Fighters Who Were Thrown To The Wolves Too Soon Thread

I looked it up, he suffered a detached retina during the Tito fight...

It was a reoccurring theme with him. His eye was more prone to a detached retina, for whatever reason, and that wasn't the first time he suffered from it.

It was a reoccurring theme with him. His eye was more prone to a detached retina, for whatever reason, and that wasn't the first time he suffered from it.

i think i remember hearing that he was hurt in the amateurs.

David Reid is a good choice. He's what happens when you try to rush a gold medalist too soon.

man i was thinking the same thing, i mean he was medalist and a belt holder but he was not in the same league as trinidad

Oleg Maskaev fought 21-0 Alex Miroshnichenko in his very first fight, which he won by TKO in 3. If that wasn't enough, his handlers put him in against 23-1-1 Joe Thomas in his fourth fight, who he outpointed over six rounds. To top it off, his people put him in against OLIVER MCCALL in his sixth fight, the same McCall who only three fights earlier knocked out Lennox Lewis. To say the least, he was stopped in a minute and a half.

How about Dujuan Johnson from the Kronk? He had like, what, one win over a fringe contender under his belt, and just a little over two years of experience as a professional when they threw him in with Pryor back in '81? His career nose-dived after that loss.

Jeff Fenech. Veeraphol Sahaprom. Kostya Tszyu. Koki Kameda.

Sucess stories.

Fernando Vargas is the first one that comes to mind for me. Possibly Omar Sheika, as well.

Oleg has a great amateur backround, but dear God... Throwing him in with Oliver McCall and David Tua in his first 10 fights. I am surprised he got this far in his career.

Back