1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Fight fans - way too fickle

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Tobacco, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Tobacco

Tobacco --------------------------------------------------

It's not too often I start a thread but I need to vent.

Given that Mr. Dawson has lost a fight (heaven forbid), the bandwagon is empty. He has no chance against Calzaghe, he is all hype, *smart* fans didn't fall for it blah blah blah blah. The ubiquitous word "exposed" shall make an appearance.

I think part of why the fight game isn't what it's suppose to be is the fans who go overboard as soon as someone gets an L on their record. No wonder why strategic matchmaking keeps being so extreme and top fighters don't fight each other as much as they should; because fans are too myopic and annoying.

Damn, it's like as soon as someone loses their stock falls so much. Larry Merchant said it right, just because you beat Tiger Woods, doesn't mean you are Tiger Woods. Tiger Woods didn't win every tournament, and if he loses a match, it doesn't mean he's not the number 1 player in the world.

Real boxing math, like MMAth isn't about if fighter A beat B, and B beat C, A is guaranteed to beat C. It's that every fight is about statistics, and any fighter can lose to another on a given day. Sometimes a fighter loses to a lesser fighter. So what. Sometimes a Hasim Rahman has his night against a Lennox Lewis. A Matt Sera comes up big against a GSP.

When Roger Federer was killing everyone on the court, he wasn't unbeatable. And when he lost, he'd keep a number 1 rank. Yes, Fedor Emelianenko lost a fight, doesn't mean Fabrico Werdum is a better fighter.

And it's amazing how fight fans can have an ability to make anyone's win meaningless unless it's over a prime fighter, who wins his 30 fighters prior and 20 fights after. Give me a break.

Top boxers should be boxing other top fighters all the time, and amassing losses in the process because of the laws of averages and statistics. You know, that's why so many of the fighters in the golden era of the fight game have 5, 10, 15, 20, sometimes more losses and still make it into the hall.

Now days we hardly know who the greats are because nobody is going to have the balls to fight each other when their marketability will go right down the toilet if they lose a few fights, and that happens because of too many douchebag fans who will ride cocks of unproven fighters (i.e. Gabriel Gonzaga bandwagon of he's gonna kill Fedor because he flattened Cro Cop) with unblemished records over "exposed" fighters because they lose a couple of fights.

2. Tropics1020

Tropics1020 Brown Belt

Calzaghe had the most picture perfect career i can remember. I mean look at this...

Calzaghe>Kessler
    Kessler>Froch
    Froch>Pascal
    Pascal>Dawson
    Dawson>Tarver and Johnson

Damn he must feel really good about himself this morning.

3. Bonos

Bonos Black Belt

Its a huge problem, every time someone losses they are 'exposed', 'overrated', 'this generation can't measure up' and if the fight is bad 'boxing is in bad shape'.

Blah blah blah

STFU

Pascal winning is good for the sport because he has a local fan-base. Its not like Dawson would have ever been some big mega star in the US, the public didn't care. Hopefully with this loss it forces Dawson to fight more often and not just wait around for HBO to give him slots once or twice a year.

4. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

We are fickle, aren't we? Idk. No matter what I like Randy, Lyoto (he's a karate guy like me!), Anderson (he's still good), from now on Chael (he came so close), GSP, and BJ (my jiu-jitsu idol). I used to like Matt Hughes but then I found out he got a girl knocked up and just left her, among other things.

5. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

LOL, nice

6. Steakeater**

Steakeater** Banned Banned

Is this troo? Cuz now i hayte him 2

7. MC Paul Barman

MC Paul Barman Gold Belt Platinum Member

You know this is the boxing forum, right?
    No offense.... just saying.

Regarding the post though.
    If nothing else - it does make Froch look like one tough mother flocker.

8. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

Perfect records sometimes reflect careful management..

Dawson took a risk and lost.. but at least he was man enough to take the risk. He has not remained undefeated before this by being carefully managed like some folks that just broke the surface of the world class level before retiring with their zero in tact.

For those that say he is over-rated.. look at the guys he's beaten.. One of them is ripping apart the heavyweight division right now and knocking on the door for a title shot there,

9. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

Sorry, I didn't know this was the boxing forum. I followed a link from the side page.

10. Tobacco

way to hijack my thread... jerk :)

11. Tobacco

Yup. He's beaten some damn good fighters.