Fighters who are completely different from their first fights

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by IamnotJonFitch, Dec 23, 2012.

1. IamnotJonFitch

IamnotJonFitch Green Belt

I was watching an old UFC DVD, I think it was 44, and old Nick Diaz was on it. It was just interesting, because I had forgotten how used to be just a grappler. The whole fight he was shooting for takedowns, and seem pretty afraid of the stand up game.

Nick now employs an entire different strategy and fights completely different than he used to, although I'm sure his Jiu Jitsu is still awesome.

Anyone else like this?

2. markys00

markys00 Silver Belt

man... every single fighter..?

3. MMAdict

MMAdict Brown Belt

Maia went from grappler to striker to grappler again.

4. beefcake180

beefcake180 Aces Wild

Jon Jones from Gusmao to now.

5. hydingjekyll

hydingjekyll Green Belt

Georges St. Pierre is no longer in the "rush" that got him his nickname; now he's very methodical, and finishing is a potential perk instead of his goal.

6. tkdyo

tkdyo Orange Belt

GSP is a prime example. He use to strike a lot more, even using lots of kicks. Ever since the Serra loss he either jabs or goes for takedowns without much else. But hey, if its working, why change it.

edit: beat me to it lol

7. Lucifer Alpha

Lucifer Alpha The Catastrophe

Scott Jorgensen

8. cameronpoe

cameronpoe White Belt

Korean Zombie changed a lot for the better in my opinion since his American debut at WEC 48.

9. thedevious

thedevious Everyone Is On PEDs Except Me

Hey-oh......

I think...

10. TRYHARD 2001

TRYHARD 2001 Silver Belt

Matt Serra. The guy has refused to grapple for years now. It's incredible, really.

11. MMA

MMA Silver Belt Platinum Member

I feel like you guys above have a really skewed idea of how GSP used to fight.

He used to do the exact same thing, but against guys who were less equipped to handle him. A lot of his tkos were from the same takedowns and ground and pound that are his bread and butter today. He still pushes a furious pace. You've got to be fucking kidding me if you think he's not pushing a hard pace in his fights. He's still very explosive. That's actually probably why he gets an injury in many of his fights.

Not only was he fighting lower level comp in general, but back then even top guys used to kind of just fold on the reg.

Also, TS, until Nick Ko'd Lawler everyone always assumed he was a one-note BJJ guy, but if you watch his pre-UFC fights he often stood even with strikers and usually beat them on the feet before subbing them later in the fight.

I'd say a great example of a fighter like this is Rampage.

12. C0NCH3TO

C0NCH3TO Gold Belt

Machida, now he's exciting.
    Hendo, before he used his wresslin mostly and was winning by decision. Now he's ''ko'' dan.

13. esalmighty

esalmighty Purple Belt

I think I give more credit to fighter who evolve their game into striking and their primary attacks (like wrestling) comes secondary.

But someone like GSP you can't honestly blame for wanting to win fights over finishing them. "Rush"ing in and getting KO'd is always a possibility but if he knows he can just ground and pound you out or jab you to death, why not? He has his "legacy" to maintain.

GSP and I'm sure a lot of others its like, they fight for themselves (not fans no matter what they say) and rightfully so, most MMA fans are just waiting for a great fighter to fail.

But yeah...Diaz being mostly striking is kinda awesome and shows how far his game has come, it's a good thing because then maybe people will forget he is great off his back and go for a takedown.

14. kuromusha

kuromusha LONZO LOOMS 2019

Machida has always been exciting. Secondly, Henderson was not called "Decision Dan" (what I think you are referring to) simply because he was winning by decision. It was because the decisions that he did "win" were questionable.

15. NorCalNinja

NorCalNinja Odins Triangle

/thread

16. F Z NUTZ

F Z NUTZ Banned Banned

Condit has seemed to have developed a new style. Not sure I like it as much as his old style.

17. IamnotJonFitch

IamnotJonFitch Green Belt

...well I mean, not really. This thread is about guys who have changed their styles and now use different strategies they would not have used when they first started, like Nick Diaz.

I don't mean guys like Frank Mir, who although has completely improved his striking still basically looks for submissions and that's definitely his best chance, just like when he first started, but guys who employ completely different strategies than they used to because they are legitimately completely different.

so, not /thread.

18. Phokuz

Phokuz Brown Belt

Rampage threw like a combined 10 punches during his couple first fights. He was a pure grappler, used to throw and slam the shit out of his opponents back then. He still did that later in Pride but used more of his striking and nowadays he's almost only striking.

19. NorCalNinja

NorCalNinja Odins Triangle

Frank Mir beat Big Country down without looking for a single sub. He is a completely different fighter.

So ya, /thread.

20. Russian AK47

Russian AK47 Blue Belt

Exactly, you win.