Fighters who EARNED their nickname and status

Joanna Champion

It really started because the media couldn't ever pronounce her last name. It stuck for a long while. I don't know if she will go back to it again if she beats Weili now that she has used Strawweight Queen over the past year and a half.
Nah that nickname and her insanely smug attitude always irked me, loved watching Rose finish her, hope Zhang does the same in even more brutal fashion. As for nicknames Jacare's was apt with his ability to grab a sub, Cro Cop seeing as he was actually a cop but Tank Abbott or the Axe Murderer are at the very top.

Yoel earned the nickname "Soldier of God" by fighting in the holy land in the first crusade.

Chuck Liddell AKA Iceman... Again, most newer dudes may not remember that in his prime, Chuck Liddell was the baddest mofo in our world. I dare say that Chuck in his prime is the equivalent of what Tyson was to boxing. Liddell Iced dudes left and right in cold blooded manner.
Not trying to be a dick @Cooliox, but, were you around then? I remember prime Chuck (Awaiting for Tito to come back fro injury so the could have their title shot) sweating to decision true MW Bustamante (A BJJ guy with not wrestling, the easys stylistc matchup possible), decisioning fat WW Suloev (A "full contact" kiboxer with no knowlegde about checking low kicks and nebulous grappling credentials) with very little dominance, being beaten by fist ,and then struggle to (Before the eyepoke) Randy, being thrashed twice by Rampage, decisioning Vitor...

Even when he Knocked out in impressive fashion , Mezger, the Reem (Both were fighting better before the knockout), Babalu... even shot journeyman Vernon (Eyepoke or not eyepoke); neither of them were scared of him. Only Tito was.

Not to mention tha no one that wasn't an UFC full retard nuthugger considered him the nr. 1 LHW of that time, in any period. In fact most people didn't consider him top 3 LHW at his tittle reign, placing him behind Wandy, Arona, Rampage and Shogun.

Chuck was very good and exciting, but comparing him to Tyson is either ingnorant of just plain stupid.

Another boxing one but Durans nickname of Manos de Piedra (Hands of Stone) is fantastic, and he also lived up to the moniker

Not trying to be a dick @Cooliox, but, were you around then? I remember prime Chuck (Awaiting for Tito to come back fro injury so the could have their title shot) sweating to decision true MW Bustamante (A BJJ guy with not wrestling, the easys stylistc matchup possible), decisioning fat WW Suloev (A "full contact" kiboxer with no knowlegde about checking low kicks and nebulous grappling credentials) with very little dominance, being beaten by fist ,and then struggle to (Before the eyepoke) Randy, being thrashed twice by Rampage, decisioning Vitor...

Even when he Knocked out in impressive fashion , Mezger, the Reem (Both were fighting better before the knockout), Babalu... even shot journeyman Vernon (Eyepoke or not eyepoke); neither of them were scared of him. Only Tito was.

Not to mention tha no one that wasn't an UFC full retard nuthugger considered him the nr. 1 LHW of that time, in any period. In fact most people didn't consider him top 3 LHW at his tittle reign, placing him behind Wandy, Arona, Rampage and Shogun.

Chuck was very good and exciting, but comparing him to Tyson is either ingnorant of just plain stupid.
Yes, you are indeed being a judgmental dick, probably why you have dubs in this era where they rarely hand out dubs like they did before.

I would get-together with my friends in high school for a sleepover, to watch Tyson fight.

I watched Liddell fight. It was the same vibe for me. If you disagree, no worries.

Nah that nickname and her insanely smug attitude always irked me, loved watching Rose finish her, hope Zhang does the same in even more brutal fashion. As for nicknames Jacare's was apt with his ability to grab a sub, Cro Cop seeing as he was actually a cop but Tank Abbott or the Axe Murderer are at the very top.
And Rose and her camp are manipulative, which Pat revealed on JRE, with Rose herself being a dick even in fights. She scraped her fingernail across Joanna's eye in the rematch and then used the glove touching at the start of the match with Andrade to gauge the distance and begin her choreographed striking she spent a year perfecting.

I enjoyed watching Andrade smash her face across the octagon and seeing the smug upset look on Rose's face immediately after. Also enjoyed listening to her make her numerous excuses immediately in the cage and post fight.

But none of it compared to listening to her fans breathlessly defending her for it while in the same breath criticizing Joanna.

Oh how sweet it is.

The evolution of a fighters nick name (whether taken by the fighter or assigned by fans and media), is best scene with Vitor:
The Phenom - No one gave a f$% about steroids. Vitor was young, jacked, had fast hands and was blitzing knock outs
TRT Vitor - Still pretty jacked and was spamming spinning head kicks and taking people's faces off
Dad-Bod Vitor - Victimized twice by the Crane Technique from Anderson and Machida

Tank's is so good I don't even know his real name. That has to count for something.

Bones, man! Look at those pickers
85j_eXHf-oGFhH0bT7ID9Q8bl0HsQjlBuz4CGwF9onY.jpg

Those are some legit organgutan arms he's got jesus christ.

Justin “The Highlight” Gaethje. Every fight is a highlight whether he wins or not.

Anthony “Showtime” Pettis. Back in his prime for sure. Nowadays not so much. But he’s still game until he gives up.

David "the crow" Loiseau. Basically earned it at Birth.

susumu02.jpg

HugeSkinnyChinchilla-small.gif

Back