Fighters who devolved into a brawling style

I generally agree with this all, his grappling in recent times was, at times, so sloppy that it was heartbreaking, got Hendo almost forked, but got KO'd instead due to terrible excuse of top control... Let alone how easily he was controlled against the cage.

But I don't quite get the hand injuries argument.

How hand injures were preventing him from drilling grappling, and not from training those huge haymakers he was constantly throwing late in his career?

Yeah, not to mention how careless he was in Werdum's guard when he didn't back out from the triangle when he had a good opening. It's amazing how bad Fedor's fight IQ was in his Strikeforce fights compared to some of his Pride fights like Big Nog 3 and Cro Cop. I still firmly believe that that Fedor was the greatest fighter ever to step in to the ring.

Iceman. He still has what it takes to be a top 10 fighter, it's just that he needs to mix up his game and use his wrestling for GNP and subs as he gets beaten by superior strikers. I wish he had learned that after the first couple of KOs he suffered and he was doing very well against Franklin, just that he was headhunting (like Babalu against Iceman) and it's not really the smartest thing to do.

Good example, his wrestling and most of all wrestling defense haven't looked good in years.

Really? Rashad tried so hard to take him down in their fight and he couldn't even get close to it. Hendo is a brawler now but his takedown defense is still top-tier.

Hendo deserves mention. The timing of Shogun vs. Hendo was the key to what made it such an insane slugfest. Both guys have turned into straight up brawlers over the years. Had that fight happened back in Pride, it would've been a much different fight altogether.

Fedor, easily.

Fedor trained in Holland in 2005, for the Cro Cop fight.

true but he should have made it a regular thing and went back over and over
Instead he stayed in his own small town training with his buddies....such a waste
:icon_cry2

Fedor became somewhat 1-dimensional. But Hendo is the ultimate example (he was never truly 3-dimensional though). Fedor in his prime was (submissions, striking, takedowns)

Yeah, not to mention how careless he was in Werdum's guard when he didn't back out from the triangle when he had a good opening. It's amazing how bad Fedor's fight IQ was in his Strikeforce fights compared to some of his Pride fights like Big Nog 3 and Cro Cop. I still firmly believe that that Fedor was the greatest fighter ever to step in to the ring.

As far as I recall, Fedor did get out of the triangle, then proceeded to punch away some more. Then Werdum slapped on the triangle again and Fedor was moving out of it when... he bumped into the cage. And that's where he, in his own words, hesitated, giving Werdum the chance to lock it in. I think Fedor knew what he was doing. He just brainfarted. And maybe it was bumping into the cage that caused the brainfart.

I generally agree with this all, his grappling in recent times was, at times, so sloppy that it was heartbreaking, got Hendo almost forked, but got KO'd instead due to terrible excuse of top control... Let alone how easily he was controlled against the cage.

But I don't quite get the hand injuries argument.

How hand injures were preventing him from drilling grappling, and not from training those huge haymakers he was constantly throwing late in his career?

TBH I dont think Fedor STOPPED DRILLING grappling but I think he was too based around the Judo/Sambo style of rolling. There is no way in hell he had anyone in his camps who could throw up a triangle from their back with the technique and leverage of Fabricio Werdum. There was no one in his camp who could mount him with the size and technical BJJ of Bigfoot. I doubt there were guys who could clinch and brawl the way Hendo can.

There is no way in hell you can have a chance with Werdum or Bigfoot on the ground if your main sparring partners are Kirill Sidelnikov and Maxim Grishin.

How can you be prepared for those kind of moments in the fights with such sparring partners. I find it fascinating how well Fedor performed with such shitty training partners.

About his hands he said he didnt go for submissions on Mirko because his hands were so fucked up. At that time his stand up looked better than ever. His ground game looked worse since then so Im guessing he trained more stand up from that point. Sometimes punching doesnt effect your hands after being broken and other techniques suffer.

Also at some point I think Fedor stopped caring. After the Josh Barnett fight fell through I think Fedor said to himself "Fuck this shit. Im here to fight too much politics" and just came around to build his M-1 brand and grow the sport in russia. he could care less about being a champion at that point IMO.

As far as I recall, Fedor did get out of the triangle, then proceeded to punch away some more. Then Werdum slapped on the triangle again and Fedor was moving out of it when... he bumped into the cage. And that's where he, in his own words, hesitated, giving Werdum the chance to lock it in. I think Fedor knew what he was doing. He just brainfarted. And maybe it was bumping into the cage that caused the brainfart.

Fedor shouldnt have been in Werdum's guard regardless IMO. Big mistake.

When looking at the downfall of many of the best fighters of past eras, I notice a common trend of fighters who habitually used a technical, or at least varied arsenal of both standup and grappling techniques who, over the years, abandoned much of the style that made them so successful, particularly in terms of defense, and started to just swing for the fences with the objective of finishing their opponents as quickly as possible, be it due to physical decay or plain complacency. The two prime examples of this are, in my opinion, Shogun and Fedor. An argument could be made that both fighters always had a highly aggressive style, but it's very egregious to me how Fedor abandoned most of his grappling after his Pride career and started to rely on his big right hand to do most of the job. Shogun also abandoned most of his kicking technique in recent years, stopped emplying effective movement and became extremely hittable and also hasn't shown almost any of the excellent jiu jitsu he did in his Pride career.

(Interestingly, Wanderlei Silva suffered an inverse process, as he became more tentative and less agressive as his chin started to give out).

Not Shogun......he has always use a well rounded mma game. In all his past fights......Sonnen, Gus, Vera, Hendo and Jones he has taken them down or at least attempted to. Shogun has pretty much fought with the same strategy of mixing up striking with ground game as he did in Pride. And its exaggerated that he comes in and just swing power shots. He doesnt kick anymore...dont know why.

Pretty much same with Fedor, he fought the same way.

Fedor shouldnt have been in Werdum's guard regardless IMO. Big mistake.

He got out once and then went after him again......he dropped him with a punch got on top, should have stood up.

Not sure if this is a great example but maybe Roy Nelson. Allegedly is BJJ is filthy but for the past X-years he's just been trying to land his right hand while absorbing every possible type of blow to his face.

What athlete calls it quits after one ACL/MCL tear any more?

That's just a stupid and wrong statement.

And with modern medicine and the developments in ACL repairs, players often come back just as strong with the right amount of rehab and repair.

Look at Adrian Peterson, RGIII at Baylor (and could be again, if he regains full health after his second ACL surgery), etc... people tear their ACL's all the time in the NFL in particular and they battle back and regain their strength.

The most correct answer is Jorge Gurgel, I would have never known his base was BJJ if it wasn't for Rogan.

Sucks but this invariably happens to all my favorite fighters for whatever reason; Fredo, Shotgun, Hando, Rumprage, even Marko Crip Cop to a degree.

Fedor turned into a brawler because his ground game turned to shit with all of those hand injuries.

Fedor's ground game training became limited because it conflicted with some of the religious beliefs, and he had lost the desire to fight.

Fedor's ground game training became limited because it conflicted with some of the religious beliefs, and he had lost the desire to fight.

lol, WHAT?

his religious beliefs included something like "thou shalt not grapple in practice"?

Back