Fighters who throw strikes even though their opponent is clearly out

Jamoke

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why do guys do that? I never get it. When a guy is clearly completely out, what do you get from smashing his head with power shots? I always lose a bit of respect for guys when they do that and then post fight say shit like "Oh man he's a great fighter I love the guy and respect him so much!"

2.gif

rashad-evans_sean-salmon.gif

images_display_image.jpeg

It's not over until the ref stops the fight. And you don't want your opponent to wake up and let the win slip away.

You've either never played a sport before or you overestimate the mind reading abilities of most fighters.

Or both.

bigko.gif

Hendo and Stevens have loads. Does anyone know what happened with Steven's assault charges?

Agree not a fan of it, sometimes they go out but its not that noticeable, i dont think from a fighters stand point but sometimes its ridiculously obvious and i just cringe.

Because a lot of the time a fighter is only 'clearly out' in retrospect. When a fight is happening live you see a guy fall and a follow up shot; not a guy fall in slow-motion from 6 different angles. And let's be honest, if a guy doesn't pursue that definitive strike, he suddenly has no 'killer instinct' according to armchair warriors.

I suppose you gained tremendous respect for Paul Harris after the Dan Miller fight?

I've seen plenty of fights where the victim wakes up fast then continues because the fight wasn't stopped. Also fights where the victim doesn't even know they went to sleep and argue in good faith with the ref. I think guys are trained to go until the ref calls an official end to the bout.

That said, I have more respect for those who walk away rather than punish an unconscious opponent, and automatically credit that fighter.

Have you ever been in a fight? For me it's instinctive to keep pummeling someone once you drop them. Until you realize they're out or in mma's case the ref stops the fight.

I'm against guy hitting them when the ref has pulled them off but I wouldn't stop until it's over.

tim_kennedy_ko.gif

EDIT: It wasn't as bad as I remember actually

Sometimes it's hard to tell, sometimes the adrenaline is going, and they're fucking pro fighters lol.

I also assume they're told to keep going until the ref breaks it up, just in case the guy somehow recovers.

It may be brutal, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Sometimes it is pretty obvious. And cringe inducing. And I think its great when a fighter can tell his opponent is down and holds off on that last strike.

But its the refs job to keep fighters safe, not the fighter. A late stoppage is better than an early one, just like making sure the job is done is better than possibly letting someone off the hook when they're rocked.

Probably one of the most blatant examples of a fighter throwing extra strikes being in the wrong:

quinton-jackson_wanderlie-silva.gif

Quinton's only time doing this that I remember but it was pretty bad.

How was Rampage not disciplined for that?

In most cases it is fear of your opponent rolling over And getting up. We have seen this many times.
...but as much as I love Dan Henderson, he should have been kicked out of the UFC for what he did to Bisping. That could have ended Bispings career, And we don't know what damage it did to him. Disguesting!

It's not over until the ref stops the fight. And you don't want your opponent to wake up and let the win slip away.

I never understood how the first post is always spot on. Is it coincidence forreal?

In Pat Barry's case, he probably should have stopped after the first time he knocked Kongo out instead of knocking him back to consciousness

It's pretty clear to Stephens and Rashad that their opponents are out. Stephens even quickly sprints to deliver that punch before the ref can stop it, and Rashad loads up on that one punch as much as he humanly can.

I don't mind if a guy continues when his opponent is still conscious and might recover, but these guys and everyone else saw that their opponents were "dead" but still decided to braindamage them some more.

Back