Fighters and their unwillingness to cry uncle

mcdonkey

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What is up with fighters and not wanting to tap out? There's nothing to prove by getting choked out. You still lose the fight, and by not tapping out you endanger yourself to not be able to fight another day.

And since some people have this rule of just never tapping out, why is it all the sudden different for lets say a kimura or an armbar? People tap out to joint locks but they don't tap out to choke holds. It makes no sense to me. If your following a "I won't tap" rule, then why tap to an armbar? I mean your still crying uncle when you tap out to a joint lock. Doesn't make it any better than tapping out to a chokehold.

Discuss.

I never tap because as a man, tapping is like admitting that my partner is the alpha male and I am his bitch, sure it means 3 months off from a busted arm and shitting myself after getting chocked out but atleast I still have my honour.

I never tap because as a man, tapping is like admitting that my partner is the alpha male and I am his bitch, sure it means 3 months off from a busted arm and shitting myself after getting chocked out but atleast I still have my honour.

for real

To TS, do you actually train or are you just a MMA fan?

To TS, do you actually train or are you just a MMA fan?

Why do people always ask these dumb questions... lol... yes I do train, I do boxing and muay thai. So what's your point? That because I'm a fighter, I should be stupid and not tap out, keep my "pride", and break my arm and risk me never fighting again right? :rolleyes:

Why do people always ask these dumb questions... lol... yes I do train, I do boxing and muay thai. So what's your point? That because I'm a fighter, I should be stupid and not tap out, keep my "pride", and break my arm and risk me never fighting again right? :rolleyes:

Well, it is not a dumb question.

It is a grappling forum and you are asking about tapping.

I asked if you train so I can give you the correct reply.

It is up to the individual and sometimes it reflect their cultural background.

Some will refuse to tap and rather sleep.

Some will sleep but only because they did not realise the choke was really tight.

Some will rather let their limbs break than tap.

Most fighters taps.

A lot of macho attitude and adreline pupping when they are fighting.

“The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender.” Vince Lombardi

going out to a choke really isn't that serious, getting your arm broken is a different matter

If I fought MMA I would definitely tap to a joint lock but I don't think I would tap to a choke because there is still a chance to escape up until the second you go out. And if you get choked out, they just wake you up and tell you you got choked out, it's not a big deal.

I generally know about how much danger I am in at all times while rolling.

If I'm being choked, there is no need to tap. You won't die from a blood choke. People get choked out across BJJ schools every day and wake up wondering if it was a fight or practice that they got choked out.

I personally tap to any bad position that could result in a break or tear in practice and only if I'm going out in practice. In a fight or a match, I'll tap to armbars, kneebars and cranks. I won't tap due to blood chokes.

It's not macho. It's a reminder of where I stand in the pecking order. Wow, this guy could have ended my life if the ref wouldn't have shown me mercy. I mean think about what the real stakes are here that we're talking about. We're testing a lethal art in combat to prove the effectiveness of our lineage. Fuck some tapping.

If it's a BJJ World Championship or something, I'd never tap. Better take it home with you.

Why is it a big deal? Rather than think about when you are going to tap in your mind, you should be thinking how can I escape this as fast as possible. All this sounds like is TS got a sub locked in on some guy, he was stubborn, didn't tap, and ended up escaping thus leaving TS in a pissy mood.

I think its smart to tap if your arm or leg is in jeopardy

I understand their are cultural reasons as to why some fighters and BJJ practitioners dont tap... but I just fail to understand it still.
I kind of agree with TS. Why risk it? Is it worth being out for 3-4 months, and potentially my entire life, rather than simply admitting someone was the better fighter/grappler on that day?

I say swallow whatever pride you have, humble yourself, and learn from the experience.

I find it immature if someone refuses to tap and tries to power out of something like an armbar. They're just injuring themselves and disrupting their training by doing so.

Sometimes I'm reluctant to tap because I'm squirming for a way out until the last second. It's both good and bad- good because I gave it my all, bad because I will get sore the next day (throat feels bad, arm feels bad, etc.) I'm trying to learn to tap as soon as I know I'm trapped... might as well save the time and do some more grappling.

Hmm, how to be constructive here.

My first day training after I received my purple belt, last roll of the day I got paired with a whitebelt visitor. He was a friend of someone at the gym, had previous exp. Grappling from army combatives. He hung on for dear life when I would put him in a armbar, fighting to the last second. I said to myself "self, I don't want to break a whitebelts arm on my first day as a purple, but I will if he makes me." So I applied the proper amount of strength to get the tap.

Almost every day training I get someones back, and their defense againt my rnc is to drop the chin, however in training I never force the issue, I make a mental note that I let them slide, and move on to another tech.

In a competition it is hard to get someone to tap, you are going full speed and its a hard situation to get a submission. Not tapping to chokes is diff than not tapping to a joint lock. Meh, no real risk in getting put to sleep, however you are looking at serious damage from a proper lock.

I'm never ashamed of tapping. I rolled with some Polish lad last night who - although a respectful rolling partner - just would not tap. I nearly Americana'd his arm off and I just knew he wouldn't tap. Fucking lunatic. I did actually get a tap from a straight ankle lock, but I wasn't afraid to really crank that because I knew it would hurt long before it did any damage. It was a different story with the keylocks and armbars.

Donkey,

blood chokes won't kill you but it's dumb not to tap out IMO. Joint locks can break bones/joints and do serious damage to your body. That's how idiots distinguish between them. Intelligent people just tap, because it's training. There are plenty of times when I try to escape and know that I have about 3 seconds before I'm out, if I haven't made any progress toward an escape after a second/two, then I'll tap. Maybe some guys go out when they're cutting those decisions close, but others will just refuse to tap even if they know there's no escape. I don't see what this proves to just allow yourself to be choked unconscious. If I were afraid of being unconscious (I'm not, love booze), and/or needed to prove something to myself maybe I would do it for that reason. Or, if I was afraid that I was, deep down, a quitter, I might do the same. For someone without such insecurities, I'm unaware of what the motivation would be.

In the context of MMA... there people who just refuse to acknowledge defeat. These are the ones that often end up with the "serious damage" mentioned above.

It's nothing to get too worked up about.

If it's a BJJ World Championship or something, I'd never tap. Better take it home with you.
is your ego really this fragile? Wow you can tell the story to all your buddies "I never tapped! I am a bad ass" as your arm is in a cast for a few months.

That is some of the dumbest "logic" on the planet.

Back