Fighters with Pencak Silat backgrounds?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Ogata, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Ogata

Ogata Silver Belt

First thing first, I know traditional martial arts do not have the best reputation in the mma culture but what I am wondering is, are there any mma fighters who have had a pencak Silat experience prior to becoming an mma fighter?

I know that most of the Pencak Silat revolves around weapons and acrobats, but I had to make this thread due to the fact that I found out yesterday that one of the Silat styles is called Tomoi which was influenced by Muay Boran, which is the ancient style of Muay thai if I recall correctly.

Now ofcourse striking is not enough but it seems like these guys have there own grappling and strength conditioning systems as well!

This is their conditioning:

This is their grappling style:

I know their method is old, but would you consider this a good martial arts pre ufc days?

2. XTREME POWER

XTREME POWER White Belt

Pencak Silat is some Bullshido stuff.

3. LeeOx

LeeOx Blue Belt

Baraka.

4. Jukai

Jukai Silver Belt

Cain Velasquez.

5. eiyuu

eiyuu Silver Belt

ALBERTO CERRA LEON

Lost to Remco Pardoel in the early rounds of the 16 man tournament at UFC 2.

UFC 2 Profiles

6. Steve08

Steve08 American Fedor Belt

Diego Sanchez

7. Ryan G

Ryan G Blue Belt

8. Diet Otsuka

Diet Otsuka Red Belt

I'll put it like this:
    People want every advantage in a fight.
    If someone incorporated their techniques in an mma fight and found relative success, you would see it more frequently.
    The fact no one has really taken advantage of it in the past, means that there isn't much to draw from.

Come to your own conclusion.

9. Ogata

Ogata Silver Belt

Damn! Looks like I made a fail thread!

Truth be told, seeing Jon Jones open up so many possibilities for new techniques made me hopeful that perhaps some older martial arts may work if fighters committed to them but guess not it seems.

But that's the thing though, you don't see new moves until someone gets good at them and is confident enough to commit to them in a fight. According to Brendon Shaub, this is a copy cat business and so I figured that there might be few people on these forums who have both mma and tma experience that can share as to why its not being used.

Look at Machida, ppl said karate didn't work until he came along, look at Cung Le, ppl said kungfu is useless until Cung came along. Same with Karo Parisyan and Judo.

10. YaWannaGoEh

YaWannaGoEh White Belt

I think Gary Goodridge earned a golden bandana in Pencak Silat.

11. h0lydiver

h0lydiver Purple Belt

eh the similarity between all the fighters you mentioned is grappling/tdd/wrestling/etc. I'm sure there's something redeemable about this art you could add to your arsenal if you had good grappling...striking tmas on their own are pretty useless since you can't actually utilize the tech without being taken down/subbed

12. WalterSobchek

WalterSobchek Blue Belt

13. Ogata

Ogata Silver Belt

I can agree with you on that, regardless of your tma striking style, you MUST have a muay thai/boxing background for mma/ufc!

That being said, Silat has many sub styles which includes joint locking and takedowns and unlike Kungfu, it hasn't been exploited by fake out of shape masters which has given Karate/Kungfu a bad rep.

I am also doing research on the local mma scene to see if anyone has any type of technique/styles that can work well with mma. But since I don't follow ufc these days, I felt like I had to ask if anyone was a Silat stylists that fought in the ufc prelims.