Fighters You Din't Particularly Care For Who You Now Respect

Bruce Leeroy thought the guy was just a gimmick but he's actually become very skilled much more then I ever though he could be.

What I was thinking. He was a goofy gimmick but lately has proved he is getting bettr and better after every fight.

Jon Jones. Overcoming any sort of adversity always warms me to a fighter somewhat and I felt he did so in the Vitor fight

Bisping
Evans
Varner
Bendo
Werdum
Anderson
BJ
Demetrias Johnson

Still don't really like these guys, but they have all earned my respect as fighters

I'm the same way with a lot of fighters. Nothing wrong with that, don't have to like em to respect em. I think respect is worth a little more anyways. Respect wins fights.

Cain Velasquez. The more stuff I watched about him right before this last weekend, the more i liked him. I was still rooting for JDS though, mostly because of the whole "brown pride" thing when he's American, and the shitty Mariachi band walkout music. Then of course I gained more respect for him in the fight although I still like JDS more.

You're entitled to dislike a person for any reason you choose, but why does his tattoo and mariachi music upset you?

Bisping. I've grown to respect him more over the years. He takes his job seriously and seems to be very thankful for what he has. I think he got a bad rap from TUF, but I think the UFC wanted it that way. Hendo is a much-loved fighter and they needed a heel for the show.

I'm not a fan, but I don't hate Koscheck like I used to. He backs it up and ain't so bad.

These two would have to be my #1 & #2 in the order posted.

Rashad, Mir, Sonnen, Florian, Diego, BJ. Even GSP.

I tend to dislike certain fighters for random reasons, they get spanked, and then I'm able to start loving them.

It even happens with fighters I'm initially a sack-rider of (I'm still waiting to love you again Johnny Bones - Lose soon so we can get this thing started all over again)

Grey Maynard forsure.

Really disliked him during the Edgar fights but his recent fight was great

Jamie Varner

Couldn't stand him back in the WEC days, but he's bringing it and fighting hard in the UFC and seems to be a much more down to earth guy.

JDS.

Overhyped as all hell and completely exposed.

But the guy would not quit. Respect for life.

Spider. I used to watch his fights with bias, hoping he would get wrecked. Now I just watch him fight to see something special that don't come along too often.

I'm sure there are several of you, like myself who didn't particularly care for a fighter, or thought highly of a fighter's ability for whatever reason. Has a fighter that you felt that way towards ever make you rethink of you feel about him now because they've proved you wrong?

My example.

Stefan Struve.

I never liked the guy as a fighter. I'm sure he's a great person. I didn't think he was a great fighter, and thought he couldn't take a punch. Sure, he had a great bloody battle but I wasn't convinced. I thought any true striker would win against him. I've lost over $100 betting against Struve on numerous occasions. His fight against Miocic being the most recent. Once again, I was proven wrong. He's def. getting better in every fight, and him being song young he shows a lot of potential for greatness later in his career.

I was wrong about Struve, and I'm a fan.

We aren't here to bash other users for their opinions. We aren't here to bash any fighters either so if that's what you're into...just go.

Thanks.

i would have worded it differently, but i will admit i all but gave up on Joe Lauzon after his fight with George Sotiropoulos. after the Varner and Miller bouts, i have to admit i was wrong to do so.

Cain Did not like him much on his way up the ladder but he is a great champion I respect

Bisping This guy has not got to fight for the belt yet, he says the right things about it.

Machida I did not like him at all at first but grew to like him

I always disliked Chuck Liddell, but I find that I'm missing him now that he's gone. His fights never failed to entertain.

I couldn't stand Jamie Varner in WEC, but he's had a great run since returning to the UFC. Beating Melvin Guillard (a guy I still can't stand) certainly helped matters.

I can't help but respect Rashad Evans. He consistently fights top competition, and he wins most of the time.

I forgot to mention Chris Leben...couldn't stand him early on, but consistently entertaining.

there are dozens of guys that I don't like but I respect them as fighters. Jon Jones and BJ Penn would be the first two that come to mind.

Back