1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Fighters Should Get Something Extra For Doing 5 Rounds

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Reign009, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Reign009 Not sure if serious.

Please read carefully as I may have already addressed possible objections:

One thing that never made sense to me was 5 round non title fights. We've just gotten so used to them that we don't think about it.

25 minutes is a LONG time to fight. At least in a title fight, there's an extra incentive to battle longer. (That being the title.) But what's the incentive when a title isn't on the line? It's called the Championship Rounds and yet we have them in non title fights?

Think about the damage a fighter sustains in 5 round wars. You've essentially almost fought 2 fights back to back. You could also have been winning the entire fight and get caught in the 5th round. Some will say, well you could get caught in the 3rd round in a 3 round fight. That's ok because everyone has to at least fight up to a possible 3 rounds (consistent rules for everyone in non title fights). Rounds 4 and 5 (in non title fights) however, are inconsistent factors.

Any 5 round non title main event on a fight night card could have been scheduled during a PPV and it would have just been 3 rounds. This is just not consistent.

Controversial opinion, but I say get rid of 5 round non title fights unless they guarantee the winner a title shot. That way they can help prolong a fighter's career rather than prolonging the fight.

johndhi, giovanni_ss, jsbx45 and 5 others like this.
  2. Reign009 Not sure if serious.

Also, fighters pace themselves differently for 5 rounds. They seem to be less aggressive and more conservative with their energy.

Zebra Cheeks and jitzmonkey like this.
  3. Fahcough Silver Belt

This is why it's hard to bark for more. Training to spar for 25 minutes instead of 15. I vote deductions each round there isn't a finish.

4. Reign009 Not sure if serious.

Like, as in pay?

jitzmonkey likes this.
  5. yekmurat Gold Belt

Last 2 rounds are mostly about cardio and durabilty,for me 1st 3 rounds are way scary and dangerous

6. Fahcough Silver Belt

Of course
    -10% at end of 1
    -15% at end of 2
    -25% at end of 3
    Don't finish your job, get half the pay.

Capsela and jitzmonkey like this.
  7. Reign009 Not sure if serious.

That's a terrible idea. Fighters have it hard as it is. Plus fighting isn't actually all about finishing sometimes. They're trying to employ a strategy to break down their opponents sometimes.

accolyte1022, randomg1t, D'z and 3 others like this.
  8. TJ Dillashank Purple Belt

Five rounds are usually what the most skilled fighters will fight at. They need time to figure each other out and set up things others usually would not.

9. Superman Elbow Purple Belt

Main event fighters get paid more
    /thread

10. El Fernas Gold Belt

So far there has been only one 5 round non title, non main event fight...both guys most likely got paid for their time, in other 5 round non title fights its because its the main event, and as the main event they are probably compensated accordignly.

jsbx45 likes this.
  11. Reign009 Not sure if serious.

That sounds good but what are we basing this off of? Just saying that from the flip side, if you're skilled, you'd figure out your opponent quicker. I'm not saying that's necessarily true, just saying that there's another side to this claim.

12. Gnome Chumpsky Orange Belt

I was about to say this. I'm pretty sure that main events are a step up in competition as well as pay.

@Reign009 if this isn't so let us know

Superman Elbow likes this.
  13. Reign009 Not sure if serious.

So, there's a bonus for taking a 5 round fight?

14. El Fernas Gold Belt

Is that you Dana? The show/win money is already a dumb thing as it is and you try to make it lower if there is no finish?

15. Superman Elbow Purple Belt

Not a 5 round bonus but I think its safe to say most the time the main event fighters are making more money than non main event fighters.

16. El Fernas Gold Belt

Nate Diaz got the same purse from UFC 244 (Main event) to fight Edwards, both 5 round fights, yet the end fight wasnt the main event or a title fight...he got paid as if it was.

17. Superman Elbow Purple Belt

Also just for the sake of argument there were plenty of main event fights before the 5 rounders that would have been much better fights if they had a couple more rounds and most likely would have lead to a finish which we all like to see instead of a dec. Yes fighters are more reserves in 5 round fights but it also opens the door to fighters being able to out cardio their opponent and "drag them into deep waters". There are lots of gameplans associated with cardio and taking that away makes pressure fighters with less power boring because we would never get the the point where they overwhelm their opponents who have power but worse cardio.

18. Dreyga2000 STOP TREATING SPECULATION AS FACT!!!

I’m pretty sure Main Eventers get paid more money

Krimzon likes this.
  19. Pious Augustus ...

Fight have tongues, they can speak for themselves if they wanted to.
    I'm done chasing their comfort

20. Hellowhosthat Steel Belt

Zombie said you get a bit more money for a 5 rounder when discussing the Ige fight I think.