fight review

Shaddows

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Given all the controversy of Jon's last fight, I had an idea that might sound crazy, but could help resolve the issue.

If there's controversy on a fight result, the AC would meet with the referees and review the video of the fight.
Then they have a week to change the result or explain why the result should stand.
For instance:
  • We reviewed the fight, and we noticed Reyes was more aggressive that we thought while watching the fight, and he won rounds 1,2,4 and as such is the new champion.
or
  • We reviewed the fight, and we confirmed Jon won rounds 1,4 and 5 and as such he remains the champion.
They could back it up with data (i.e. # of strikes, time on top, etc).

I think that, if we did that, some blatant mistakes could be corrected.

What say you?

Sounds like you're setting a dangerous precedence

Reyes 1, 2, 3.

Given all the controversy of Jon's last fight, I had an idea that might sound crazy, but could help resolve the issue.

If there's controversy on a fight result, the AC would meet with the referees and review the video of the fight.
Then they have a week to change the result or explain why the result should stand.
For instance:
  • We reviewed the fight, and we noticed Reyes was more aggressive that we thought while watching the fight, and he won rounds 1,2,4 and as such is the new champion.
or
  • We reviewed the fight, and we confirmed Jon won rounds 1,4 and 5 and as such he remains the champion.
They could back it up with data (i.e. # of strikes, time on top, etc).

I think that, if we did that, some blatant mistakes could be corrected.

What say you?
Would make sports betting brokers/bookmakers extremely unhappy. Customers too.

Jon won. Let's stop pretending that an overhaul of the rules is in order

Jon won. Let's stop pretending that an overhaul of the rules is in order
this was something that came up to me just because of the controversy/back and forth of his fight.
But it was not about his fight specifically.

I was thinking about Machida & Rua I, Jon & Gus I, GSP & Hendricks, etc...

Would make sports betting brokers/bookmakers extremely unhappy. Customers too.
yeah... good point...
but then again, this is something I am sure they would fighure out (and possibly bet on it - will the result be reverted? will it not??? how about double or nothing??) ;)

this was something that came up to me just because of the controversy/back and forth of his fight.

Gotcha. My mistake, I don't necessarily disagree but I'm honestly not a fan of fighting being condensed into raw data and algorithms.
Fans think they want indisputable evidence but personally, the stateside obsession with stats makes my dick soft.
#KeepFightingNebulous

Imagine fighters protesting left and right, bringing their experts and suing the referees. Think about the time spent and how many future fights will be delayed or canceled

yeah... good point...
but then again, this is something I am sure they would fighure out (and possibly bet on it - will the result be reverted? will it not??? how about double or nothing??) ;)
Yep the odds on futures bets like that for jones fights would be insane. I'd be interested.

Imagine fighters protesting left and right, bringing their experts and suing the referees. Think about the time spent and how many future fights will be delayed or canceled
Real talk. Its ethically sound to want consistency but its essentially impractical and not worth fantasizing about

Sorry, but that's a terrible argument.
The fight is reviewed. if nothing changes, then nothing changes.
And not all fights should be checked. Only the ones that there's a clear outcry for review. Those are easy to spot.

And all those "imagine what happened if we could award proper winner" as being anything other than positive is just wrong.

When in great doubt over a close close decision judges should just call more often a "Draw", instead random declare W for the Champ as the most "safe" result

Belt stay in temporary limbo till the result of instant rematch

It would be a lot more practical and efficient to just let me decide the winner in real time. I can even decide the winner of wmma fights before they step into the cage, so they don't even have to bother going through with the fight

Sorry, but that's a terrible argument.
The fight is reviewed. if nothing changes, then nothing changes.
And not all fights should be checked. Only the ones that there's a clear outcry for review. Those are easy to spot.

And all those "imagine what happened if we could award proper winner" as being anything other than positive is just wrong.
Haha! Nothing ever goes according to plan. You are talking about ideal situation, but in real wolrd it doesn't work that way. Split decisions happen in every 10-th fight, at least. Jones vs Reyes wasn't even a split. Who is going to decide which fight to review?! Every wmma fight is going to be protested - 90% of those are decisions. None needs this.
Oh and imaging the buzz that Conor fans can generate to protest his every loss!

Haha! Nothing ever goes according to plan. You are talking about ideal situation, but in real wolrd it doesn't work that way. Split decisions happen in every 10-th fight, at least. Jones vs Reyes wasn't even a split. Who is going to decide which fight to review?! Every wmma fight is going to be protested - 90% of those are decisions. None needs this.
Oh and imaging the buzz that Conor fans can generate to protest his every loss!
again, you are just trying to make it difficult.
That's what the world heard for years from FIFA.
Yet now they have VAR and it has been, despite all the invariable cy of the losers, statistics show how they affected positively the game.

Yeah, it sucks if you think you won and then you lose. but the fact is: if this happens because of poor judging, you should lose.

And it is easy to see fights that there are controversies and those that are not.

A horrible idea. Can you imagine the opportunity for even worse corruption?

Isn't it just easier to not have complete fools with no credentials judge fights and get it right the first time?

again, you are just trying to make it difficult.
That's what the world heard for years from FIFA.
Yet now they have VAR and it has been, despite all the invariable cy of the losers, statistics show how they affected positively the game.

Yeah, it sucks if you think you won and then you lose. but the fact is: if this happens because of poor judging, you should lose.

And it is easy to see fights that there are controversies and those that are not.
VAR happens during the match, not after, and it take a couple of minutes at maximum. I am sure referees rewatch some moment between the rounds too.
What you propose is to wait if there is a controversy - means days after. Not going to work.

Back