Fighters making 12K show money stay in hotels for fight week? I would sleep in my car or in a park.

LOL hotel is covered TS.

Imagine a US fighter having to fight in Australia and having to pay for airfare and accommodation.

It would cost the fighter thousands just to show up and fight for free.
Free!? After paying for everything the fighter would be in debt.

Guida has the right idea
clay-guida---rv-1381791882220_956x500.jpg

I'd be surprised if the UFC even paid (or rather cut a deal with the hotel) for the whole week or any expenses. Given the fact that they will only pay for one cornerman and you have to share a room.

THEY ONLY PAY FOR 2 NIGHTS FOR THE FIGHTER!!!! NOT YOUR CORNERMEN... AND ONLY FOR 2 DAYS... !!!!!!

TS is maybe exaggerating a bit, but he still has a point. If you remove 25-35% of the purse for camp/manager/medical, and everyone coming along needs to eat in restaurants and maybe stay at a hotel some days extra because of hospitalvisits/adjusting jetlag or whatever, it is really not much left..

I dont know what minimum wage is in the US, but fighting 3 times a year and receiving 15-20K every time, and paying 1/3 of it to cover manager/camp/help with weightcut etc is a pretty shitty pay for such a short career.

Why are they paying managers 20%? How is this the Ufcs fault. Sports super agents make 5% but for some reason every mma fighter has a manager that makes 20-30%. Dumbest shit ever.

BTW you can tell a lot of you have never had jobs.

Omg you're telling me that as a new employee you have to work hard, earn your way and probe yourself before making great money.

Gasp the Ufc are monsters for making fighters do what every other employee has had to do ever. Jesus you'd think 90% of sherdog were trust fund babies

Doesn't the UFC pay for the fighter and 1 corner guy's plane ticket and hotel?

Yes

They also give both parties a ride to and from airport and on the first day have a shuttle to take fighters to the grocery store.

At least they did in Vegas this past weekend.

They put al the fighters in the Monte Carlo instead of the mgm. Another fun tidbit about this is the double bed rooms don't allow for roll always. So unless you and your three corner men wanna get real familiar an extra room for the week even at a dump like the Monte Carlo was in the neighbor hood of 90 bucks a night.

Sprinkle in the Buffett at 3 times a day avg 20 bucks for 4 guys that's 300 a day roughly. The Ufc gives the fighter 50 bucks a day for meals

Just little things like that. This is the kind of stuff where reebok is hurting these guys. Damn near any local fighter could hustle up 5-10k sometimes more to some local business guy who is either a fan or a dreamer or both. Can't tell you how many times I've seen a local car dealership owner let guys use a truck from the dealership and throw in 10k to be the main sponsor of the fighter. And these guys are typical affliction shirt wearing old Guys that just wanna be around and say the know "a fighter in the Ufc"

Reebok destroyed that guy.

But seriously those guys making 12-12

For them to have 3 corner men. Two of em are coming out of pocket.

Try explaining that to some Brazilian jiu jitsu coach that lives at the gym. Or your buddy that's also a broke fighter but want him there.

These Ufc fighters really do have to have "support" from everyone to get by at that level.

I really don't understand why anyone with half a brain would choose to enter into this profession.

It really is some low budget circus show type of an attraction for all but the very top 5 percent of the athletes when you factor in long term Medical issues vs career earnings.

And that's the Ufc. Imagine the poor bums on a legacy undercard or other similar promotions. Some of those guys have 60 fights 30-30 records. Ouch

Last edited:
When you become a professional fighter you can do that.

I dont know what minimum wage is in the US, but fighting 3 times a year and receiving 15-20K every time, and paying 1/3 of it to cover manager/camp/help with weightcut etc is a pretty shitty pay for such a short career.

It is starter pay.
They don't make 12/12 forever.
They win and move up
They lose or get cut.

Even if they have to pay for the corner, a lot of time guys from the same camp fight on the same card, they can all pay for the corner man, specially if a +1 is covered by each fighter, just saying.

you know the ufc pays for the hotel, right

Just find someone in line in the lobby and sublet the room to them. Some of these guys would probably make more money off of that transaction than the actual fight.

We pay for air travel and hotel. We aren't covering weeks worth of staying in a hotel, this isn't a vacation for you. You are there to fight and get paid, not take in the sights.

Its fight week and you are making 12k show money.

20% to the camp, 10% management $500 medicals and god knows how much in travel costs for you AND YOUR CORNER. Food costs for the week as well and hotel costs at $100 a night.

Wonderboy was making 24k to show, not a hell of a lot, did he stay at a hotel all week ?

I am wondering if these fighters are sleeping in their cars or the YMCA to help not take a loss on a fight.
You forgot about shower and towel, locker, tax, and who knows what else. In the end, you will get less than 50% of the said 12k.

We pay for air travel and hotel. We aren't covering weeks worth of staying in a hotel, this isn't a vacation for you. You are there to fight and get paid, not take in the sights.
What if they need to go early to train or prepare for jetlag? You don't want another sea level Cain on your hands again right?

According to Chael's book, the UFC covers the fighter and like 1 cornerman. So they only have to pay for their surplus cornermen.

Back