Fighters looking past their opponent.

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by CastletonSnob, Jan 19, 2020.

1. CastletonSnob Green Belt

Sometimes, a fighter doesn't take their opponent as seriously as they should, either because they think they'll win easily, or they're thinking about a future fight with another opponent for a huge payday.

When has this happened? I think Tyson-Douglas is a great example. Tyson, by his own admission, barely trained for the fight.

2. MC Paul Barman Gold Belt Platinum Member

Miranda vs Pavlik. All Edison was talking about in the build up was his eventual fight with Jermain Taylor.
    I believe he even kept calling Taylor out during the pre-fight presser (Taylor was fighting Spinks as the headline... Miranda/Pavlik was an undercard).

Tommy Morrison vs Michael Bentt… Morrison also didn't seem too focused on Bentt. I could be remembering this incorrectly: but I think Morrison even made some comment about not knowing much about Bennt and not being too concerned either.

3. revoltub Gold Card

Not saying he looked past him but I think Sam peter expected to ko klitchko early

4. RawHawg Black Belt

5. Confucamus Last of the V8s Platinum Member

Juanma/Salido

6. soggyfist Silver Belt

Lennox Lewis vs Hasim Rahman 1

7. Fluffernutter Silver Belt

I miss Tuesday night fights.

8. mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

a million fights and a million big name fighters, sugar Ray Leonard, Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis, etc.., etc.., etc.., Hagler had a great way of looking at fights and fighters, so did Joe Frazier, that anyone is a threat, I don't think either ever overlooked anyone. Ironically, Eddie Futch thought Joe was a little overly Cocky against foreman the first time, I wondered if it was just him covering some real insecurity about the fight.

9. Hagler Man of wealth and taste

Just read Shadow box by George Plimpton - great book if you're into everything happening outside of the ring -, he covered Frazier - Foreman I for Sports Illustrated and confirms that Frazier looked very confident before the fight. Maybe it was a strategy, though.

10. mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

i have it, read a couple decades ago. Eddie futch said in an interview that he used to be amused how Joe would look at his opponents, as if they were something to eat, but with George, he tried to stare him down, which was out of character. Joe was the favorite at that time and he had beaten some big boys before but George was a force of nature, maybe Joe sensed doom. Also, Futch claimed he asked Kenny Norton what he saw from a sparring perspective with Joe, Kenny said "it feels like he lost his drive". Futch claims the entire training camp was fucked, and that Joe was fucking around a lot, cutting off some dress slacks to hop in a pool at one point. Doesn't sound like Joe does it?

11. Hagler Man of wealth and taste

Well, he had won the fight of the century - taking a beating in the process - then dispatched two halfway decent contenders. That's enough to be both a little shopworn and overconfident. Not the best shape to fight 1973 George Foreman.

12. mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

sure, I used to like his and haglers philosophy though, that every man is dangerous. hagler was probably more serious about that than joe. Also, Roy jones in his prime came in the same condition for everyone, never let down against anyone, unless you count the poor showing with griffin the first time.

13. Rob-G Green Belt

Nate Campbell vs Robbie Peden

14. ZOD66 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Joshua vs Ruiz

15. RawHawg Black Belt

I do too, a lot. What a magical time every Tuesday night, Shawn and Al and all the great memories. I wish I could go back for one Tuesday night in the 90s. I saw the show live once in Fort Lauderdale, got to see Bert Cooper ko Rocky Pepeli. Rest in peace to Smokin' Bert!