Fighters who could/should be better than they are.

Honestnathaniel

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
What fighters do you think could be elite level/champions or just more successful than they are if they changed/improved one aspect of their game? Whether that aspect be mental, physical or a training camp or any other factor you can think of.
My choice is guillard, he could be a real top level threat if he wisened up his gameplans imo.

Kongo. Legit well rounded skillset combined with terrible gameplans.

Rick Story, Melvin Guillard.

Story? What aspect?

The fact that he doesnt nothing besides try to "Grind" against the cage.

His boxing is meh, his takedowns aren't great, he's not great off of his back.
He seems to just like to look buff and hold on to guys, really.

Rick's a cool, young dude, who could make waves with his athleticism and work ethic if he would sharpen his striking and get a BJJ game going.

Melvin Guillard
Amir Sadollah
Thiago Alves
Tom Lawlor

Alessio Sakara + solid chin = really aggressive fighter with good hands, and a bjj blackbelt.

All his fights end in the first round, either because he gets ko'd or he knocks the guy out. With a sturdier chin, he'd be a scary fight for a lot of middleweights IMO.

Mark hunt.
gegard mousasi.
and it's a little late now but lesnar, who I've always disliked, always will, could have been alot better than he was if he could take a punch.

The fact that he doesnt nothing besides try to "Grind" against the cage.

His boxing is meh, his takedowns aren't great, he's not great off of his back.
He seems to just like to look buff and hold on to guys, really.

Rick's a cool, young dude, who could make waves with his athleticism and work ethic if he would sharpen his striking and get a BJJ game going.

Interesting, I thought he looked very one dimensional against Kampmann, but I agree he has the tools to be a contender someday.

BJ is a obvious one, if he just applied himself in training and fought at his optimum weight class.

Nick Diaz if he could come up with more than one gameplan.

Koscheck if he uses his wrestling.

Mark hunt.
gegard mousasi.
and it's a little late now but lesnar, who I've always disliked, always will, could have been alot better than he was if he could take a punch.

Mousasi?!? The guy is one of the best fighers in the world...

i would have to say cro cop should've been better than he was. the guy had so much potential and raw talent possessing all the tools to be a champ but sadly never evolved. cc became too predictable with his striking and didn't have too much variety when threw combos. he kicked like a mule and should've put that power to good use by utilising leg kicks. cc also had excellent straight punches but hardly threw combos leading with the jab.already a veteren of the sport when he first fought in the ufc, don't know what belt he had in bjj, but he should have seriously pursued his bjj training to acquire a black belt to be on par with the many ufc fighters who have one. above all, cc should've trained with a great team to be up to date with mma techniques. it would've been epic to see him train with werdum and his team.

Joe Lauzon. He fades a lot, although his last war gives me hope for a for a more consistent future.

Mark hunt.
gegard mousasi.

Agree on Lesnar.

He would've done better with a camp that he didn't handpick and pay for.

Back