fighters should only sign 1 fight contracts

It's a two-way street. If the org (UFC especially) doesn't go along with a demand for for a single fight contract, what then? These fighters aren't going to refuse a chance to fight in the biggest show. It seems that your premise is based on all promotions being interchangeable. In the real world, this is not the case. Some promoters are MUCH better at promotion, and have MUCH better name recognition. Both of these facets factor heavily in the amount of pay and exposure a fighter receives.

You say (later in the thread) that this would benefit both the fighters and the fans.

The fans: One-and done contracts would UNDOUBTEDLY lead to pissing matches between promoters, creating all sorts of problems getting fights signed. Anyone remember the fun we all had waiting for Chuck vs Wandy back during the Pride days? Also, this would make it exponentially easier for fighters to avoid the matchups that they fear most. Good for the fighter, bad for the fans.

The fighters: Say a good fighter has 2 extremely bad performances in a row? Not only will they be offered less than they would from the org that they lost in (that's IF the org decides to sign them for another fight at all), the other orgs would be compelled to pay them less for their next fight as well, as they know that their value has gone down. This is compared to, say, a 6 fight contract, where more than likely, they will be fighting for the same org, and prolly without a pay cut.
Again...if a fighter has 2 bad loses and the promotion does not want to pay them what they are contracted to get paid in their next fight the org will cut them. Having a contract does not mean you have security.

You must have great life, it shows through your posts.

lalalala.gif

Whoa dude, you are more stubborn than a mule.

Would you rather be a temp or full time employed?

Just because you have a desk job, it doesn't mean you can't lose it the next day, but usually when you lose your job there is a clear reason as to why.

Same thing with UFC, of course they can cut you whenever they want, but no they won't cut you for no reason, because they usually honor their end of the deal.

Your problem is that you are stuck on this little part:

You should know that pretty much applies to any kind of job.

Take it easy on him, guys...he's so close.

IMG_0474_MrSpragge-Orange_LR.jpg

Guess I'm the only one that likes the sound of this. It benefits fans and fighters, only the individual promotions are losing power.

And if you lose? Get ready to make less money.
If you have a shitty fight even though you're known for good ones? Get ready for a lower offer on your next fight.

It goes both ways

I think it is the best way to keep fighter getting paid what they are worth.

Plus fighters can fight everyone not just fighters in the same org as them. None of the points brought up to why this is a bad idea are really valid. I would like to have a real debate on the merits of this idea instaedbof the regular "dumb idea newb" sherdog responses.

no.

If the contracts were guaranteed for the fighters then it would benefit many to sign multi fight deals for a set pay because they want the stability of knowing they have X fights over X time and will make X dollars, win or lose.

Many will gladly take that.

But the current UFC contracts lock in the fighter while at the same time the UFC can just release them anytime, regardless of contract, which is not something the fighters should want. For the UFC they have locked in the most they will have to pay while ensuring they can get out of it and pay nothing if they want.

Idealy we'd see something between the two, most obviously I think champions clauses should be eliminated and contracts should have guarantees that fighters can be active to stop promoters putting them on the shelf if there leaving ala Arlovski.

I just get the sense that this isn't going to happen though, that Zuffa will carry on milking the UFC for maximum profit until theres somekind of revolution rather than having a slow evolution.

And if you lose? Get ready to make less money.
If you have a shitty fight even though you're known for good ones? Get ready for a lower offer on your next fight.

It goes both ways

Fighters wilk get paid what they are worth. Losimg a fight does not mean you are worth far less. If people want to see you fight you will be paid like people want to see you fight.

Gus could command a lot more after his loss to jones if he wasnt stuck in his contract.

I dont get why people think fighters would get screwed if they lose.

Cute. Shouldn't you be participating in extra curriculars right now? It's easier to get into college if you join some clubs

Dont get butt hurt so easy. I actauly just wanted to explain what you said you know...have a discussion:rolleyes:

It's hilarious that so many of you think fighters are taken care of with nice guaranteed contracts. THEY'RE CUT WHENEVER THE UFC WANTS. THESE CONTRACTS ARE STRUCTURED WHERE THE UFC HAS ALL THE POWER. LEARN SOMETHING ABOUT THE SPORT YOU PRETEND TO LOVE

It's hilarious that so many of you think fighters are taken care of with nice guaranteed contracts. THEY'RE CUT WHENEVER THE UFC WANTS. THESE CONTRACTS ARE STRUCTURED WHERE THE UFC HAS ALL THE POWER. LEARN SOMETHING ABOUT THE SPORT YOU PRETEND TO LOVE

On top of your head in the last year give me 10 names of fighters that were cut before their contracts were up.

Dont get butt hurt so easy. I actauly just wanted to explain what you said you know...have a discussion:rolleyes:

Other posters have explained it pretty clearly and you give the same empty response every time.

You act like the UFC prematurely terminates contracts all the time when that isn't the case at all.

If you're going to say that 1 fight contracts benefits everyone but the promotion, give at least one decent line of reasoning that supports your argument.

On top of your head in the last year give me 10 names of fighters that were cut before their contracts were up.

off the top of your head name 3 fighters the ufc didnt want to keep that only kept because they had more fights left on their contract... I will wait....

Other posters have explained it pretty clearly and you give the same empty response every time.

You act like the UFC prematurely terminates contracts all the time when that isn't the case at all.

If you're going to say that 1 fight contracts benefits everyone but the promotion, give at least one decent line of reasoning that supports your argument.

I dont act like that at all. I act like the UFC keeps the fighters they want and get rid of the ones they dont.

i have given multiple lines of reasoning behind this being a good Idea I cant help if you choose to ignore them or dont want to debate them.

Last edited:
It may as well be a 1 fight contract, considering they can be released at any time.

It may as well be a 1 fight contract, considering they can be released at any time.

I dont see why other people dont see that? there is no real benefit to the fighter to sign a multi fight deal.

I think people would just rather talk shit to people instead of having a real discussion.

They're generally cut for a reason. Do we ever know the full story behind each termination? Of course not!

The UFC should have all the power. It's their business, their investment.

Can you imagine a bunch of clowns like Rampage and and Diaz Bros. in full control of their contracts, making ridiculous demands???

I dont see why other people dont see that? there is no real benefit to the fighter to sign a multi fight deal.

I think people would just rather talk shit to people instead of having a real discussion.

Most posters discussed this topic with you rather diplomatically. Some talked smack, but ultimately made valid points.

Either way, you don't get it.

Congrats on your Orange Belt, btw.

Back