Fighter of the Year?

The more I think about it the winner of mighty mouse vs Joseph benivedez (sp?) should be fighter of the year. If Joseph wins he will be 4-0 in 2013 and winning a title! If mighty mouse wins he will be 3-0 in 2013 with 3 title defenses. Let's actually reward fighters for actually fighting!!

I think if Weidman wins his rematch with Anderson,it has to be him. I mean he beat the arguable GOAT coming off a year lay off during which he lost his home and found himself in financial trouble and he did it on his feet. If he beats him again,there's nobody who can compare to the quality of win plus the story he has.

Other than that,i'd say Pettis.

I agree, but I think that's how this thing will play out.

sherdog awards are in mid-Jan. the right way to go, world MMA awards just need a date for the year end and thus some key fights are left out.

sherdog awards are in mid-Jan. the right way to go, world MMA awards just need a date for the year end and thus some key fights are left out.

Thanks for the clarification.

Than If Weidman wins again it has to be him. If not mighty mouse vs Joseph benivedez winner. The fact no one brings them up shows what the average person thinks of the 125 pound division. MM will be 3-0 if he wins and Joseph will be 4-0 if he wins the belt in December. All others are what 2-0?

Than If Weidman wins again it has to be him. If not mighty mouse vs Joseph benivedez winner. The fact no one brings them up shows what the average person thinks of the 125 pound division. MM will be 3-0 if he wins and Joseph will be 4-0 if he wins the belt in December. All others are what 2-0?

Yeah, altough I enjoy all divisions, I do tend to look over the 125 division ...

Yeah, altough I enjoy all divisions, I do tend to forget the 125 division ...

Honestly I do too! I had to go on wikipedia and look at their records. If it's fighter of the year we should reward someone who's been fighting frequently!

IMO it's between Pettis, Cain and Brown if they all win their next fights. Brown is in a tricky spot though because only one of his wins would be over a top 10 guy, while Pettis and Cain would have 3 this year, so it's probably really between them.

The more I think about it the winner of mighty mouse vs Joseph benivedez (sp?) should be fighter of the year. If Joseph wins he will be 4-0 in 2013 and winning a title! If mighty mouse wins he will be 3-0 in 2013 with 3 title defenses. Let's actually reward fighters for actually fighting!!

I agree with this somewhat. If Benavidez wins he deserves to be fighter of the year as 4 wins by a champ should ensure the FOTY award in most cases. If he finished MM 3 of those 4 wins would be finishes in a FLW division where people claim there's no KO power. If MM wins I would give it to Jones though barely for beating Sonnen with a broken toe in a wrestling match and being able to overcome adversity against Gus.

Because most champs only fight twice a year it's hard to say who's fighter of the year. That's why my vote would go to MM/ Joseph winner. That being said I don't have a vote or say :)

you gotta look at whom they beat to deserve it. Moraga and Benavidez are good/great, but then you take a look at who Benson & Cowboy beat, while Pettis beat both of them. Not to mention Weidman beating the arguable greatest 2 times. Not every ranked win is the same, the lighter weight classes are still catching up.

If Weidman beats Silva again, he deserves it. MM should be seriously considered if he beats Benavidez, again. Aldo, Cain (if he beats JDS), Hendricks (if he beats GSP) and Barao should be seriously considered, as well.

I think the answer is pretty obvious:

Conor McGregor:
Dec. 31, 2012: Almost kills Ivan Buchinger. He had mercy of Ivan

IMO Barao or Hendricks.
it is hard to vote for guys who will fight yet, because it highly depends HOW they win their fights.

Cain is also a strong candidate. but again, depending how he wins.

My vote for Barao is only because he had "to prove" he was worthy, and he beat great guys with ease.

My vote for Hendricks (if he wins) is because it is proven how hard it is to beat GSP. So any way he wins is impressive.

But quite frankly, I'd vote for Weidman, but as you said, with only one win this year, it is hard.
HOWEVER, if their next fight counts and he wins, he would get my vote. Doesn't even matter how he wins. because to beat Silva TWICE would be a feat any way you look at it!

Edit: Reading back the responses I am glad I am not the only one to mention Weidman, even if (like othesr pointed out) his fight would not count for 2013 (which is wrong IMO).

Back