Fighters who started late and made it to the top

Nordicviking

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wich fighters started training k1/muay thai late and made it to the top?
I know Cosmo started training at 19 or 20. Maybe not so late but a couple of years later than most of the fighters.

Rodney Glunder started training at 18 and went on to win multiple martial arts championships and even becoming a K-1 Champion.

Jon Jones
Sergio Martinez

To the person who said Jon Jones, starting MMA at age 20 with a strong base doesn't count otherwise you would say all the MMA champs started late.

Since this is the K-1 and kickboxing forum Remy Bonjasky started training at 19. What's more surprising I'd he said he only trained 3 times a week up until the age of 26 when he started to earn some decent money.

Orono Wor Petchpun was 15 when he started. Late for a Thai.

Sangtiennoi and Anuwat both 13.

Yea Jon Jones already had a strong grappling base so it's not really applicable (same with Lesnar)

But Hopkins, Sergio, Cosmo etc started late.

Many Pro kickboxers/boxers seem to start training for the first time in the 12-15 age range...Obviously guys from Thailand etc start younger....And guys who were groomed solely to be a boxer like Mayweather obviously started basically from birth.

Giorgio Petrosyan started training when he was 14
Canelo Alvarez started training when he was 13
etc etc etc

This thread is not what I was expecting; I thought there would be more late 20's and even a 30 year old thrown in somewhere. For example, on a minor level - I've kickboxed since 21 but I don't compete. I'm 32 this year and if I started fighting, I think I'd be a decent mid level fighter but no champion. Are there no examples of 25+ ?

That isn't a dig at the thread starter either - I think the thread is good but for I clearly see things differently at a "late starter" haha :D

This thread is not what I was expecting; I thought there would be more late 20's and even a 30 year old thrown in somewhere. For example, on a minor level - I've kickboxed since 21 but I don't compete. I'm 32 this year and if I started fighting, I think I'd be a decent mid level fighter but no champion. Are there no examples of 25+ ?

No you won't :icon_twis Go try out a few fights, and you will change your mind. Do not disrespect mid-tier guys!

in MMA, there is Nate Quarry. he was 24 when he discovered martial arts and MMA

He started at the age of 21. Did some tkd before, but for a short period.

When did he start?
Just writing names is pretty annoying. Write the age or whatever you know. Not just two words.

Hunt's story is pretty well known. He didn't start training until he was near his mid 20's and had his first fight around age 25. He was discovered by a kickboxer/bouncer while getting into bar brawls and was invited to a gym to train. He had no prior martial arts experience.

Since this is the K-1 and kickboxing forum Remy Bonjasky started training at 19. What's more surprising I'd he said he only trained 3 times a week up until the age of 26 when he started to earn some decent money.

I read somewhere that Remy was a really gifted footballer (soccer player) as well, but that he chose to follow his passion for fighting.

Somehow I could easily imagine Remy in a football jersey playing for Barcelona :)

Back