Fighters You Din't Particularly Care For Who You Now Respect

LilNubi

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm sure there are several of you, like myself who didn't particularly care for a fighter, or thought highly of a fighter's ability for whatever reason. Has a fighter that you felt that way towards ever make you rethink of you feel about him now because they've proved you wrong?

My example.

Stefan Struve.

I never liked the guy as a fighter. I'm sure he's a great person. I didn't think he was a great fighter, and thought he couldn't take a punch. Sure, he had a great bloody battle but I wasn't convinced. I thought any true striker would win against him. I've lost over $100 betting against Struve on numerous occasions. His fight against Miocic being the most recent. Once again, I was proven wrong. He's def. getting better in every fight, and him being song young he shows a lot of potential for greatness later in his career.

I was wrong about Struve, and I'm a fan.

We aren't here to bash other users for their opinions. We aren't here to bash any fighters either so if that's what you're into...just go.

Thanks.

Bisping. I've grown to respect him more over the years. He takes his job seriously and seems to be very thankful for what he has. I think he got a bad rap from TUF, but I think the UFC wanted it that way. Hendo is a much-loved fighter and they needed a heel for the show.

Dana White may have been right about Yushin Okami. Unlike a lot of Japanese fighters, this guy consistently improves his game and fights the best both at the same time. Even though he doesn't have the accolades to show for it, he probably is the best fighter to come out of Japan.

Bisping, but he is still annoying

Josh Barnett
Carlos Condit
Jamie Varner

All three earned my respect.

Bruce Leeroy thought the guy was just a gimmick but he's actually become very skilled much more then I ever though he could be.

Dana White may have been right about Yushin Okami. Unlike a lot of Japanese fighters, this guy consistently improves his game and fights the best both at the same time. Even though he doesn't have the accolades to show for it, he probably is the best fighter to come out of Japan.

In the U.S., I agree that Okami may have transitioned the best out of any Japanese fighter. It's sometimes hard to watch the great fighters that typically fight in Japan, come to the U.S. and get dominated. Happy to see a relatively successful story with Okami. I would of liked to see Okami vs. Akiyama on the Japan card. I think the fans would of really enjoyed it.

I'm not a fan, but I don't hate Koscheck like I used to. He backs it up and ain't so bad.

Cruz. Never disliked him or anything, but didn't care when I first watched him. He has had my respect for awhile now though

Bruce Leeroy thought the guy was just a gimmick but he's actually become very skilled much more then I ever though he could be.

I think we all thought the same thing. He's an entertaining fighter with a great potential. I'd actually like to see him more often and maybe get a few more wins under his belt and see him on the main card eventually.

Jonny Bones Jones - After he tooled my boy Rashad I had to come to the realization that the kid is a monster.

Jonny Bones Jones - After he tooled my boy Rashad I had to come to the realization that the kid is a monster.

As regrettable as it is, I feel the same way about him. I don't like him, but I respect him as a fighter. I'm actually looking forward to the next season of TUF. Its going to be quite interesting.

Cruz. Never disliked him or anything, but didn't care when I first watched him. He has had my respect for awhile now though

You can add Cruz to my list also. Still don't love his style, but you have to respect the guy.

I used to dislike Tito ALOT. Now he's still annoying but he's a tough guy who fought the best until the very end of his career.

The only fighter that comes to mind that I absolutley could not stand at first is Chris Leben. Hated him during TUF 1, especially after he pissed on Jason Thacker's bed.

But he seems to have come a very long way since then, fighting and personality wise.

Without Leben, Thacker would not even have a career as a fighter. 0-1 in his career. Not sure how he even got on the show, but I felt like it was a shot at Canadians.

Back