Fighters fight

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by WildCard, Mar 11, 2008.

1. WildCard

WildCard Blue Belt

Thoughts on this? I have been doing alot of burpees lately last night I hit the mits booom gassed hella fast what do you think about those people who say fighters get in shape by fighting?

I realize live sparring leads to injury (ground and boxing) but I do alot of live rolling and don't get injured i'm just curious on people thoughts on this subject.

2. mschatz

mschatz Hamma: I has it

fighters fight......and work on their conditioning

3. Centaur

Centaur Black Belt

Yes, yes they do.

4. WildCard

WildCard Blue Belt

lawlz alright you twisted my words tricky bastards.

Ok I will try again getting your conditioning solely from bag work, mitt work, live rolling, clinch work and stuff is what I was getting so no Work Capacity 101 no sprints yadda yadda if you need more cardio you hit the mits longer or roll harder.

Thoughts on an athlete getting all his cardio from that?

5. Adrenaline87

Adrenaline87 White Belt

Just getting your cardio from bag work, mitt work, live rolling, etc. just isn't going to work. What I tell myself everyday before I bang out my cardio, is that the reason I hate doing it, is because it works. Until you have the drive to do the cardio that just pisses you off, you cant consider yourself a serious fighter.

6. Centaur

Centaur Black Belt

You could go about it that way. Thing is, when I'm exhausted and my form is going to shit I don't care if it's burpees or Tabata in the bike. I DO care when it's mitts and bag, or sparring. I don't want to re-enforce bad habits or get those "injuries" that happen when hitting shit badly, mistiming a counter etc.

Look at your goals, and the best way to achieve them. Use whatever tool will get you there.

7. WildCard

WildCard Blue Belt

Good points thank you.

8. Dustin Ashford

Dustin Ashford Amateur Fighter

exactly i cant believe how many people try to convince themselves and other's that these half fast cardio approaches are all one needs for proper cardio. the problem is most people are afraid of serious cardio work and make themselves believe that sparring/grappling class is more than enough. you gotta keep pushing faster further harder for top notch cardio. and the one's who do are the one's that actually become fighters.

9. WildCard

WildCard Blue Belt

Why is working on the mit's bag or rolling half ass? It's only half ass if you train it half ass that's all i'm saying.

The only reason I incorporate extra conditioning is the reason that one guy said injuries and improper form..... otherwise i'd just as soon work mits till exhaustion/spar till exhaustion.

If you run half ass it's half ass cardio is what you make it jumping up and down is cardio doesn't make you hardcore just cause your jumping up and down it's how much effort you are putting into jumping up and down.

10. Nick Fletcher

Nick Fletcher Amateur Fighter

This should have been posted in the "When can you constitue yourself a 'Fighter'" thread in the standup forum.

11. spiral

spiral Banned Banned

I don't know, when I do judo, one hour of randori is just as taxing on the cardio as burpees... the problem is that I can't have a judo lesson everyday (in fact lately I don't have the opportunities to have any at all), that's why I have to resort to other conditionning means.

I know a guy who actually competed on the world military judo championship, and his training previous to this event consisted mainly in doing a lot, lot, lot of randori.

12. Graver

Graver Blue Belt

do it all...sport specific training and all around atheletic enhancement.

13. Jake Martin

Jake Martin Amateur Fighter

Personally, I think that the best way to condition for a specific activity is to DO that specific activity. I'd hit mitts hard, or spar hard for my cardio if I could...but I don't have the luxury of a 24/7 gym with ready sparring partners.

Sooo it's off to the garage for Bas, or some Ross styled asskicking....

14. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

You know you've reached a level at training that is benefical when you're hitting pads, getting smacked about by your pad holder and thinking about throwing a head kick instead of a mid kick where the pads are so you can hurt him and have a rest....but mainly because you want to hurt him.

Its a fun time

Also theres a quote from bas that goes something like 'a real fighter is the guy who sweats his arse off when no one is watching'

edit- I've always found conditioning that you can measure (like sprints or run so far in such a time) easier to quantify and see numbers progress then pad work. Once you breeze through 5 rounders (which takes like 6-10 months of consistant hard training to do if you're doing it properly), its hard to motivate yourself as much because you don't feel as bad (ie you become complacent)

15. Dustin Ashford

Dustin Ashford Amateur Fighter

well i try and work hard during sparring/ grappling sessions. and ya its great for cardio. but what im saying is if you just leave it at that your not gonna have top notch cardio IMO. infact i dont even concider sparring/grappling part of my cardio routine. every day im doin sprint or 2 mile's of intense running. using elptical/treadmill/stairmaster. obviously i dont do them all on the same day but every day i try to get in an hour of cardio an hour of stregth training plus boxing/grappling 3 days per week.

i understand most people dont have the time to do this every day due to work im layed off right now so lots of extra time for the last few months.

16. John L Sullivan

John L Sullivan Blue Belt

It's a balance. It's better to focus on form when you're hitting mitts and bags and technique when you're rolling. That's why Forrest Griffin says he does technique at the start of the day and conditioning at the end.

By doing HIIT and LSD and tabatas etc. you ARE increasing your conditioning, but you do need to have increasing experience in the actual ring so you don't give all that conditioning away with inexperience/improper breathing techniques/nerves.

Also, are you breathing when you strike. I see so many guys do it wrong, even experienced guys. Watch the boxers: gotta exhale every time you throw.

17. John L Sullivan

Stopped reading this thread just before this post. If I'd have read this, I wouldn't have bothered. Dan hit the nail on the head.

18. John L Sullivan

Yeah, what was it Rogan said on the last UFC?

"To compete in today's MMA, you have to do the things that suck." Said it about Tanner I think.

God, now I'm quoting Rogan. Ouch.

19. mschatz

mschatz Hamma: I has it

How far we've fallen...:icon_chee

20. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

You sexy bitch

If I had also read this I would have shut the fuck up.

I whole heartedly +1 your post

*holds hand up for high five*