Fighters to study with great foot work

James Smith

Amateur Fighter
@White
Reaction score
I enjoy studying fighters and seeing what I can take from their games to improve my own. Currently I've been watching allot of Dominick cruz he has amazing foot work and movement and that is my style also. But I am looking for other fighters I could study south paws particularl, because I am a southpaw myself.

Eh I'm personally not a huge fan of Cruz's footwork. Too much movement with too little balance and positioning. He's just over the top with it and while he's hard to hit, he also can't hit hard.

Mcgregor is a southpaw with serious footwork, as is Pettis when fighting an orthodox fighter. Machida and silva should be your first priority though. Belfort has some great moments as well, specifically his footwork against Bisping.

Cung Le is an awesome southpaw if you like to kick a lot. Manny Pacquiao is good to but he's a boxer and doesn't have to worry about the takedown.

Guillermo Rigondeaux is a southpaw boxer that moves like water and has knockout power.

[YT]c-t41JDW51k[/YT]

Eh I'm personally not a huge fan of Cruz's footwork. Too much movement with too little balance and positioning. He's just over the top with it and while he's hard to hit, he also can't hit hard.
I agree (though I like his fighting in general a lot, really unorthodox), he often temporarily skips his feet underneath himself for seemingly no reason, and sometimes throws punches while almost completely facing sideways, but he still does manage to do fundamental stuff like exit on a different angle from the one he comes in on with regularity, which is something seemingly beyond most MMA fighters right now, and he has learned the value of stepping away as an opponent comes into strike very well (something which, of course, Machida and Silva are also excellent at). He still manages to drop guys from time to time with sharp counter rights also.

Last edited:
Guillermo Rigondeaux is a southpaw boxer that moves like water and has knockout power.

Yep, if you want to watch a SP with excellent footwork and positioning Rigo is certainly the one to watch. Devon Alexander is another good guy to watch, not as smooth as Rigo but very quick and controlled.

For KB/MT - Jerome LeBanner has excellent footwork as well, exceptionally good at cutting off the ring and staying in front of his opponents.

Yep, if you want to watch a SP with excellent footwork and positioning Rigo is certainly the one to watch.

For KB/MT - Jerome LeBanner has excellent footwork as well, exceptionally good at cutting off the ring and staying in front of his opponents.

Back