Fighters who were forced to retire because of injury (in their prime or not)

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
TJ Grant

On the cusp of title shot and the best run of his career, then career ended by injury/health

Are there a lot of these ?

The best example I can think of is TJ Grant going to have a title shot at LW and then retiring because of concussion symtoms.

Bisping did not retire because if his eye he fought many fights like that.

Any other example outside Grant ?

Updated list:
- TJ Grant, concussion
- Dan Hardy, heart condition
- Chris Holdsworth, concussion
- Mark Kerr, mental health
- Yuki Nakai, eye loss
- Sean Sherk, shoulder/knee/hip injury
- Evangelista Cyborg Santos, fractures
- James Te Huna, brain trauma
- Travis Lutter, neck injury
- Igor Vovchanchyn, hand injury
- Krzysztof Soszyński, CTE
- Dave Terrel

You should change the title of your thread to “Fighters Forced to retire due to injury” because only a few of the fighters when they retired were actually in their prime. I’ll give you Tj Grant , Dave Terrell and holdsworth.

But most of the guys you listed were past their prime . Hardy hadn’t won against a quality opponent in years , honestly he was all down since he lost to GSP. Guys like Sherk, vovchanchyn, Santos , lutter were all past their prime , hence their losses, which along with the injuries probably factored into their decision to retire . They probably saw the writing on the wall and smartly called it a day

I see a lot of people use the word “prime” really loosely around here .

You should change the title of your thread to “Fighters Forced to retire due to injury” because only a few of the fighters when they retired were actually in their prime. I’ll give you Tj Grant , Dave Terrell and holdsworth.

But most of the guys you listed were past their prime . Hardy hadn’t won against a quality opponent in years , honestly he was all down since he lost to GSP. Guys like Sherk, vovchanchyn, Santos , lutter were all past their prime , hence their losses, which along with the injuries probably factored into their decision to retire . They probably saw the writing on the wall and smartly called it a day

I see a lot of people use the word “prime” really loosely around here .

You're right. I used that title because I initially thought of TJ Grant and he definitely retired in his prime. But now it has evolved into more. I'll fix that right away

khabib for 2 years

Attachments

• Khabibneverknow.png
    Khabibneverknow.png
    325.1 KB · Views: 1
Claude Patrick? What the hell happened to that guy?

Only had one loss in the UFC which was a split decision.

He ended up being put in a coma after being jumped by a taser armed gang after a show and he had recurring issues with a knee injury.

Why did Kole Konrad retire? He was undefeated and a solid HW prospect wasn't he?

He got a job in finance, I think he didn't really care about the sport, his coaches said he barely trained for his last fight.

I guess as well the money probably wasn't there in Bellator at the time.

Edit: turns out he was only making $30k as champ fighting once a year and he personally didn't think he had a marketable enough look or personality to be a start and wanted a stable income to provide for his family.

Last edited:
Sean Sherk.... though one may argue juicing had something to do with his retirement...
sean-sherk-history1.jpg
sean-sherk-roids_medium.jpg
Sean-Sherk.jpg
20090522090728_320.JPG
ufc121_weigh_ins_28.0_standard_709.0.0.jpg
Injury or not, drug testing played a large role. I don't recall which one, but he did once pull out of a fight due to an "injury" when he found out the CSAC was going to test him.

Ivan salaverry kinda. The tail end of his prime he wasnt the man he used to be, and his back injuries plagued him. His return after a hiatus was not him at all.

Back