Fight Stance

Hockeyfight

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm a lefty but when i'm fighting I tend to stand with my left hand forward instead of southpaw stance, I am better off trying to stand southpaw or keep it how it feels natural?

Im a righty but I fight southpaw..feels better and my Jab has a great snap..took some time getting my left hand up to par but Id say do what feels more natrual

Better to fight how you feel natural, but best if you train yourself to fight both. I'm righthanded but fight southpaw. It feels more comfortable to me, and my strong hand is closer to my target. Both are advantages when training/fighting. If you can fight both ways (right/left lead), it's good cuz you can mix it up a little better and keep your opponent guessing.

I am right-handed and tend to fight southpaw. It gets my right leg forward. It's my more powerful kicking leg. It takes less time for my foot to travel to my opponents head. Plus, I have decent power in my left hand, too.

Do what feels natural. Neither is a priori better, each has pros and cons.

Sem Schildt is a good example of a guy who is a lefty, but fights orthodox. That is why you see him KOing guys with his jab and front mai geri.

do what's natrual, but train for everything. Who knows, once you get the hang of southpaw better you might decide to switch...

Back