FIghters who are likely to retire this year.

Frankie Edgar. Dude is 38 and was brutally finished by Zombie in his last outing dropping down to BW would result in something similar.
Joe Lauzon. Dude has had a stellar career and would always be one of my favourite fighter.
DC. He wanted to retire almost 2 years ago i guess now the time is right
Cub Swanson. Seeing him cry after winning against Gracie was hard and that victory was pretty hard fought i hope he retires.

DC is a great commentator, pride will best him, he’ll be back. Dude should step into a new role sooner than later, ego’s a bitch.

He’s too good to step back I fear.

I mean look at when these active heavyweights made their pro debuts, it's nuts.
Oleinik - 1996 = 7ko losses. Significant, but fought a lot in reagional promotions, in M1 and submission grappling tournaments. Still got a chin. Doing ok.
Arlovski - 1999 = should retire right now. Still can decision ppl, but KO's are piling up.
Reem - 1999 = should have retired three years ago after Ngannou.
Rampage - 1999 = way overdue, and kinda semi-retired? Not sure. Also barely a heavyweight, just lazy and fat now, heh.
Fedor - 2000 = Same as Overeem, should have been retired 3 years ago after Mitrione. Or after Maldonado. Fedor arguably lost that fight and took a lot of damage.
Sergei - 2000 = Still doing alright, imo, dude got a chin, good striking defence, not fighting often and not against top opposition.
Mir - 2001 = Bike accident broke his body, why is he still fighting i have no idea.
Kongo - 2001 = Yep. Got his CTE on hold in kickboxing already, keeps doing MMA.
Rothwell - 2001= Na, Rothwell is doing alright. His last KO loss was in 2008, ans TKO loss in 2009. Still got a chin on him and ready for a few more wars.
Vera - 2002 = fights rarely, washed up at this point.
Aleks - 2003 = I have nothing to say.
Hunt - 2004 = Kinda retired, no? But ye, time to hang the gloves. Insane career already.
Nelson - 2004 = Should have retired after Lewis, took so much damage during his UFC career its insane. Even before the Lewis fight, Hunt showed his chin wasnt that indestructible.

Last edited:
BJ Penn.....PLEASE!:(
Frank Mir, and half of the Bellator HW division!

750k per Fight. Da Ecoreem is going nowhere unfortunately.

<{CMPALM}>

its unfortunate the way GG has ended up....and at the risk of sounding like an asshole ...I'd put out there that it just wasnt the way he lost some fights that has led him to his current condition, the short time frames between such losses, outside sports incidents ((namely street fights/unsanctioned fights)) plus I dont think he was ever really all there to begin with((or a childhood incident addled him some)) certainly the fighting career and his losses did his brain no favours but it still seems like there is something more to it

I think we may see the last of Overeem this year. I'd hate to see him take anther crushing KO.

Lawler for not even fighting in his last fight.
Cerrone for not even fighting in his last fight.
Diego for not even fighting in his last fight.

These 3 are very different but they all have one thing in common: they are coming for a paycheck. If the fight has left their bodies and hearts, fine they had a good run but they should retire from the fight game.

The only one where I am a bit on the fence is Lawler, though. He still looks like a killer but somehow just went on strike in his last fight.

Bkfc for Diego if ufc cuts him. No way he retires.

Donald Cerrone. I don't think he has anything left. When a fighter gets to that stage they usually fight for another 10 years though.

I think Cerrone will keep going no matter how many losses he accumulates, until retirement is forced on him, in the same vein as Arlovski or Diego Sanchez.

To answer the OP I would say;

Alistair Overeem- Injuries have been building up and he's talked about having one last title run. I think one more loss and he retires.

Glover Teixeira- I think he's winding down his career now, similar to Overeem, I don't think he's going to be a serious contender going forward, one or two more losses and he probably calls it a career.

Fedor Emelianenko - 43 years old - Other than a 3 yr period between '12 and '15 Fedor has been in the game 20 yrs,and he himself has said he wants 2 more fights. They could both happen this year,as he seems to fight twice a year anyway.

Daniel Cormier - 40 years old - Khabib mentioned that he and Javier and the AKA guys want DC to retire,going into the 2nd fight with Stipe,and that DC is havin a hard time with it. Still,he doesnt have many options,especially considering Stipe doesnt appear to want to fight him,although money talks.

What say you?
None of them will. Many of them should. Anderson, Overeem, Diego Sanchez and many more.

I dunno about Condit, seems he's in it purely for the money at the moment, so if the moneys there from BKFC, I could see him taking the offer, unfortunately.

At least in BKFC his subpar takedown defense wouldn't be a problem.

Paige van Zant (presented as 'My arm won't heal', translation, 'Making too much $$$ on Instagram')
Karolina Kowalkiewicz (mentally already semi-retired)
Cormier (obviously)
Weidman (more time to play video games with Gian)
Arlovski (too many miles on the tires)
Villante (more time to play video games with Chris)
Holly Holm (maybe)

Back