Fighters who were forced to retire because of injury (in their prime or not)

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
Claude Patrick? What the hell happened to that guy?

if you're going to include mark kerr for mental health, then you should include ronda rousey as well.

she would be the biggest high profile fighter to leave the sport in her prime

if you're going to include mark kerr for mental health, then you should include ronda rousey as well.

she would be the biggest high profile fighter to leave the sport in her prime

Mark Kerr admitted it. Ronda still think she's the goat, proof her recent "hot wings" interview.

To sum it up Mark Kerr is in it because depression and addiction is a health issue. Ronda is just another megalomaniac with a superiority complex that got a reality check.

Why did Kole Konrad retire? He was undefeated and a solid HW prospect wasn't he?

Mark Kerr admitted it. Ronda still think she's the goat, proof her recent "hot wings" interview.

To sum it up Mark Kerr is in it because depression and addiction is a health issue. Ronda is just another megalomaniac with a superiority complex that got a reality check.

i mean, how are mark kerr and ronda different?
i don't keep up with anything she has done since losing to amanda, but you sound like you follow all her stuff, so maybe you know more than i do.

but ronda was living in her car and addicted to pain killers when she started fighting. her dad killed himself when she was a kid and she's been depressed ever since. didn't she say she thought about killing herself when she lost? she sounds like she's got some serious mental health issues that got in the way once she lost.

i remember watching the smashing machine and the kerr story fits what you say "megalomaniac with a superiority complex that got a reality check"
this guy thought he was the best because he was a wrestler that was on all the drugs and then got a serious reality check when Igor Vovchanchyn took his soul

The Polish Experiment
On August 15, 2014, Krzysztof announced his retirement from MMA competition on Inside MMA, citing memory problems that began occurring after his last fight.[15]

Struve briefly retired IIRC due to his health issues which included him collapsing at some point backstage I think. Although he was able to compete again I think it's safe to say they played a role in his performances, ability to train and his decision to retire again permanently.
That was his first fight back after Hunt broke his face. He had a panic attack in the dressing room before the fight. Commission wouldn't let him fight due to concerns about his heartrate.

Are there a lot of these ?

The best example I can think of is TJ Grant going to have a title shot at LW and then retiring because of concussion symtoms.

Bisping did not retire because if his eye he fought many fights like that.

Any other example outside Grant ?

Updated list:
- TJ Grant, concussion
- Dan Hardy, heart condition
- Chris Holdsworth, concussion
- Mark Kerr, mental health
- Yuki Nakai, eye loss
- Sean Sherk, shoulder/knee/hip injury
- Evangelista Cyborg Santos, fractures
- James Te Huna, brain trauma
- Travis Lutter, neck injury
- Igor Vovchanchyn, hand injury
Santos and Igor were not in their primes

Santos was already up there in age,and Igor had already 100 fiights and his fist stopped working.
Seems about the right time

Dave Terrell. A name most new fans prob don’t know. Used to be the quintessential “what if...?”
I felt like he never recovered mentally from Evan tanner fight

i mean, how are mark kerr and ronda different?
i don't keep up with anything she has done since losing to amanda, but you sound like you follow all her stuff, so maybe you know more than i do.

but ronda was living in her car and addicted to pain killers when she started fighting. her dad killed himself when she was a kid and she's been depressed ever since. didn't she say she thought about killing herself when she lost? she sounds like she's got some serious mental health issues that got in the way once she lost.

i remember watching the smashing machine and the kerr story fits what you say "megalomaniac with a superiority complex that got a reality check"
this guy thought he was the best because he was a wrestler that was on all the drugs and then got a serious reality check when Igor Vovchanchyn took his soul

Come why the low jab with "you seem like you follow all her stuff". I saw a thread about her last interview here on sherdog forum. We can't keep it cordial ?

And honestly you seem to have followed her way more than I am i didn't know about her backstory prior to mma.

To me the two are different because Mark seemed like he has a real health issue. The turning point was the fujita fight IMO not Igor. He just froze up. He wasn't outclassed or anything, his mind have up. Ronda was outskilled by Holly and Amanda. She didn't froze up in turtle position while having a tremendous physical advantage.

And mark never stroke me as cocky or disrespectful. Not even in the smashing machine. He had a rather shy personna to be honest.

Ronda on TUF was insufferable, super disrespectful, then she had delusions about beating Cain on "a given night" or whatever she said and talked about killing herself because she is such a sore loser with an inflated ego that she couldn't handle a loss like any sportsman. A true megalomaniac. She's just crazy to me.

The Polish Experiment
On August 15, 2014, Krzysztof announced his retirement from MMA competition on Inside MMA, citing memory problems that began occurring after his last fight.[15]

Dave Terrel

Dave Terrell. A name most new fans prob don’t know. Used to be the quintessential “what if...?”

I will add both. What was Dave Terrel issue ? I pride myself has a fairly ancient fan but I admit to not knowing him.

Mma is brutal. Crazy to see guys fighting 20+ years.

dada-5000.jpg

Dada 5000. Nuff said.

Hasn't retired yet but that FW Emmett?

Dude was on a roll if I recall and blew out his knee horribly, then just hurt it again in his last fight right?

Hope he doesn't make this list but seems like he might.

dom cruz's massive sphincter problem have led some to speculate that he should retire... but he's still on that title chase!

Back