Fighters that represent Japanese Jujitsu?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I mean there is Tim Kennedy but that's about it. I know that the techniques are good and solid but the training in the modern Japanese jujitsu culture may not be the best in the west. But at the end of the day, original jujitsu gave birth to judo, bjj and sambo. These styles proved to be very dominant.

Mcdojo

mcdojo5sign.jpg

Carlos Newton can practically be considered to have represented Japanese Jujitsu. He didn't learn the original style in Japan but rather a more modernly developed version of the art in Canada.

It's closer to Judo if we're being honest, but still.

Newbie question. Is japanese jiujitsu even closer to the brazilian one? I know its older

I mean there is Tim Kennedy but that's about it. I know that the techniques are good and solid but the training in the modern Japanese jujitsu culture may not be the best in the west. But at the end of the day, original jujitsu gave birth to judo, bjj and sambo. These styles proved to be very dominant.

Just curious, what are the major differences between Japanese Jiujitsu and modern BJJ?

Carlos Newton can practically be considered to have represented Japanese Jujitsu. He didn't learn the original style in Japan but rather a more modernly developed version of the art in Canada.

It's closer to Judo if we're being honest, but still.

Carlos is truest probable answer to this question..

Hes from my province in Ontario and trained with the father gym to my Sensi japanese dojo gym back in the day...and thats the style i learn now..

I was planing on actually going to carlos's gym in my province recently to check it out and try and meet him and train in lead up to my first MMA fight but then covid hit

Carlos was awesome...

Last edited:
Just curious, what are the major differences between Japanese Jiujitsu and modern BJJ?

Japanese jiujitsu is a full combat system...

You study self defense techniques and weapon defenses and nerve strikes as well as striking , throws and takedowns similar to judo but many more variations and submissions. A complete style

Modern BJJ is a sport used to compete to see who is the best grappler on the ground

Japanese jiujitsu is a full combat system...

You study self defense techniques and weapon defenses and nerve strikes as well as striking , throws and takedowns similar to judo but many more variations and submissions. A complete style

Modern BJJ is a sport used to compete to see who is the best grappler on the ground

Thanks for the info!

In terms of grappling, are there major differences between JJJ and BJJ?

Anyone remember Jeremyjitsu invented by the highly touted Jeremy May?

Apparently it turns you into a YouTuber.

Back