Fighters that were mediocre but became something special

Id agree with Amanda Nunes as people like Bisping, Jan aren't something special.

Maybe Anderson, but a lot of people considered him as an underperformed instead of mediocre. Same with Lawler as he seemed like he had the tools but couldn't put it together before he started wrecking people.

I would never consider Rda mediocre I’m not saying that at all , but around the time he was losing to guys like Guida , Griffen , Stephens Tibau I never would have believed he would become champion
This. Guys like Lawler, Bisping, and Oliveira came into the UFC with a lot of hype and potential, but they fell short midway through their careers before going on their legendary runs. I didn't watch the sport when RDA premiered in the UFC, but from listening to older fans, it sounds like nobody expected much from the guy at all. Not only did he become a UFC champion, he also has fought every top LW contender going back a decade! He didn't always win, but he was rarely if ever blown out in a fight at 155lbs. RDA ftw!

Lawler comes to mind. I guess Blachowicz too, he's had a pretty long career that wasn't that special and now he's at the top.

Back when Gus fought Blachowicz, never would i have imagined that Jan would become champ.

There are a lot of guys/girls in this game that seem destined for greatness since day 2. While other come from outta nowhere. Someone who comes in demoing like nothing special but works at their craft and slowly becomes something great.

That is what really impresses me, is watching fighters grow over time.

Who are your best examples of mediocre fighters that were able to great overtime?

Aljo Sterling. He was mediocre and become something special. You can't argue that one, can you?

I dunno why ppl are mentioning Bisping. He was a career journeyman that caught lightning in a bottle for a couple fight stretch but he was never special even when he won the title. Look at his title "defense" against grandpa Hendo in his retirement fight lol....

Matt Brown. Dude was basically a .500 fighter then strung together a 7 fight winning streak out of nowhere and ended up giving Lawler a good fight for the title.

Wasnt for the title but it was a title eliminator

Anderson Silva.

underrated choice. he was about to retire after Pride but Big Nog encouraged him to keep training and fighting. then he came to the UFC and the rest is history.

He had some really bad losses in PRIDE but when he beat Mach he became the #1 WW in the world and a top 10 P4P fighter so despite the losses to Takase and Chonan he was already revered before then and wasnt really mediocre. He obviously got better in later years tho

Masvidal is a mediocre fighter but has reached the top popularity/money wise.

Kenny Florian. He wasn’t born physically special. He wasn’t super athletic either.

yet he worked hard and had a really great career. Finished tons of fights too

Charles Oliveira, trust me when I say this, the guy is fucking good

RDA is my vote. rafael cordeiro can work miracles.

Back