Fighters the UFC needs to market like they do Connor and Ronda

ssk96

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I can't figure out for the life of me why the UFC hasn't given a huge push to the few fighters that truly are marketable and could be huge stars.

The first that comes to mind is Donald Cerrone. The guy is the total package and the mainstream audience would eat it up if he got the exposure. He's got the look, his fights are always exciting, he talks shit, and he drinks beer and parties. He's like the Stone Cold of MMA.

There are other examples I'm sure. Who do you think the UFC is stupid for not giving a push? Rockhold? Lawlor? Or is there some reason for only having two huge stars? Or does it fall solely on the fighters to market themselves?

Thoughts?

Lawler, he is such a treat to watch fight but unfortunately his personality is as dull as a potato

Carlos Condit. Good-looking, well-spoken, exciting to watch.

Lawler doesn't like the media attention. Rockhold would be a good choice, but they are waiting for his Weidmann fight.
Cerrone would be awesome, but they think he could lose too many matchups.

Cerrone also gets his block knocked off by the likes of Nate Diaz.

PVZ is obviously being groomed. I can't think of anyone else who is marketable. Karate Hottie?

Lawler.

More than trying to market people like they do Ronda and Conor though, I think they should try to diversify their marketing approach for each potential star they have. Try to reach new audiences depending on who they have.

The up and coming young, HW knockout artist prospect with brutal submissions, Frank Mir.

Joanna Jedrzejczyk

11295848_10153459672634254_4306289043269887187_n.jpg

no one. they should stop worrying about marketing and let the fights speak for themselves. will never happen, oh well.

no one
the favoritism is disgusting

You're totally right. They should promote Royston Wee just as much as Conor. What a great idea.

I'm guessing you must run a highly successful business?

Lawler doesn't like the media attention. Rockhold would be a good choice, but they are waiting for his Weidmann fight.
Cerrone would be awesome, but they think he could lose too many matchups.

Well with Connor they blew him up before we even knew if he could compete in the top 5. Any fighter can lose at any time, we'll except for Ronda of course.
They need to be willing to back a guy who's a perennial top 10 and not make losing a fight the end of the world. That's why boxing is so fucked.

You can't just market any fighter like Ronda and Connor. Doesn't work that way. You can set up countdown shows and put the spotlight on them and they give generic fighter answers, they won't get the attention you're looking for.

Connor and Ronda market themselves using the UFC as a platform.

I can't figure out for the life of me why the UFC hasn't given a huge push to the few fighters that truly are marketable and could be huge stars.

The first that comes to mind is Donald Cerrone. The guy is the total package and the mainstream audience would eat it up if he got the exposure. He's got the look, his fights are always exciting, he talks shit, and he drinks beer and parties. He's like the Stone Cold of MMA.

There are other examples I'm sure. Who do you think the UFC is stupid for not giving a push? Rockhold? Lawlor? Or is there some reason for only having two huge stars? Or does it fall solely on the fighters to market themselves?

Thoughts?

You give too much credit to the UFC's ability to push a fighter and too little to the fighters themselves for being pushable.

Think of UFC promotional activities as a multiplier of a fighter's base marketability. Say at their very best they can multiply a fighter's profile by a factor of 10. Who would they rather spend resources on, a fighter with a base marketability of 1 or a fighter with a base marketability of 10?

Ronda and Conor are being pushed as stars largely because they are stars. They aren't stars simply because they are being pushed as stars.

Back