Fighters You Believe Gave Their Best Performance Despite Losing

I was pretty impressed with short notice Silva vs Cormier. I thought his ground defence was unreal.

Shogun in the first Hendo fight

Highly disagree I would say Shogun fought better in both Machida fights and in a couple Pride fights...Shogun got dropped early in the Hendo fight, gotta think that hindered the rest of his performance a bit imo.

Gus in the Bones fight is a pretty good one. Maybe Nam Phan vs Leonard Garcia lol.

Last edited:
Kondo vs Wanderlei. Kondo made Wanderlei backpedal the whole time, making Wand's looping hooks miss and landing counters of his own but the size/power of prime Wand was just too much, too suddenly....

Sakuraba vs Wand 2: dat guillotine

Funny thing that no one really talks about is that Chael was practically out of that triangle when he tapped. No way he was going to go out before escaping if he hadn't panicked.

(Or if he hadn't known all along that he wasn't going to pass the drug test anyway and decided maybe a late fight loss would be better for his career than giving Zuffa heartburn?)

anderson-silva-triangle-submit-chael-sonnen.gif

Isn't the leg usually around the other way? Something feels wrong about the look of that triangle, but I don't practice BJJ

Forrest vs Rashad is a good example (and I agree about Shogun).

How about Sakuraba vs Lil'Nog?
Sak lost the decision but he gave Nog a heck of a fight, one of his finest performances IMHO. Had Rogerio been the same size as Saku, who knows how it would have ended...

Jessamyn Duke losing to Rocky Pennington in TUF 18.

Ep6-20130617_TUF_18_PRELIM_RaquelPennington_JessamynDuke_JEFF_BOTTARI_0902.JPG

Aleksander Emelianenko vs Barnett

Aleks put on a beautiful display of boxing in that first round, kept the perfect distance and landed the damaging shots,

too bad he just didn't have enough in that gas tank and Barnett was just too tough to put away.

Probably my favourite display of boxing

Last edited:
Funny thing that no one really talks about is that Chael was practically out of that triangle when he tapped. No way he was going to go out before escaping if he hadn't panicked.

(Or if he hadn't known all along that he wasn't going to pass the drug test anyway and decided maybe a late fight loss would be better for his career than giving Zuffa heartburn?)

So fucking stupid it's actually depressing to see this again.

Landon Vannata vs Tony Ferguson, he rung Tony's bell about 3 times more than anyone before in the UFC

Isn't the leg usually around the other way? Something feels wrong about the look of that triangle, but I don't practice BJJ

The leg's right, but Chael is defending properly, and the pressure of Chael sitting back makes Anderson release, just at the tap (he loses the grip just before, actually). Anderson knows it's gone and is already in the process of transitioning to an arm bar when Chael submits.

LIke the Gus mention.. Venatta was pretty good too, might have even beat Ferguson if he had a full camp.

Maybe you didnt notice the armbar

Edgar in the second Aldo fight.
He tried so hard, but Aldo absolutely had to win that fight, and it showed in every exchange and stuffed takedown.

Back