Fighters making 12K show money stay in hotels for fight week? I would sleep in my car or in a park.

TS may have been a little snide, but it is a great question. Like chitoortiz posted above. What about out of country competition.

In Chaels book, there was a section that he went into about this topic causing him serious challenge(s), on multiple occasions!

It isn't like ~ 1 decade age is uber ancient history. At one time, only one corner man was paid for by the UFC. Chael footed the bill for the two others!

I don't recall seeing only one corner man working for preliminary card Brazilians fighting in the USA. Do you know if the UFC has adapted/ modified these rules.

I can't remember the exact figures, (and Chael was paid handsomely) but iirc he said a couple of his corner men (even one that was "suppose to be covered by the UFC" ran up like a $5,000 food/ bar tab on his dime. I LMAO'd about this with Chael, we know it didn't dent that fat wallet.

I can't say the same with a P.C. fighter out of country!

I'd probably just stick two guys in each room then, rather than sleep on a park bench.

UFC pays for the fighter and at least one cornerman: transportation, lodging, maybe per diem for food. I heard they do fighter + 2 for champions or main events, but not sure if that's true.

The original post was pretty dumb but it does bring up another issue. Even the $10/10k fighters rarely travel with only 1 cornerman. So when you see the usual 3 in the corner, then the fighter is most likely paying two of the expenses themselves. That would especially be bad for international events.

But yes, any sort of thread about money and taxes is funny. One of the best was when Liz Carmouche was fighting Ronda and said something in the Primetime about buying a couch. After the fight, Dana was like "oh she's taken care of, she'll be getting that couch". This simp posted something that implied Dana was buying her the couch as a way to avoid paying taxes. LOL

Dana was buying a way to avoid paying taxes. LOL

Most extremely wealthy do exactly this. It is REAL ugly when the IRS finally get around to impaling them.

That said I would certainly be joyous at the prospect and would GLADLY fork over $120 PPV to watch Dana and the F'bros get a pike aggressively rammed where the sun doesn't shine!:D

Even if they have to pay for the corner, a lot of time guys from the same camp fight on the same card, they can all pay for the corner man, specially if a +1 is covered by each fighter, just saying.

This.

At many events there is at least two fighters from the same gym fighting on the same card.

Obviously the match makers attempt to set things up like this to make it easier on fighter expenses. Sometimes it doesn't always work out with the amount of injuries.

How many people can a fighter have in their corner anyway? Is there a set limit?

Didn't Werdum and a bunch of fighters stay in Mexico for at least a month? Guessing they all chipped in.

Maybe the Ufc defense or Myles Jury can answer whether these sort of things can be claimed on expenses from the ufc?

This.

At many events there is at least two fighters from the same gym fighting on the same card.

Obviously the match makers attempt to set things up like this to make it easier on fighter expenses. Sometimes it doesn't always work out with the amount of injuries.

How many people can a fighter have in their corner anyway? Is there a set limit?

Didn't Werdum and a bunch of fighters stay in Mexico for at least a month? Guessing they all chipped in.

Maybe the Ufc defense or Myles Jury can answer whether these sort of things can be claimed on expenses from the ufc?

Werdum and a few others were living near Mexico City, outside of Toluca City, which has even higher elevation than Mexico City, but i dont think those were covered as expenses, more like their own training camp before the fight, but like you said, a bunch of pro fighters can pay that kind of accomodation easily, its not like they were in Vegas...

The costs for hotel when fighter is talking of such, is usually for sparring partners, family or friends. All orgs, even when I was an Am, paid for my hotel if I had to travel to an event.. Most paid two nights, weighin night and fight night. Faras Zahabi's MMA Fight Night up in Canada even offered to pay for plane fare.. I did not fight on the card due to passport issues.. Most experienced trainers/managers and fight camps will call the host hotel ahead of time to findout if the hotel has a group discount for rooms, etc.. For myself, my family, friends, training partners and motorcycle club actually pay for themselves to come to fights.. 2-1 as a Pro.

Its fight week and you are making 12k show money.

20% to the camp, 10% management $500 medicals and god knows how much in travel costs for you AND YOUR CORNER. Food costs for the week as well and hotel costs at $100 a night.

Wonderboy was making 24k to show, not a hell of a lot, did he stay at a hotel all week ?

I am wondering if these fighters are sleeping in their cars or the YMCA to help not take a loss on a fight.

Orgs pay hotel.

What if they need to go early to train or prepare for jetlag? You don't want another sea level Cain on your hands again right?

He was coming off of an injury and a lengthy break from the Octagon. We are not responsible for his performance.

Back