Fight Rumor: Joanne Calderwood vs. Michelle Waterson

Michelle Waterson or Joanne Calderwood

• Total voters
Dude, you're wrong. Don't argue with me about this. Michelle is one of my best friends, (she favorited a Twitter post of mine in 2012) and that gif is like 6 years old, when she walked around about 10lbs less than she does now.

Her last few fights at 105 were HARD weight cuts. In fact, the last one probably played a huge part in her defeat.

Ham was never a big 105er, and she even avoided Waterson when offered a shot at the belt because she felt Michelle was too big.

At this point, honestly, I think you are trolling. Waterson is an average size 115er and Ham is a small one. Everyone who knows anything knows this.

I'm the one trolling?..

I show you two UFC era pics, you ignore them. Apparently the 'significant difference' is not observable by eye?

I show you the gif proving that Waterson has thin bones - you dismiss it as too old. Is that really your argument: bones got thicker through her late twenties?

I honestly haven't heard anything about Ham refusing the fight specifically because her team considered Waterson to be too big, but it seems very strange given Ham's history at SW and her willingness to return to the division, taking on Calderwood and Casey, both of whom dwarf Waterson.

Karate Hottie all the way. JoJo is overrated, under-developed as a mixed martial artist, trigger-shy, and her pixie schtick is played out.

I
pot......kettle?
i
Poor choice of words on my part. I'm a Waterson ride or die guy, CPH is one of those people on the titanic who refused to believe it would sink even after the water was up to their necks

Very, very interesting match up. Could be a fun back & forth battle. I think as long as Jojo keeps it standing(which I think she will) she has it. Especially with the help of Tristar! :p
Also, that size advantage.

Jojo UD
Doesn't Michelle spar with Holly all the time. I think Waterson will be used to that size differential.

I honestly haven't heard anything about Ham refusing the fight specifically because her team considered Waterson to be too big, but it seems very strange given Ham's history at SW and her willingness to return to the division, taking on Calderwood and Casey, both of whom dwarf Waterson.

In one of the wmma threads someone posted a video interview with Ham, where she was asked about the Invicta title (Waterson was champ at the time) & Ham said basically that American fighters were too big and she wanted to continue training before trying to fight them... Then shortly after she signed with UFC and fought Joanna Calderwood lol. I would imagine the 10/10 + Reeboks UFC offered was enough to change her mind.

I

i
Poor choice of words on my part. I'm a Waterson ride or die guy, CPH is one of those people on the titanic who refused to believe it would sink even after the water was up to their necks

Yeah because at 10-1, her fighting career is clearly a Titanic-level disaster and expecting her to win against another top 10 fighter is pure delusion...

Come on man, stop with the hyperboles and try to have a normal conversation. I expect more from the average WMMA fan.

I'm going to give JoJo a bit of a pass on that fight. She was in a bad place mentally and Moroz is no joke. I'm far more negative about the fight she had with Courtney Casey, believe it or not. Yes, Joanne won. Yes, they got a Fight of the Night bonus. But Casey was coming into that fight on a few days notice and honestly (as shown in her loss to Ham) has the gas tank of a 70 year old man... ...even after a full camp! JoJo should have beat Casey from start to finish, instead it was a competitive fight... which Casey would have easily won if she had a decent amount of stamina.

Probably not a popular opinion, but that what I think. The thing is, Waterson can put on a pace like Casey did for the first couple of minutes for 3 rounds easily. I don't think Calderwood can handle that. Casey almost finished her.

I only remember 30 seconds of that fight being competitive......The rest was all calderwood.

I only remember 30 seconds of that fight being competitive......The rest was all calderwood.
That's because Casey's cardio lasted 30 seconds. In those 30 seconds, Casey almost finished JoJo. There was nothing competitive about it, everyone watching thought it was going to going to be a replay of the previous fight, where JoJo got instantly destroyed.

On a side note, it turns out that limited cardio from Casey wasn't a fluke. Even with a full camp for her next fight, she was gassed by the second round. She has the same issue as Alex Chambers, Angela Magana and Felice Herrig. 115 pounders with poor cardio. It's sad to watch. I don't think it's their fault... they just don't have it anymore.

I hope Jojo wins this one. In any case, if everything goes wrong, I think Jojo could be a successful ASMR artist.

That's because Casey's cardio lasted 30 seconds. In those 30 seconds, Casey almost finished JoJo.

30 s... Almost... In the same way that Rousey 'almost' finished Holm. She literally landed one big shot that rattled Calderwood then proceeded to get whooped.

Show the other 14 minutes and 30 seconds lol.
This is one moment in favor of CCS, later JC takes the ball. But it is obvious...
If CCS little better approached to this... well.

lol like Michelle has anywhere near the same power that Casey does, her pitter patter shots wont even effect Jojo

can see this being quite one sided

Looks like a fun fight on paper... Kinda hope Jojo pulls it off if this comes to fruition!

Yeah because at 10-1, her fighting career is clearly a Titanic-level disaster and expecting her to win against another top 10 fighter is pure delusion...

Come on man, stop with the hyperboles and try to have a normal conversation. I expect more from the average WMMA fan.

Michelle will be her absolute toughest opponent since Kankaanpaa. She may only have one loss, but continues to look unimpressive even in victory.

Michelle will have the experience, speed advantage, the cardio, and will have the important intangible of being coached by Greg Jackson. Jojo will walk out of the Octagon with a 2-2 record in the UFC.

lol like Michelle has anywhere near the same power that Casey does, her pitter patter shots wont even effect Jojo

can see this being quite one sided

Michelle is deceptively strong, but is also faster, won't gas, and will have a great game plan by Greg Jackson, who will have already picked apart Joanne's already known weaknesses, and probably find a few more.

Back