Fighters you have alotta respect for?

I don't see how anyone can say chael sonnen he is so disrespectful of other fighters not saying he isn't talented but he is not a respectable human being trash talk is trash talk but he almost comes off as racist he goes over the line unless the person is white usually and for the record I'm white and from pretty much the same town as him

Last edited:
Don't the "I didn't have a strategy going into this fight" class as an excuse?

OT: Sanchez, there is no quit in that guy. GSP, pure class and a lot of other guys.

Tbh I think it was just poor English he ment to say his game plan didn't work I think I could be wrong though

It would be easier listing fighters who I don't have a lot of respect for.

Who are some fighters that you have respect for. Fighters that always bring it, fighters that you believe put it all on the line w/ their fight styles and that you believe is always trying to put on a good show.

I love me some Shogun Rua, Benson Henderson, Dan Henderson, Carlos Condit, Cain Velasquez, Junior Dos Santos, Jose Aldo, Anderson Silva, Cub Swanson, Donald Cerrone, Wanderlei Silva, Michael McDonald, Renan Barao & Rory MacDonald!

Invicta has made me respect the female fighters. Sure some of them are cute, but these girls were bringing it...
20130104063619_40_Hyatt_Esparza.JPG

I have a lot of respect for the vast majority of fighters. I will explain why.

What I respect most is probably the mentality of a fighter who believes that he has the ability to impose his own game on another fighter, and never loses that belief. For example, Wanderlei Silva in Pride, BJ Penn in the UFC, Kazushi Sakuraba in Pride, Dan Henderson everywhere - these men were not intimidated by facing size/weight disadvantages, they believed their own game was good enough, and often it was. And when it wasn't, they didn't fall to pieces and question themselves, they just got back on the horse. For me, this mentality is truly worthy of respect.

An example of a fighter who doesn't appear to possess this mentality is Georges St Pierre.

(bear with me)

However, my point is not limited to fighters facing size disadvantages. Another good example of a fighter who showed great belief in his game and tried to impose it on others would be Cain Velasquez. I am a Cigano fan and not a Cain fan, but I was blown away by Cain's mentality in the rematch. Facing a guy who had already knocked him out, Cain showed no fear whatsoever, he was grimly determined that his own game would pay off and it did, even after those failed TD's at the start.

An example of a fighter who doesn't appear to possess this mentality is Carlos Condit.

(bear with me)

GSP doesn't have the mentality to fight a bigger man and believe in his game when the odds are stacked against (I don't think) and Condit doesn't have the mentality to fight his own game against a tough opponent (I don't think, as the 'killer' spent the Diaz fight running down the clock, trying not to engage, and trying to sneak a decision)...

...but after the GSP-Condit fight I was supremely respectful of both mens' effort and performance. GSP showed great courage, composure and toughness to fight out of a difficult spot, Condit showed admirable opportunism, skill and heart to keep fighting his hardest every time there was a chance for him to attack.

So, in conclusion, you can find things to respect about almost any fighter, even if you find them deficient in some way.

The only guys I do not respect are people like Overeem. Enormous, juicing, fake physique cheats.

imho, anyone who steps inside that cage / ring / octagon deserves a lot of respect. those "big named" fighters for sure, but for those who were not big named fighters, off the top of my head is Matt Brown. the guy always brings it, as far as I can recall, he was never in a boring fight. when the bell sounds, he just brings the beating and keeps on coming. after the fight, he becomes Matt Brown the human again - seems genuinely concern for the well being of his opponent - see his fight against Pete Sell

Who are some fighters that you have respect for. Fighters that always bring it, fighters that you believe put it all on the line w/ their fight styles and that you believe is always trying to put on a good show.

I love me some Shogun Rua, Benson Henderson, Dan Henderson, Carlos Condit, Cain Velasquez, Junior Dos Santos, Jose Aldo, Anderson Silva, Cub Swanson, Donald Cerrone, Wanderlei Silva, Michael McDonald, Renan Barao & Rory MacDonald!

Many for differing reasons....if it's pure technical quality: Anderson, GSP, Maia, Vinny Magalheas (sp) for his ground game....and many more

For heart: condit,.JDS,.Both Diaz Bros....

Entertainment: Paul Taylor,.Sanchez, Lauzon etc

It's all about what you are looking for....as some have posted already, I respect, not necessarily like, all Fighter's that have the scrots to step in the cage and lock the door....

Usually the old guys, like Couture and Hendo. Also, pioneers like Sakuraba, Gracie family members (although, I don't really like their... ah nvm...), Tito Ortiz, and Chuck Liddell.

I have a lot of respect for Anderson Silva and GSP. GSP seems classy enough and have some what of a genuine respect for the martial arts that he studied/studies. I respect Anderson for his skills and talents; he is unreal.

I'm probably forgetting a lot of fighters, but I respect a lot of the professional combat sport athletes. I have only a couple of fighters whom I despise.

Joe Lauzon

Fights with intent to finish, amazing heart, and very creative grappler.

Back