lake619

White Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys think?

For me its made but i think some people are born to fight

What do you guys think?

For me its made but i think some people are born to fight

It's both, obviously.

Some people have incredible natural attributes -- killer instinct, timing, speed, etc.

Others have to work on it.

Every longtime instructor has stories about students with unbelievable God-given talent who got bored, distracted, burned out, etc. and didn;t amount to much.

The people who succeed are those who stick with their training, take a realistic view of their abilities, set achievable goals and work harder at minimizing weaknesses than maximizing strengths.

Necessity creates fighters. A person with no needs only has pride or anger which is weaker.

S&C?

Some guys are just born with raw genetics. Look at Mike Tyson as a prime example. At 15 he was a big kid, with super fast hands. Never seen a 15 year old throw like that.
But without hard work and determination, you will never get there, despite the raw genetics. So its both

Both. Rampage was born to fight, KenFlo was made.

Nature vs. Nurture.

The worlds leading psychologists can't agree on the subject, but I'm sure someone on Sherdog has the definitive answer.

At the lower levels guys can get by with one and a bit of the other but at the highest levels you have to have natural talent combined with hard work. Like most things in life, the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Nature vs. Nurture.

The worlds leading psychologists can't agree on the subject, but I'm sure someone on Sherdog has the definitive answer.

I lol'd. :icon_twis

The common sense answer is, both. But it's true, noone really knows for sure.

Nature vs. Nurture.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they all agree it's both...

Yep, agreed, although you can probably succeed with very little natural talent (if you want it badly enough) but probably cant succeed if you can be bothered to put the work in so I'm leaning towards "made".

"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration" - Einstein

I lol'd. :icon_twis

The common sense answer is, both. But it's true, noone really knows for sure.

I disagree. I think the fella who said necessity creates fighters had it right. I can't think of a single instance where someone born with a silver spoon has had natural fight instinct. Look at the truly tough fighters (who weren't born into boxing families): Tyson, Pac, Toney, Margarito (might be a cheater, but he's still tough as nails). They all come from backgrounds where fighting wasn't a choice if survival was the goal.

That being said, I think fighters may or may not be born, but champions are made, period.

I disagree. I think the fella who said necessity creates fighters had it right. I can't think of a single instance where someone born with a silver spoon has had natural fight instinct. Look at the truly tough fighters (who weren't born into boxing families): Tyson, Pac, Toney, Margarito (might be a cheater, but he's still tough as nails). They all come from backgrounds where fighting wasn't a choice if survival was the goal.

That being said, I think fighters may or may not be born, but champions are made, period.

First one that occurs to me is Bruce Lee, who was basically a rich movie star before he was in high school.

Then there's this thread -- http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f53/successful-boxers-privileged-backgrounds-902527/

^^ Bruce Lee is a good cite. A lot of the boxers mentioned on that other thread, though, were either born into boxing families (where they were made to fight), or, despite economic standings, still lived in tough areas. However, someone did post something that I think is true:

"Privileged or not, the will of a fighter cannot be specifically gauged on economic means or upbringings."

I think if you have the will, then you have the will. However, I think most nurtured people will never find that will because they don't need to.

^^ Bruce Lee is a good cite. A lot of the boxers mentioned on that other thread, though, were either born into boxing families (where they were made to fight), or, despite economic standings, still lived in tough areas. However, someone did post something that I think is true:

"Privileged or not, the will of a fighter cannot be specifically gauged on economic means or upbringings."

I think if you have the will, then you have the will. However, I think most nurtured people will never find that will because they don't need to.

Great point. I can't argue with that.

Depends on the type of nurturing. You don't have to treat a person like a dog for them to have the will to win. Hell, if you're in a position where you literally have to win or your family goes hungry, is it really willpower at that point?

bj penn.

i disagree. I think the fella who said necessity creates fighters had it right. I can't think of a single instance where someone born with a silver spoon has had natural fight instinct. Look at the truly tough fighters (who weren't born into boxing families): Tyson, pac, toney, margarito (might be a cheater, but he's still tough as nails). They all come from backgrounds where fighting wasn't a choice if survival was the goal.

That being said, i think fighters may or may not be born, but champions are made, period.

bj pennnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:d

Depends on the type of nurturing. You don't have to treat a person like a dog for them to have the will to win. Hell, if you're in a position where you literally have to win or your family goes hungry, is it really willpower at that point?

Good point, although I never thought you needed to beat someone for them to develop will. There has to be a motivating factor besides pride and ego, though.

To everyone above: BJ Penn is hardly a great fighter. He has the weakest mentality of almost anyone in the UFC. Great natural athleticism, but horrible mental strength. *puts on flame suit*

Last edited:
Back