships. He also claimed to be anti-drugs and admitted to telling on kids who smoked marijuana. He portrayed himself as a meek man of God.

In reality, Jon Jones is an arrogant and vindictive human. He threatened to hurt Colby Covington because he didn’t do the dishes. He also threatened to stick his finger up a comedians butthole. He’s tormented his wife & kids and harmed countless others. He also isn’t scared to headbutt a car or use performance enhancing drugs. He’s also willing to hid under an octagon to avoid getting caught. He will hold grudges for years and his passive aggressiveness is unmatched.

Yeah. Tbh I'm starting to think most pro fighters are just assholes.

For me, it's Jeremy Horn. In my head, I have this image of a scrappy, small, scrawny middleweight who taught himself BJJ and made a name for himself by sheer determination.

In reality, he's most of those things, but he's also a 6'1" dude who fought all the way up at heavyweight. Several months ago, I rewatched his fight against Shamrock and was amazed at how he towered over Frank.

I was watching UFC 22 during my workout this morning and the commentators described Horn as a powerhouse who wouldn't be able to push Godsey around, like Horn had done to his previous opponent.

Horn was an old school "anyone, anywhere" type fighter but despite having an amazing run to start his career, he was just too small for LHW (as was Frank) when guys started cutting serious weight. That was when Horn was fighting several times every month and sometimes every weekend - one of the broadcasters said he would "use his fights as practice" and I don't think he was cutting any weight.

I remember him looking undersized and underpowered against Liddell, and he rightly cut down to 185 after that. He also went to a more reasonable fight schedule of 2 to 3x / year.

Last edited:
Yeah. Tbh I'm starting to think most pro fighters are just assholes.

Nah, they're just people like everyone else and most of the ones I've met have been pretty cool. I met Jones at a training seminar right after he won the belt off Shogun and he seemed OK. A little narcissistic maybe but came off like he was probably a good dude to his training partners and folks he was cool with. I think he won the belt too young and it went to his head and he bought into his own celebrity.

Diaz Bros:

- vegans
- tainted supplements from a company they own shares of <lol> suuuure. After half their gym popped.
- pillow fisted
- terrible boxing technique

(great cardio, timing, height, reach, chin though)

Somehow people think they are gangster, because they smoke weed like any 14 year old.

Back