fighters as the embodiment of their natural culture

How does Cain fit that? Just curious, coz I've never really paid much attention to Cain's personality (...does he have one?) so am interested to know in what ways he does.

Unless it's the 'American who thinks he's Mexican' thing which makes sense I guess.
He doesn't have much of a personality, that's right. Which is kind of what makes him american because they are so diverse that they don't really have a personality. But his hard working, first generation mentality is the kind of thing that oozes americana. Much more than the white, grizzly republican stereotype in my experience.

Current wand is how I imagine a lot of brazilians

no no no no no no no lol. Maybe some crazy grandparents in the countryside but that's it lol

For Randy Couture to embody his "natural" culture, wouldn't he have to gain about 150 pounds and waddle around like Butterbean?

I find it funny that some of the fighters that best represent their countries are the embodiment of their nations own perceived persona:
GSP - humble bilingual Canadian
Connor - Brash Irishman
Fedor - Stoic and indifferent to violence
Randy - "Captain America" - The underdog, poised, square jaw
Japan - Sakuraba the Kamikaze or the honorable Minowaman

And unsurprisingly these are the most popular fighters. These guys are almost characters from central casting. Goes to show that fighting ability is only a small ingredient in terms of popularity as much as most don't want to admit it. We like people who fit into out neat little boxes. Nothing wrong with that.

Here's one you made earlier...

stereotype_map_by_pokemonarenaart-d6kp9vb.png

USA = Has to be Weidman. Wrestler and cannot correctly pronounce his own name
North of England = Pearson. Bald, strong accent, salt of the earth working class guy
South of England = Hathaway. Posh and polite
Ireland = Joe Duffy. Self-critical, modest, quiet yet lethal
Holland = Overeem. Decriminalisation of drugs
France = Cheick Kongo. Charming, but will knee your scrotum if he gets the chance
Brazil = Correira. Shakes her "bum bum"
Kurdistan = Amirhkani. Tight knit family, good sense of humour
Russia = Fedor. Stoic, brutal and ursine

I would have said Mark Coleman is the embodiment of the USA. Winning over his opponents like the US army get 1 kill for every 250 million bullets purchased. You don't need strategy or technique if you can overpower your opponents so greatly. Steroids, cheating, unfair advantages, fighting smaller guys, losing to smaller guys when they have some semblance of strategy... all very American and Colemanlike.

inb4 Americans decide that the trillions spent on their wars to achieve less than a 2 casualty/insurgent killed ratio with all their aircraft and weapons against sand rebels with WWII era weapons is somehow a display of dominance.

Intredasting post TS... Good work

I would have said Mark Coleman is the embodiment of the USA. Winning over his opponents like the US army get 1 kill for every 250 million bullets purchased. You don't need strategy or technique if you can overpower your opponents so greatly. Steroids, cheating, unfair advantages, fighting smaller guys, losing to smaller guys when they have some semblance of strategy... all very American and Colemanlike.

inb4 Americans decide that the trillions spent on their wars to achieve less than a 2 casualty/insurgent killed ratio with all their aircraft and weapons against sand rebels with WWII era weapons is somehow a display of dominance.

Somebody is mad

I think Demian Maia is closer to the average Brazilian than Wand or these other crazy guys.

Here's one you made earlier...

stereotype_map_by_pokemonarenaart-d6kp9vb.png

That's not true. We don't see Afrikaans as racists. If Americans view South Africa as racists, it must be non Afrikaans or it's just propaganda.

Mark Coleman seems about as american as you could possibly get.

Back