Fighters who devolved into a brawling style

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by countswagula, Oct 4, 2013.

1. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

When looking at the downfall of many of the best fighters of past eras, I notice a common trend of fighters who habitually used a technical, or at least varied arsenal of both standup and grappling techniques who, over the years, abandoned much of the style that made them so successful, particularly in terms of defense, and started to just swing for the fences with the objective of finishing their opponents as quickly as possible, be it due to physical decay or plain complacency. The two prime examples of this are, in my opinion, Shogun and Fedor. An argument could be made that both fighters always had a highly aggressive style, but it's very egregious to me how Fedor abandoned most of his grappling after his Pride career and started to rely on his big right hand to do most of the job. Shogun also abandoned most of his kicking technique in recent years, stopped emplying effective movement and became extremely hittable and also hasn't shown almost any of the excellent jiu jitsu he did in his Pride career.

(Interestingly, Wanderlei Silva suffered an inverse process, as he became more tentative and less agressive as his chin started to give out).

2. Concrete

Concrete Steel Belt

Shogun was always wild as hell. The kicking thing could be because of his serious injuries (I know I know, Shogun hugger's no.1 excuse).

Fedor I'll give you, but he started believing it was in the stars for him to win.

3. tenniswhiz

tenniswhiz Steel Belt

Akiyama
    Jorge Gurgel
    Andy Wang

4. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

BJ is another example, who, even if not a straight up brawler, became increasingly one-dimensional and reliant on his hands.

5. WrestlingIsReal

WrestlingIsReal Purple Belt

Kos, threw his wrestling away for his beloved right hand.

6. bambammccoy

bambammccoy Red Belt

His knees have been done. Then JBJ kicked them to shit and that didn't help one bit.

7. UFCFantasyMVP

UFCFantasyMVP Blue Belt

I immediately thought, Dan Henderson. Just thought it would've been mentioned immediately. I'm never too quick to jump on posts... but uh yeah, Hendo's a good example.

8. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

Good example, his wrestling and most of all wrestling defense haven't looked good in years.

9. MrElbows

MrElbows Blue Belt

Rampage. No more kicks, knees, or slams just punches. He would throw the same combo over & over regardless if he's winning or losing.

10. Steven1562

Steven1562 Green Belt

This ... Dan goes for broke and tries to land the H-Bomb every time abandoning his good wrestling

11. SeattleFightFan

SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

but not a head hunter brawler thogh, just a boxer. like Rampage. big difference than what TS is asking (i think)

to answer TS, i thought Fedor & Shogun were good answers. i might have included CroCop, except he went downhill so much physically he didn't even become a headhunter/brawler; something less than that even.

Gary Goodridge too

12. MiroHa

MiroHa Red Belt

Fedor
    Shogun
    Hendo
    Rampage (not exactly a brawler but used only his hands in later UFC fights)

13. Dejch

Dejch Orange Belt

I think that KO power becomes addictive like a drug. Once you KO couple of people violently you want to do it every time, you become impatient.

14. blaine hislop

blaine hislop Orange Belt

I like your comments about Cro Cop, but I think the devastating blow to his psyche courtesy getting head-kicked into near-oblivion by Gonzaga was what really did him in. Mentally, he never recovered from that fight.

15. lowsingle

lowsingle Banned Banned

to be fair, i think its often outside of their control.

for example frank shamrock said that his knees were so bad that by the time he made his "comeback" he had to strike since he couldnt shoot a doubleleg worth a damn anymore

i think shogun was always a brawler, who with the exception of the lyoto fight, really wasnt the best striker. he really won his fights from getting trips or knockdowns and then beasting the shit out of them with GNP. for example, he got outstruck by lil nog but won that fight via top game.

fedor ill give you. he seems like he still could grapple, but he just swung for the fences until his opponents tried to take him down

16. MiroHa

MiroHa Red Belt

Didn't Ken have a similar situation as well after he returned to MMA from pro wrestling except his problems were back related?

Shogun had good movement and his striking was well rounded but he lost a lot of that probably because of several knee surgeries.

17. SeattleFightFan

SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

possibly. but why would it ruin him more than the Randleman KO?

physically he was on the downward spiral before that fight. a high level kickboxer hardly being able to lift his foot above his waist makes for a pretty shitty fighter, eh?

18. Reel Box Fen**

Reel Box Fen** Banned Banned

Fedor turned into a brawler because his ground game turned to shit with all of those hand injuries.

19. lowsingle

lowsingle Banned Banned

would not be surprised about ken. both shamrocks have insane wear and tear on their bodies by now

and i agree, shogun was a very good striker. but i wouldnt even consider prime shogun a striker, it wasnt his strongest part of his game and he seemed to do it just long enough to get on top of them. compared to someone like wand, who often just went for stomps knowing that his opponents would get up and strike with him again

20. Steve08

Steve08 American Fedor Belt

Fedor.
    This, as well as Shogun and Hendo.

Shogun has always been fairly wild and not had much traditional boxing technique to speak of, but his kicks were the best part of his game, given that, like, two of the greatest performances of his entire career (vs. Chuck and Machida the first time) were based entirely around low kicks. Fuck ACL tears...

(To the people who say "ohhh, injuries are just an excuse": some professional athletes call it a career after sustaining one [not three] ACL tear).