Fight in 9 Weeks and Lifting Twice a Week

sssleeper

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I have been lifting for about 4 years now and have been into MMA for the past 2 years.
In 9 weeks time, I have my first MMA bout being contested at LW and I am currently 171 lbs.
Since I have been doing MMA I have dramatically reduced the amount of time I spend in the gym, I went from lifting 6 days a week to 2. As the rigours of MMA conditioning and sparring 4-5 times a week would be too much.
That being said, I have not lost strength or definition, I have actually increased the weight in my compound excersizes (probably in isolation exercises too, but I have not done a curl or tri-extension in 18 months).

Due to the MMA training schedule I hit the Gym on Sundays and Wednesdays and do a full body workout each of those days that usually lasts 45-60 min. Monday is usually a rest day and every other day involves 2-3 hours of grappling, sparring, wrestling and technique.

With my gym day I was in the habbit of doing things around the 5-rep range on Sunday and 8-10 rep range on Wednesday.

To be more MMA specific though, people have suggested that leading up the fight I should ditch the reps typically done on a Wednesday in favour of a power day where I simply do explosive excersizes involving medicine balls, body weight, etc.

So my school of thought is, that for the next 6 weeks I will do strength training on Sundays and Power training on Wednesdays... BUT when I am 3 weeks out from the fight to change it up to Endurance-type lifting Sunday and power still on Wednesdays.

With the fight coming up, I'm expecting my other training to be more intense and cardio to be hit harder than ever before on those days as well.

I am not too concerned with my weight as I am tracking my food intake and will make the necessary sacrifices to bring my calorie count down.

Are there any comments, criticisms, that some of the more educated posters would make if in my position?

If you're 9 weeks out, you want to cut out lifting and focus on conditioning, combos, and sparring.

I do the two day a week version of 5/3/1 and I'm doing just fine on it. You stop resistance training 9 weeks out and you are going to lose a lot of muscle size and strength; you might as well go down a weight class or two while you're at it.

^this 9 weeks out is waaaayyyyy too long to stop lifting heavy. In a recent article hieron was talking about how he lifts heavy essentially right up to his fight. Personally I feel like cardio should be taken care of as a natural reasult of a hard fight camp but I don't really take time offtraining bw fights so my cardio is always about the same. But I. Liked your weekly breakdown seems like u have a good reason for your training choices and a good balance no one on here ever thinks your program is right so if its working for youkeep it going lol

Back