fighters should only sign 1 fight contracts

One fight contracts could work great for the guys at the top of the heap. It would give them more negotiating opportunities to use the leverage they have. For mid and lower tier fighters it would provide more negotiating opportunities for the UFC to flex their muscles.

how does it give leverage to the promoters against the mid tier guys?

Promoters inherently have leverage against mid tier guys, primarily because there are a lot of mid tier guys and they usually are not big draws. One fight contracts do not cause that dynamic, but they would allow the promotion to maximize their natural advantage.

How does it benefit fans? Fighters ducking opponents all the time padding records against nobodies. Turning the whole fight game into a political mess. As for fighters benefit... not really. Spending every single fight renegotiating new contracts every time they lose their pay possibly gets cut in half. MMA would become more like Boxing with an even wider gap in pay between top fighters and up and comers.

Bingo.

Can you list fighters who had contract ended by the UFC before they fought all their fights.

I see no reson why a contract cant be negotiated on a per fight bassis..

its pretty simple the promoter is having an event they pick they fighters they want to compete and negotiate how much they will pay them. If the fighter has the belt he has to vacate it after not fighting for a year. if the two parties cant come to an agreement for a title defense after a year the champ loses his belt and the promoters division loses legitimacy.

This is silly.

Who in MMA can make stars besides the UFC?

UFC makes you, and you take your act to Bellator? They're investing in fighters and need some security.

This is a partnership with the fighter/ufc. Not a rape.

Promoters inherently have leverage against mid tier guys, primarily because there are a lot of mid tier guys and they usually are not big draws. One fight contracts do not cause that dynamic, but they would allow the promotion to maximize their natural advantage.
but how are they going to "maximize their natural advantage" to the promoter? I hear you saying they will have a bigger advantage but what aspect of a one fight contract gives the promoter an edge?

Guess I'm the only one that likes the sound of this. It benefits fans and fighters, only the individual promotions are losing power.

It definitely benefits the fighters, who I think should have more bargaining power anyway but definitely not the fans. If promotions are always fighting over top fighters, it becomes more difficult to match the best against the best. Hoping the MMA goes the same way as football with the NFL and hockey with the NHL. All the best fighters within one promotion sounds like the ideal situation for the sport.... but probably not for the fighters.

Orgs would be paranoid handling all that movement but I would like a 3 fight contract. It would be cool to see them fight top guys from other Orgs. :icon_chee

I think unless you are an org champ, all fighters should be free agents, able to fight in any org in an effort to improve their rankings. I also advocate rankings be governed by an international fighters association, of which the fighters belong and all orgs must work THROUGH that fighters association. The association would set minimum conditions for fighters and orgs to adhere to, track matches and rankings, events and so on.

I would suggest, for entry into tournaments and the like, 1-fight contracts should not work, they should have to fight through the tournament until elimination.

Belts must also be defended by reigning org champions, unified with another org, or forfieted (which makes any org belt - or those unified - up for grabs)

But free agents I think is the future for MMA, working through an independent worldwide pro MMA association.

The issue is UFC is probably still the highest paying MMA organization for 99+% of the fighters. If anything fighters will have more problems with 1 fight contract. If there was a fighters' union, it would be a different story.

So.... about that health insurance....

I am guessing the ufc takes care of medical stuff while a fighter is on contract.

Also, no one forces a fighter to sign a contract. Some fighters sign shorter contracts. Some sign longer ones. Risk/reward.

Yes of course, that's brilliant. It will be so much easier for the UFC to drop a guy if they are unhappy with his performance.

Yes of course, that's brilliant. It will be so much easier for the UFC to drop a guy if they are unhappy with his performance.

The point is they dont have to drop them because they arent their fighters in the first place. And like i already said. If the ufc doesnt want u to fight for them nothing is stopping them fron cutting fighters now.

why? is there a reason to come up with such a list?

Because you keep saying UFC can drop anyone even if they are in a long term contract. I just want to know how many had been drop before contract was done.

One fight contract is probably work if all other MMA org have the same money/influence like zuffa/UFC machine. If not why would you go anywhere else.

I agree. And they should be verbal contracts

Back