Fighters that have knocked opponents down...

Chute Boxe Hero

Green Belt
Reaction score
With every basic boxing punch in the book?

This doesn't have to just be in their UFC careers but it'd preferably be better if it was.

1) Alexander "The Mauler" Gustafsson - Cross, Hook, Uppercut & Jab

In Alex's relatively early UFC run thus far (8 wins [6 by finish], 7 fight win streak) he's used his hands/boxing to drop:

- Jared Hamman with a cross

- Cyrille Diabat

Last edited:
Ummm Alex didn't knock Shogun down, Shogun had a flurry which Alex went down from but I wouldn't count that either.

On topic: JDS has a lot of variations.
Overhand on Cain, Stefan.
Left hook on Yvel, ManBearPig,
Uppercut on Werdum.

Only thing I can't really think of is straights, no doubt he's had a few. On Mir he got like three knockdowns, one of them was bound to have been a straight.

I thought he cought Shogun off balance... Im not the most neutral person in the world though ;)

Ummm Alex didn't knock Shogun down, the same as I wouldn't count Shogun's one on Alex a knockdown.

Yes, he did knock Shogun down. The difference with Shogun was that he caught his kick, punched him, and then immediately took him down. Alex punched him and he flew backwards = knockdown. The "knockdown" you're pretending Shogun had on Alex was also scored as a "takedown" because that's exactly what it was.

I thought he cought Shogun off balance... Im not the most neutral person in the world though ;)

He did, which is why I'm not counting it. Though a knockdown is a knockdown regardless of whether they were caught off balance or not. Shogun didn't slip and anybody saying he did is denying the evidence (the footage itself).

Yes, he did knock Shogun down. The difference with Shogun was that he caught his kick, punched him, and then immediately took him down. Alex punched him and he flew backwards = knockdown. The "knockdown" you're pretending Shogun had on Alex was also scored as a "takedown" because that's exactly what it was.

He did, which is why I'm not counting it. Though a knockdown is a knockdown regardless of whether they were caught off balance or not. Shogun didn't slip and anybody saying he did is denying the evidence (the footage itself).

What?

If someone's off balance I'd hardly call it a knockdown.

It's more of a push while on one leg sort of situation.

Shogun wasn't knocked down. Re-watch the fight. He was off balanced.

What?

If someone's off balance I'd hardly call it a knockdown.

It's more of a push while on one leg sort of situation.

Yes, it was "a push" with a series of 3 punches that were thrown and landing. :rolleyes: Like I said, I'm not counting it. Let's get back on topic here. Who are some OTHER fighters that've done this?

GSP's knocked people down with all kindsa shit.

Didn't finish em but knocked em down. Knocked Shields down with a jab the one time. Threw some kicks and shit against Hughes.

GSP maybe? Shields with a jab, Hughes with a hook, Fitch with an overhand, Hieron with a cross and a hook and I think it was an uppercut he knocked down Alves with in the 3rd round but to be honest i don't really remember.havent seen that fight in a while

He didn't knock Shogun down.

You're right, cuz Shogun just somehow magically slipped and did a reverse flying superman backwards. It's not like Alex PUNCHED HIM and landed or anything to make that happen. :icon_lol: Again, I'M NOT COUNTING IT. If it was a slip, which the footage clearly shows it wasn't, then Rogan in his commentary would've stated that it was or the judges would've seen it that way (which they didn't). Sherdog's Play-by-Play also calls it a knockdown and FOX Sports (Brian Stann's own words) calls it a knockdown too.

Last edited:
His KO of fryklund was a kind of uppercut :p

Sure, WITH an ELBOW! :icon_lol: That was badass too. Still my favorite elbow KO with Weidman's in the mix too (though he had to finish his with GnP since the ref wanted to see more apparently).

Sure, WITH an ELBOW! :icon_lol: That was badass too. Still my favorite elbow KO with Weidman's in the mix too (though he had to finish his with GnP since the ref wanted to see more apparently).

Yeh both are awesome. Weidman's was soo perfectly time.

TS, I love your strategy for opening up a Gus nuthugging thread very uniquely camouflaged as a "knocked opponent down" thread.... Good job, I like Gus too....

TS, I love your strategy for opening up a Gus nuthugging thread very uniquely camouflaged as a "knocked opponent down" thread.... Good job, I like Gus too....

Umm, thanks? I'm a HUGE fan, but, I actually opened this thread to FIND OUT if any Sherdoggers knew of other fighters that have been able to get a knock down with each of the basic types of boxing punches. I'd be lying if I thought I knew it'd be easy to name any though (besides Gus). :cool:

Back