Fight Rumor: Joanne Calderwood vs. Michelle Waterson

Michelle Waterson or Joanne Calderwood

• Total voters
Michelle would be expected to murk the unranked, undersized Ham and get only a small boost if she won.

Pandering to us weirdo WMMA hardcores and our fantasy matchups isn't high on their list, unfortunately. :[

Maybe fortunately. I think the fights they made have a greater chance of being competitive.

We once had a long debate about a hypothetical Waterson vs. Ham match-up. I see your view on that subject is the same (as is mine: Ham would not get "murked" by Waterson). If they both win, maybe they will make that match-up and we can settle the debate once and for all!

Of course, I am happy to see any 115-lb fights get scheduled...I was just sayin'...it'd be nice if...

Jarl

Of course, I am happy to see any 115-lb fights get scheduled...I was just sayin'...it'd be nice if...

Jarl

I agree with you on most things, and this is one of them. Let's get some things sorted in this division! Some damn good fights coming up.

One thing about Michelle, she never puts on a boring fight, so pretty much any match with her will be good. Same can be said about most of the 115lb division, now that I think about it.

I was expecting great things from Tristar Markos, we saw how that went. Val and Randa left. Maybe Joanne clicks, but right now I'm wary of Tristar and female fighters.

Michelle is going to be even more of a cardio machine than ever for her next fight. I see her pushing a Condit like pace.... the whole fight.

Any source on Randa leaving tristar? I thought she'd be going back again for her next fight camp.

It's hard to be a calderwood fan these days, but she really does have all the skills she needs to win this fight. I just hope she has the ability to fight smart and stick with the gameplan.

Rats, this has the makings of a downright amazing fight but both JoJo and Waterson are my absolute favourites so I am bummed on knowing one of them has to lose - so no votes from me. Just hoping for a battle worthy of a performance of the night bonus if this actually happens :)

I just don't like speculating on Calderwood fights. She certainly has all the tools to bully the smaller Waterson. But that is what she should have done to Ham and instead Ham kept the fight reasonably close and regularly landed clean overhands on Calderwood's face. And, if Calderwood shows up all timid like she did against Moroz, Waterson may get to her early with pressure and sub-attempts. I honestly can see this fight going either way quite quickly...or possibly even going back and forth like Waterson vs. Penne did.

Jarl

Still remember the Jojo Calderwood Wallace WarWagon pre-TUF. Now every other person is picking against her. How times have changed.

He's ignoring Michelle's newfound
THICKNESS.

8QPtPDE.gif

Gott dayum. Every clip in which I see MW, she seems to be having fun. The guy that snagged her is one lucky dude.

Anyway, I am also one of those that couldn't decide between the two. I'd love to see Calderwood finally find solid success in the UFC, but I don't want to see Waterson stumble, either. I have no idea how the whole thing will shake out. As mentioned, Waterson always brings it, so I guess it depends on which JoJo shows up for the fight. If she fights with reservation, Michelle will probably stop her. If she brings the violence, it will be very competitive!

At least we'll hopefully get a new pair of shorts to bid on.

That's how Jojo looked against a complete unknown in Moroz.
I'm going to give JoJo a bit of a pass on that fight. She was in a bad place mentally and Moroz is no joke. I'm far more negative about the fight she had with Courtney Casey, believe it or not. Yes, Joanne won. Yes, they got a Fight of the Night bonus. But Casey was coming into that fight on a few days notice and honestly (as shown in her loss to Ham) has the gas tank of a 70 year old man... ...even after a full camp! JoJo should have beat Casey from start to finish, instead it was a competitive fight... which Casey would have easily won if she had a decent amount of stamina.

Probably not a popular opinion, but that what I think. The thing is, Waterson can put on a pace like Casey did for the first couple of minutes for 3 rounds easily. I don't think Calderwood can handle that. Casey almost finished her.

I'm going to give JoJo a bit of a pass on that fight. She was in a bad place mentally and Moroz is no joke. I'm far more negative about the fight she had with Courtney Casey, believe it or not. Yes, Joanne won. Yes, they got a Fight of the Night bonus. But Casey was coming into that fight on a few days notice and honestly (as shown in her loss to Ham) has the gas tank of a 70 year old man... ...even after a full camp! JoJo should have beat Casey from start to finish, instead it was a competitive fight... which Casey would have easily won if she had a decent amount of stamina.

Probably not a popular opinion, but that what I think. The thing is, Waterson can put on a pace like Casey did for the first couple of minutes for 3 rounds easily. I don't think Calderwood can handle that. Casey almost finished her.

Here's the thing...the only evidence we have for Moroz being no joke is that she whooped Jojo. She was brought in as a random chick for Jojo to beat. The Casey fight just confirmed that she isn't that good.

I'm not buying a breakup as an excuse for looking like shit. She didn't look good on TUF either.

Rats, this has the makings of a downright amazing fight but both JoJo and Waterson are my absolute favourites so I am bummed on knowing one of them has to lose - so no votes from me. Just hoping for a battle worthy of a performance of the night bonus if this actually happens :)
That's a good way to look at it, if one of your favorites lose, you want them going out with glory. Brian Stann vs. Wanderlei Silva is a great example of that. Similarly, Michelle also won a Fight of the Year award when she lost to Tiburcio. In my opinion, looking back on those fights, Stann and Waterson share another thing... they both fought kind of stupidly. To their credit, both have admitted as much. Stann says he just got caught up in the joy of throwing leather with abandon and Waterson said her swollen eye made her try "dumb shit" in an attempt to finish the fight quickly. Abandoning gameplans is usually a bad thing. Who would have guessed?

I got JoJo for the upset.

You are actually picking the favorite.

In this Sherdog poll JoJo is the underdog, but in every other list, Waterson is.

The Unified WMMA Rankings have JoJo in the top 15 and Waterson is nowhere to be found. (Robert Sargent is a certified Waterson hater, though)

The UFC has JoJo at #8 and Waterson at #10.

Fightmatrix has JoJo at #10 and Waterson at #18!!

MMAJunkie has JoJo at #13 and Waterson at 15.

I'm really curious to see what the odds will be. If JoJo is a favorite, I'm going to have to find a way to bet real money.

War Jojo! It's sad that fighters are still hyped based on looks rather than skill. Michelle "the karate nottie" Waterson may look good fighting cans on Bully Beatdown, but this asian PVZ was badly exposed by Herica Tiburcio. She ducked the #1 AW and her best win is over an injured Penne, a fighter who cannot cut it at SW. I see an easy win for Tristar Jojo and another hype train derailed.

War Jojo! It's sad that fighters are still hyped based on looks rather than skill. Michelle "the karate nottie" Waterson may look good fighting cans on Bully Beatdown, but this asian PVZ was badly exposed by Herica Tiburcio. She ducked the #1 AW and her best win is over an injured Penne, a fighter who cannot cut it at SW. I see an easy win for Tristar Jojo and another hype train derailed.

I've located you by GPS and have fired up the war wagon and am bringing the pain, all shiny and chrome.

Anyway, "long layoff" Waterson is coming. That version of the Karate Hottie finishes every opponent in devastating fashion.

Watch out fools, she's coming!!!!

Back