Fighters that were mediocre but became something special

Anderson Silva was mediocre in Pride, maybe he had some bad luck in his fights but he seemed to concede takedowns too easily and got into trouble by fighting on his back, maybe it was because of his earlier training background with Dela Riva/Nogueira.

Yeah, barely beat journeyman Otsuka

Masvidal isn’t special at all. But he’s mediocre as fuck and is making money now. So fuck it
If you stop just repeating what the lemmings here say you wont look like a fuckin idiot

Last edited:
Werdum was a fat sack.of crap, that literally got knocked out of the UFC by JDS.

Went on to end Fedors streak, came back to the UFC, in shape, with a rounded out game and became HW champ.
This is not correct. Werdum was never mediocre. He just came out of shape in that fight w JDS.

So being a former lightweight that went up and KO'd a massive welterweight in Darren Till (who just fought the former MW champion to a 48-47 decision) wasn't impressive?

Or arguably beating Benson Henderson when Henderson was in his prime or fighting tit-for-tat with a guy like Demian Maia in a grappling heavy fight wasn't special?

I'm not a fan of Masvidal's blown up ego either, but to call the guy mediocre doesn't make any sense. His skills are not mediocre whatsoever.

I totally disagree with you. He’s mediocre.

here’s a list of all his wins in the past 10 years:

Nate Diaz
Ben Askren
Darren Till
Cerrone
Ellenberger
Ross Pearson
Cezar Ferreira
Daron Cruickshank
Pat Healy
James Krause
Michael Chiesa
Tim Means
Justin Wilcox
KJ Noons
Billy Evangelista

- He’s never been an actual champion in any major organizations.
- He’s lost the few title fights he’s had
- His record is 35-14
- no long winning streaks
- wins are mostly decisions

I mean sure, he’s done a couple impressive things here and there. But that just does not outweigh the mostly average/mediocre career he’s had.

If you stop just repeating what the lemmings here say you wont look like a fuckin idiot

lol wow thanks sure. Masvidal is mediocre. I don’t care if you think I look like a fucking idiot because your mom never loved you anyway.

I totally disagree with you. He’s mediocre.

here’s a list of all his wins in the past 10 years:

Nate Diaz
Ben Askren
Darren Till
Cerrone
Ellenberger
Ross Pearson
Cezar Ferreira
Daron Cruickshank
Pat Healy
James Krause
Michael Chiesa
Tim Means
Justin Wilcox
KJ Noons
Billy Evangelista

- He’s never been an actual champion in any major organizations.
- He’s lost the few title fights he’s had
- His record is 35-14
- no long winning streaks
- wins are mostly decisions

I mean sure, he’s done a couple impressive things here and there. But that just does not outweigh the mostly average/mediocre career he’s had.

As someone who’s trained/fought before, nobody who works their way through the regional circuit into the UFC is mediocre, period.

Especially someone who’s been in major organizations for over a decade.

People don’t understand the skill level it takes to even make it there, let alone get a title shot.

Holloway looked like he was on his way to become a mid level fighter after barely scraping by Leonardo Garcia, losing to Bermudez and getting tooled by McGregor.

Back